• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yowamushi Pedal (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I have watched each episode weekly, but I can't really think of anything to really say about it. There is not really anything grabbing my attention, I tend to have no interest in sports anime, but I am still watching this anyway. I might drop it, but there has been nothing that really annoys me yet, and it has not become a chore yet either. I guess I don't like him singing, but I am possibly a hypocrite in terms of that.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
I think this anime is either for people who either loved the manga or love cycling or road racing.

In Japan, road cycling is a fairly minor sport compared to in the states or Europe, especially when you consider the percentage of the population that rides bicycles (since almost all of it rides "mamachari," not mountain bikes or hybrid commuter bikes), which is probably why there are only three cycling anime I can think of (Over Drive, Kamome Chance, and Yowamushi Pedal), which means the manga is only going to become popular on it's own traits, not because the sport has a big following, like baseball manga.

So I personally wouldn't blame you for dropping the series if you don't like sports anime, but I'd give it until at least the first season finale. Although the same can be said of any series.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I think this anime is either for people who either loved the manga or love cycling or road racing.

I don't agree with this statement at all.

1) I am not into cycling
2) I have never read the manga

Right now this anime is my current favorite of the season. Granted I am a fan of sports series (even though I have no interest in real sports). It's not the sports aspect though. There are a few things I love about sports series: the passion of the characters and the strong friendships that develop. So far I think this series has them in spades.

I am also a sucker for the type of friendship between the two main characters where they seem different on the surface but underneath they are more similar than they first appear.

Finally I find this series hilarious so far. I don't know everything is just working for me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I heard the anime was actually 3 cours at 39 episodes.

Yup, it is.

http://fansubdb.com/wiki/Autumn_2013
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...maybe a little too shounen for my tastes. The whole "I want to see...his pedaling" actually made me roll my eyes and crack up at the same time. I may give it another episode.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Pedaling technique is a real thing. A perfect cyclist would apply power to the crank in a perfect circle with bolt legs, whereas a real cyclist would look more like a figure eight, and would have slightly more power on one leg.

Like this

http://wattbike.com/uk/guide/cycling_tests/pedalling_technique_test/what_the_polar_view_shapes_mean

Oh, I forgot to mention that the "certain" cyclist they mentioned was, of course, Lance Armstrong in the manga, which came out years before he confessed to doping.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Pedaling technique is a real thing. A perfect cyclist would apply power to the crank in a perfect circle with bolt legs, whereas a real cyclist would look more like a figure eight, and would have slightly more power on one leg.
That wasn't my point. I wasn't saying that pedaling technique doesn't exist. You've obviously read some manga, so you know this is a common catchphrase "I want to see...his technique, style, spirit, etc" and the way that it was delivered in that scene for "drama" came out more funny to me than what they were intending.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
I agree with you there. There would be nothing for him to learn like a beginner. I think he was more interested in his cadence though, or he was just confused how someone who isn't a road racer could ride a mamachari that fast, because he realized he could never ride a mamachari that fast (he didn't realize it was modified).

At least he didn't say it aloud...
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I got tired of waiting and read volumes 2 and 3... do not regret it. lol.

It's not spoiler[ a shame he lost, in real life beating a high-level racer on a road bike with a 50-pound city bike, up hill, would be so ridiculous I would have stopped reading the manga on that very page.

Also, Sakamichi would still have to find three more members, which...]

manga volume 2-3 spoilers...

spoiler[...he doesn't. But he decides to join the cycling club almost immediately after he meets Naruko anyway, since he realized it would be the best way for him to make friends.]

Like the last two episodes, the slight changes and additions have improved on the original content. But considering that we have only covered 1 volume of manga, plus maybe a page worth of vol 2, I am worried that they won't catch up with the manga with a two-cour series. There are 30 volumes out so far, which at this rate would take over a year (60 episodes). And I seriously doubt the manga/anime will garner enough attention for a four-cour series.

FWIW, the anime changed a few facts.

very mild spoilers
spoiler[Sakamichi originally said he went to Akiba since the 3rd grade (anime is changed to 4th). The fact that they bought his bike when he was in the 4th grade remains the same.

Imaizumi originally states that he rides 70 km a day, not 90, and I think in the manga he might have said it outloud (it's unclear), but it makes far more sense for him to be thinking to himself.

The after-credits scenes so far I think are originals not in the manga, but they are funny, so I like them.

The one guy who said Imaizuma was "big" originally said "tall," which is more accurate. He's about 5'11" (180 cm), but obviously is fairly thin, so big is not appropriate. ]

I watched this episode while drinking alcohol and riding my road bike... in my room...on rollers. Just because. Hehehehe.

I never knew a person *could* ride a bike indoors on rollers. LOL

I really like your comments! They're very informative.
I don't like sports much in real life or in anime/manga (besides for certain Olympic sports. Does anyone know of a figure skating anime?) So I don't know if I could stick with this show for 39 eps. But it's cute and charming, and Sakamichi is such a great nerdy kid. That little Otaku spice got me interested. If it could go easy on some of the super annoying sports cliches like spectators expositing everything (Miki, shush! I want to watch the race!) and "I gotta...beat my rival/be the best/win the world championship Just Because!" Well, I might stick along for the ride (or part of it).
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote
Imaizumi is riding on rollers in the first episode.

From what I've read so far of the manga, it gets even more Shonen very soon.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was kind of staring at that scene in wonder. First, I thought he was riding a stationary bike, and then I realized he was riding his actual street bike, in his house! Wow!

So, does Sakamichi lose all his otaku interests as the story goes on?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

spoiler[I really like Naruko. He's something between Natsu & Naruto.
He's like totally excitable and flammable!
Nothing seems to be irrelevant or unimportant for him.
Nice to see Onoda's bike got a small, yet interesting upgrade.
He still needs to learn a lot about bike though..
Great episode, very exciting!]
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

From what I've read so far of the manga, it gets even more Shonen very soon.

The spoiler[OMG, HE HURT AN INNOCENT BYCICLE, HE'S GONNA PAY!!!! business already was way too shounen for my tastes. Perhaps if the guy actually had hit the damn bike with a hammer or something, i might have been able to relate a bit more...and the whole race afterwards was so over-dramatic, i'm not sure i'll be able to take all the drama once they start racing for real. :roll]:

But well, it's still fun and i like the characters, though the new guy looks like he was an extra in Hunter x Hunter...

Quote:
So, does Sakamichi lose all his otaku interests as the story goes on?

This will probably make or break this show for me. I hope he doesn't turn all shounen-sports-hero all of a sudden but still remains an adorable dork who sings silly anime songs.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

So shounen that the episode hurt to watch. The whole plot is eye rolling and I found the whole simultaneous conversation and that everyone happened to use the same terminology, to be rather frustrating.

If the show continues to be like this, than I plan on dropping it very soon.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
It's totally possible to have a conversation will riding a bicycle at high speed, as long as you're in good shape (which they are). Pro riders can talk will going almost full speed.

The terminology is the terminology. Obviously it's going to be the same.

Also, there is no need to tell everyone you're going to drop the show... because no one cares. If you don't like it, stop watching it. It's only going to get more shonen from here.

And it's a shonen sports show, so yes, characters don't always behave like real human beings, because it would be really boring if they did.

And I think the whole thing about the cigarette thing is a matter of manners and disrespect.

And you can totally catch a car in traffic on a bike (as long as they aren't actively trying to avoid that).

For what it's worth, the translations still suck. He is the SpeedMAN of Naniwa, not the "speed star." By the way, Naniwa is an old word for Osaka. And the guy was referring to the fact that he had a paintjob (which cost $10,000... paintjobs in Japan are crazy expensive).

In the manga, the Zaku II and Gashopon had their names changed but in the anime they had the real names. Funny.

Oh yeah, the opening shows some folded up rollers, for the record.

I heard the ending theme on the radio a bunch today...hehe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 30