• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non Non Biyori (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
The business about the key is authentic. I grew up in the country and while there were latches on the inside, there was no way to lock the house up from the outside. We also left the cars parked in the drive with the keys in the ignition.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The business about the key is authentic. I grew up in the country and while there were latches on the inside, there was no way to lock the house up from the outside. We also left the cars parked in the drive with the keys in the ignition.

I can back this.

While not the country per se, I grew up in a really small town and locking doors and cars wasn't something that was done. As a kid I distinctly remember visiting family in the city and thinking it odd that they went out of their way to lock everything.

Thinking on it now, as an adult...I kind of miss those days.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
so adorable, and beautiful scenery. should be a good replacement for Tamayura
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I mentioned this in the preview thread but I'll repeat it here: this series seems very inspired by a Japanese live-action film called A Gentle Breeze in the Village. It too took place in the country and revolved around a handful of students in different grades in an almost abandoned school. The transfer student is male, however, as opposed to female. Anyway, it's easy to find this subbed online and if you like this show, chances are you'll dig the flick (I loved it when I saw it at the Toronto film festival a few years back).

That live-action film is based on the well-known manga Tennen Kokekkō by veteran mangaka Kuramochi Fusako.

According to the home video company's site, the Japanese Region A Blu-ray Disc of the film has English subtitles.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0086TJSY6/
http://www.tc-ent.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=1827

WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru is simply adorable. I loved the 2nd half of the episode. Komari's "adult" clothes actually made her seem like a kid, while Hotaru's adult clothes completely fooled Komari. I was hoping Komari would find out that it was actually Hotaru.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I have never been so hyped to see a character go on a journey to the spoiler[candy store] before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
How did Komari not cotton on to who she was really hanging out with? Honestly.

The way that Komari was treated by Komari in this episode reminded me slightly of how Popura was treated in Working!!/Wagnaria. Interesting to note that they're both voiced by the same person, Kana Asumi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
@ hyojodoji - thank you very much for that information! I'm delighted to hear the BD has English subs. The movie isn't all that expensive on Amazon.jp, either. Very tempting...

eta: Order placed. Shipping is almost as much as the movie itself, but oh well.

Anyway, cute episode. Didn't expect things to take a spoiler[yuri-tinged] turn, but there you go.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
Hotaru is building quite the obsession with Koma-chan (forgot her real name). I didn't expect this kind of relationship to bud between them. I wonder if it'll go anywhere.

This show is still so 'lax. I love it. I can just chill out and enjoy the atmosphere. The scenery and setting reminds me of being a kid and exploring in the woods, taking whatever paths are available and visiting the one store we had in town. A little bit of nostalgia mixed into a real relaxing experience makes for a great show to wrap the day on.

Like I say, I hope it keeps not only this chill mood, but also simple storylines.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Do liquor stores count as candy stores? If not, then I've never been to a candy store either Sad

Anyway, I'm glad they finally explained who the random guy was lol it was bothering me during the entire first episode, but I'm glad to see he is spoiler[the older brother (9th grader) of Komari and Natsumi]. I thought that was a nice touch. I can't expect romances in cute shows like this, but I wouldn't mind a thing between him and Hotaru. The yuri is ok, I guess, but I can see it getting annoying real quick
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Again so cute, this is really relaxing.

Seems like the entire school is almost just spoiler[two families], the three elder students are spoiler[siblings and the youngest is the teacher's sister]. And possible yuri too, definitely reminds me of Kiniro Mosaic.

Komari's voice is perfect for the exceptionally short senpai character.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
That is not yuri, that is hero worship. Come on, we are talking about a fifth grader here. I doubt she would even understand the concept.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
I'm not gonna comment on whether it's yuri or just adoration, but I'm gonna point out that being an EXCEPTIONALLY MATURE 5th grader doesn't mean there can't be romantic feelings involved.
I mean it's anime. Even underdeveloped 1st graders know the concept on occasions.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - well, I personally used the term yuri-tinged as opposed to outright yuri... I think Hotaru has a platonic crush on her sempai. It's not really hero worship - she just thinks Komari is really small and cute. If anything, Komari hero worships spoiler[the "adult" version of Hotaru (not that she knows that's Hotaru, of course.)]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm OK with the phrase Platonic Crush. I don't think it is only Komari's cuteness (though that may be part of it). I think she is actually aware that Komari is an older individual. I should note that a more mature appearance does not mean that there is associated emotional maturity.

My take is that this show is about kids being kids. I may be wrong but we will have to have more episodes to find out.

I grew up in a couple of areas like that. Mostly dairy farms though. No rice paddies just hay and corn to feed the cows. No other kids within a half mile and no stores within walking or reasonable bicycle distance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15