• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non Non Biyori (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Plus, we both know it ain't officially yuri until we see roses in the background...

I'm really liking the easy-going, gentle humour of this. If pupa ever gets released, the two shows would make a double bill from Hell.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Plus, we both know it ain't officially yuri until we see roses in the background...

Or lilies, which is where the term may have its roots.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
I suspect that the reference is based on the idea that a lily looks like a portion of the female anatomy. If you have a very good, relatively depraved imagination.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
Maybe that's where it comes from, but one thing is for sure, lily is yuri in japanese.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
this show has been a good wind down show.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Good guy older brother. I didn't notice before but Natsumi is a head taller than Komari. I thought she was only slightly taller.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Poor Komari - she certainly has a bratty/pain-in-the-butt imouto. Scheming sensei cracked me up.

Looks like we're getting a Ren-chan eppie next week - good! Lolis are justice!
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Why is that onii-chan climbing quickly up my favorite male characters this season? I mean, he has no lines lol I'm not really into these cute anime series (I didn't like Kirino Mosaic), but I find this one really charming. Here's hoping for a Hotaru-Sugaru pairing! Though, it's very hopeless hope
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

You are bound to lose respect for your teacher when you find out that spoiler[she not only tricked you into planting rice for her family's farm by calling it an outing, but only did it to test how much slower it was than a machine that automatically does it]. I saw a documentary like show a while back that had adult city folk doing it and it was apparently pretty tough.

That brother just seems to go with the flow, must be pretty tough. After 3 episodes I would probably say I like Komari the most.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
So Renge named the spoiler[crab she found Salt and even mentioned briefly said that life feels salty] sometimes. Can she get any more adorable?! Aww, the latest episode was just adorable with Renge here and there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I loved/hated this episode. I could easily have lived the rest of my life quite happily without having to see spoiler[Renge so sad.] I found that just gut-wrenching. Come on, man, this is so supposed to be my "soothing" show. I don't need this shit.

It also pisses me off because it's such a typically Japanese reason: spoiler[oh, work is calling me back early? Well, of course that means EVERYBODY'S holiday is over because God forbid I go back by myself. HELL NO, THAT'S NOT THE JAPANESE WAY!]

Whatever. Hopefully, next week we'll be back to just soothing, low-key humour.
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't expect the 2nd segment to be to heart-wrenching. This show has been one of the surprise joys for me this season. Sweet, but not too saccharine.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think the entire second half of the episode was the salty watermelon metaphor: "like life". Definitely one of the top episodes I've seen in months and constructed for pure catharsis. Loved the bit with the sister returning from Tokyo as well, how's she completely showed up by the real deal. I guess airplanes would be in a country where trains can get you between most of the big cities where flying would just be a hassle. As an American, I'd be easily more impressed by the bullet train.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[That moment when she learned her friend had left for the summer... daaahhh... so sad! ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 4
"spoiler[It's salty...]"
"spoiler[Like life]?"

Laughing I loved that bit, and actually a perfect metaophore for the episode itself.

It might have gotten a little spoiler[heart wrenching], but it was nice, I don't even care there was basically a spoiler[minute of just looking at Renge's reaction]. The comedy was nice: Natsumi going from spoiler[feeling great to depressed]. Renge calling spoiler[juice trays "high-tech]", whenever she acts like she understands something and uses English words is so cute and funny. There was Hikage spoiler[losing her city girl status], I hope we get a little bit more of her before she leaves.

That is it, I am reminded of Yotsuba. This is really going well. I actually feel a little sad that the episode is over, that sort of thing does not happen often.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15