• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non Non Biyori (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

Rainy days, and sunny days. The picture Renge drew of herself sad was heartbreaking, but then we had the ending which more than makes up for it.

Kind of remembered my own childhood of exploring on my bike too.

Minami-ke, Ika Masume, and Yotsuba&!, those are series that along with this have had particularly funny Teru Teru Bozu scenes.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Damn. So much to say about this latest episode, can't really sum it up. So, I'm just say that's some brilliant BRILLIANT directing right there.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Anyone here know how to cook okonomiyaki irl?

That looks delicious just seeing it on-screen Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

Quite a bit to mention this episode, but I will hone in on Renge with Candy Store, and Renge in the adorable frilly dress.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Anyone here know how to cook okonomiyaki irl?

Never tried it but now I want to.

Kaede sure is nice isn't she? I doubt she sells enough in a week to pay for what that treat she made for the girls cost.

You have to wonder what's the idea of running a candy story out in the sticks where the total market is about five kids that rarely have enough pocket changed to buy much. I know she inherited it from her parents but it seems like his village is in decline and just couldn't support a store like that anymore. Time for a new business plan.

Along those lines it seems like the school has also seen much more populous days. It has at least one classroom per grade and a swimming pool. Now they are barely maintaining it. What could have happened to the village all the families moved away?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I thought that it was more than a candy store but also a general store, the kids mostly call it that is what they are interested in. She mentioned in the first season that she also helps ordering in anything that people need, as Natsume said she is often looking at plans in how to make more money. I would not be surprised if the store front was largely a base where people came for what they mostly get. And look at most super markets and you will often find things like candy because they are something that causes impulse purchases.

As for the population of the town/village, I have actually totally thought that Hotaru's family moving there has been part of a plan to try and attract more people. Either they are largely helping it, or a part where it is fairly common for small rural towns to incentivise young families to move in.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Season, 2 episode 6:

Very funny and also a beautiful episode.

I think I spotted a Precure reference. And this episode also gave me some nostologia because of the Summer atmospheric setting along with the ending with the fireflies at night. That really is quite a sight to see Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I think I spotted a Precure reference.

You think? They practically beat you over the head with it Laughing

Nice to see Natsumi come off as compotent for once.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Makes me think she has that kind of concentration issue when it comes to academics as for example Higurashi's Keiichi had.
She can be quite good when it comes to practical issues or something that she's interested in, but can't for the life get herself to learn anything dry.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Funny with Nasumi saying that she is not looking forward to her report card, which we know how that goes. I like it when a story actually puts two characters who in general don't actually normally interact with each other by themselves, good to see that Natsumi and Hotaru found something to talk about. Looked like just the small age difference made the shared anime talk hard.

I laughed so hard when they did the anticlimactic fireworks showing that it was one of the parachute types. Poor Hotaru.

Was Renge saying that Natsumi is like a candid (or whatever it was) a jab at saying that she is chasing onions or something in putting off her homework?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
^
The word was "katydid", which was right there in the subtitles.

Google it.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Was Renge saying that Natsumi is like a candid (or whatever it was) a jab at saying that she is chasing onions or something in putting off her homework?

I think I've heard her saying something like "girigirisu" which is probably the name of katydid or whatnot, and thought the wordplay is that she uses "girigiri" as it means "being hardly on time/last minute" referring to her doing every homework the last day, while "su" can be just the end of a sentence.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Makes me think she has that kind of concentration issue when it comes to academics ...
She can be quite good when it comes to practical issues or something that she's interested in, but can't for the life get herself to learn anything dry.

Clearly Natsumi has an active and healthy mind equipped with prodigious memory and inquisitive nature. Unfortunately for her traditional school learning is just not well suited to her genetic type.

In anthropological terms there are different personalities that evolved from the hunter-gatherer times. Gatherers are good at keeping their heads down, staying focused on the farm or the food preparation or the tedious tasks of living. Hunters on the other hand need to seek out things and are intensely aware of everything going on in the bushes in the sky and in the water. It isn't that they can't concentrate but they focus on what needs to be hunted. I have heard some experts say that they are often diagnosed with ADS when that isn't really their problem. Anyway, both types are needed in the primitive community but today hunter-types are seen as unruly and not well disciplined.

On another topic: children's disappointment is hard to deal with. Fortunately Kazu-san knew how to save the evening. I wish she could be a better teacher.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
At least as pronounced ( I don't know about the spelling) Hotaru's name means "firefly". At the end of the episode you could hear the girls making jokes about Hotaru catching a hotaru. Shame there was no way to show that in the subs.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
It's written that way too. Gives a nice double meaning to the episode title, with the girls, especially Natsumi, becoming closer to Hotaru.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 15