• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non Non Biyori (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote
I wonder why she's so sleepy all the time? It certainly isn't because she's staying up late devising intricate teaching plans!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 am Reply with quote
She secretly has a super degenerative neurological disorder that makes it hard for her to stay concious for large stretches of time. And or she spends her time dreaming of the children that passed away some time in the past and she blames herself for what happened to them, and thus would rather delude herself with the fantasy that they are still alive.

Or it is just a joke.

Writing that paragraph felt like pushing a puppy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

She is lazy. Being awake requires too much effort.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
She’s secretly stays up all night playing video games.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
She’s secretly stays up all night playing video games.

I like this one better than DP's dark musings! Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 4

Introduction to a new kid, Shiori, who creates a new type of relationship for Renge, being younger than her and thus referring to her as a big sister. She is younger, but might be the closest village age child to Renge's age, which creates an interesting idea of a future at the school, where Renge would not be the youngest.

Which kind of has me thinking, has time actually moved forward in the show, like Renge moved up a grade? Earlier in the season was spring and they already are in Summer with the tomatoes they planted having grown. Or is it like Yuru Yuri where time never seems to change, despite even the seasons changing?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:21 am Reply with quote
I think time does actually move forward, DP. I'm pretty sure they've all moved up a grade since the first season. God, I love this show so much. I always feel sad when an episode is over. I wish each of them was 10 hours long.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
God, I love this show so much. I always feel sad when an episode is over. I wish each of them was 10 hours long.

I know, right?

I really loved the look of excitement on Renge's face after being called Onee-chan by Shiori!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

"I'm Koma-Plushie!"

Mecha Koma-Plushie pretty much had me in stitches, right in the wheelhouse of this show's absurd type of humour. Great parts, like Pechi opening the door knowing full well what is happening, that it escaped, slowly walking, showed up later, and somehow came back.

Couldn't decide whether to make a Frankenstein's monster joke or the Terminator.

And then it treated like some sort of ghost story that freaks the real one out. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
The last episode was surprisingly tense for me. I didn't want Koma-plushie to get destroyed, damaged or permanently lost so I couldn't relax until it was safely back home. The one thing I don't understand story-wise is that I thought that Hotaru had made it for a school project... so wouldn't everybody have seen it at some point? Yet later on in the episode it was clear that Komari hadn't ever seen it. Plot hole??? Although perhaps when Hotaru presented it at school, she removed the plushie part and had a different voice recording. I really thought that Komari was the one who was going to encounter it on its travels.

I was also tense over Shy Girl getting discovered because I knew how embarrassing that would be for her, but it all turned out okay. Good ole Non Non Biyori!
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I love the games they grow up with in this rural area, and better still the games they make up. A slug that found salt was it? And then, that's how you ended up anyway...Anime smile
this show is sweet and funny in the most unexpected ways

I loved the Koma-plushie and thought this show did a great set up of the talk of animals in the bush and then the plushie coming back that way, made me laugh!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:27 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 7

Renge and Shiori are a blast together, Shiori just happens to ask the kind of accidentally deep questions that really match Renge, and also Renge being on the receiving end of what would be confusing logic.

Also, almost no words words needed to understand why Natsumi would not be happy about parent day, that her mother would get at her for not studying or something. The total failure was funny, that Renge beat her in maths, and the look of anger turned to a smile as it no longer just anger from her mum. It is an interesting contrast to how Natsumi was so proficient with setting up the fish tank, that when it is something she is actually interested in she does really well. I think that I put forward a theory once that she might have something like ADHD..

Also the blank stares from the other girls after seeing their teacher propose cheating with Natsumi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I was pretty much laughing non-stop throughout the last episode, especially the parent day and "deep conversation" bits. I kind of wish they had done a bit more with Candy Store as I always love her and Renge's double act, but oh well. Honestly, if I was in power, this show would legally have to produce an episode every week until the end of time.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Honestly, if I was in power, this show would legally have to produce an episode every week until the end of time.

You'd definitely have my support!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:21 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 11

This episode had me in tears at one point, not because all of the emotional stuff of Candy store recounting everyone growing up, or at least not the emotional way. Her drunkenly talking about how all the kids are doing well and growing up, before getting to Natsumi and there is just silence as she can't think of anything for Natsumi and just says they are all good kids. Just a really good silence and pause in this series, put at the right time, can be hilarious. I felt a similar laugh moment when we saw in the past Renge silently staring at Candy store for doing a subpar peekaboo, before giving her a baby strength slap. The episode also ended up on another use of silences and pauses, with Renge tucking in Candy store who tried really hard to hid that she was drunk, with I think the hint that she was still awake and felt tears from Renge growing up.

Looks like next episode will be a graduation ceremony for Nii-chan. An actual movement of a year of this show, even if just a final episode in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15