• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV to Release Utawarerumono

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
Shadow Warrior Chronicles is bland and generic but it at least implies that it is an epic action show. I'm not thrilled with the title, but it could have been worse, and I'm sure not going to let that stop me from getting it.

And honestly speaking, a literal translation, while nice for fansub watchers, wouldn't be much more marketable than "Utawarerumono." "Underwater Ray Romano" may have worked as it probably woudl have at least gotten people to pick it up and is pronounceable, but I thought that was just some sort of joke that English viewers came up with.

And this Title Mix Up Theory seems pretty plausible. Does ADV have another panel tomorrow?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
The title is disgusting. Not only because it has such a generic sound to it that the show's guaranteed not to stand out in this market, but because it really has little to nothing to do with the show.

Okay, "Shadow." I don't see anything here that's any shadier than any other fantasy anime. It's no darker than a Twelve Kingdoms or a Scrapped Princess and all the espionage that takes place is pretty out in the open. Does not apply.

Now, "Warrior." Meh, could kind of work, but given that the three principal leads are an amnesiac leader of a country that tries its hardest to be benevolent, a simple country medicine girl, and a loli with a pet tiger, having "Warrior" in the title is slightly misleading. All the warriors that get any focus are secondary characters. To use the aforementioned Scrapped Princess as an example, it's a lot like calling that series Bumbling Knight after Leo.

"Chronicles." Well, that part works. But then that's one out of three. Not a good score.

So really, what the hell was wrong with calling it "Utware," or "The Song That is Sung?" Both of those titles easily have catchier rings than "Shadow Warrior Darkness Epic Cliché Monster Chronicle Adventures." And they'd be more accurate, too, both to the original title and to the show itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
Also, someone mentioned earlier that they might have done this to produce buzz about the show, since ADV admitted to doing it before. The only problem is that the only real "buzz" it's getting is negative. Look at your casual television viewer. How many do you think would stay watching something called Shadow Warrior Chronicles? The name is just too generic and will get many people confused, I'm seriously not surprised that ADV isn't getting sued for some type of copyright infringement for stealing this name from something else >< If anything this will just make the general public's view of anime even worse because they will make complaints about how the title is misleading as well as how generic it is compared to The One Being Sung and other ways to translate Utawarerumono.

I'll have to agree with Nagisa, the name just doesn't fit, and as it stands they're more likely to not gain as much money as they would have if they left the name alone or translated it.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
The title is disgusting. Not only because it has such a generic sound to it that the show's guaranteed not to stand out in this market, but because it really has little to nothing to do with the show.

I just assumed that "shadow" referred to Hakuoro's mask, "warrior" referred to Hakuoro himself, "shadow warrior" even more so because of the spoilers involving what's "behind the mask", and "chronicles" because that's basically what the story is - the chronicles of Hakuoro's rise to power. While the name certainly isn't inspired or original, I still don't see how it's so illogical... but not many people see it the same way, I guess.

(Edit: Fixed a typo...)

Last edited by relentlessflame on Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Raoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
When I first saw the title, one thing popped into my mind.

People who don't know what this is will probably think its related to Macross somehow.

Macross: The Shadow Warrior Chronicles.

Ugh, I hate the english title, I hope fan's negative reaction is good enough for them to rethink this.

Still, the shows plot and everything is very good.

I'll probably still finish it before it gets released, I am too far engrossed to stop right now. Its almost over, anyways.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
Maybe they'll have reversible covers with the actual name on the other side, a la the crappy, bastardizing, yet marketable misnomer "Samurai X."
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
Or hopefully one better, and fan outcry will prompt them to reconsider the name to something more sensible like "Song of Heroes" (or a more accurate title along those lines). I mean, it's not too late.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Their actors are undistinctive, unemotional, and frankly, boring;

ADV have Monica Rial, Hilary Haag, Luci Christian... not to mention that a number of 'their' actors also work for FUNimation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zalas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

I just assumed that "shadow" referred to Hakuoro's mask, "warrior" referred to Hakuoro himself, "shadow warrior" even more so because of the spoilers involving what's "behind the mask", and "chronicles" because that's basically what the story is - the chronicles of Hakuoro's rise to power. While the name certainly isn't inspired or original, I still don't see how it's so illogical... but not many people see it the same way, I guess.

(Edit: Fixed a typo...)

Disregarding the fact that Hakuoro is more of a tactician than a warrior, just because the story somewhat fits the title doesn't mean the title fits the story. A title should be selective enough that one doesn't think of totally different things when one comes across the title. If titles aren't selective enough, you'd end up with things like "Revenge of the Demon" for Gankutsuou and "Ace Pilots" for Macross Plus.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Or hopefully one better, and fan outcry will prompt them to reconsider the name to something more sensible like "Song of Heroes" (or a more accurate title along those lines). I mean, it's not too late.

I suspect they are doing this for fan outcry, and then in ADVs wisdom, they change it to make the fans happy, because that is what ADV does.[/sarcasm] I think there is precedent for it.

Edit:
Sarcasm in a good and bad way at the same time, if that makes any sense???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
why not call it "HYMN OF LEGENDS"

Thoughts?
Raoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough, I just remember that after watching the last episode of Utawarerumono that I saw, I started wondering what they would call this if it had been liscensed (At the time it hadn't been, but this was around a week or so ago).

I finally decided that "The One Being Sung" would be too weird, perhapes just "The One Being". The One Being at least makes sense of the title, without being too confusing.

Thats my opinion, though.

Well, at least I have very little respect for ADV to lose anymore, either way.

I was hoping Geneon would get Utawarerumono, myself.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad it's licensed because it's a great series. But I dislike the title.

Still plan to buy it, though.
NinjaUmbreon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Reikijenosaido wrote:
why not call it "HYMN OF LEGENDS"

Thoughts?

That would work for me, I'm not sure about other people. Ether way I'm going to buy it since I really like the seires. I wounder if any of the games will be released here or if I'll have to import them?
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
Well, regardless of the title,which may or may not change by the time it's released, I am very interested in this show. It seems that everyone who has seen this show thinks it's really good. That's usually all it takes to get me to buy a show: Great word of mouth. ADV has a lot of my favorite VA's so I know it's gonna be great Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6