• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ravens (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Terrible and inconsistent animation.

Examples please.

Oh, and Harutora isn't compelled to care about Suzuka just because she's cute - like any viewer who is actually paying attention, he may not approve of her methods, but he likely sympathizes with her goal. It's not like she did what she did for personal gain or power. She was spoiler[resurrecting her brother and was prepared to give her own life] in exchange.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
So Hokuto was spoiler[ Natsume's shikigami] but Harutora is too dumb to figure it out despite all the obvious clues. YES! Kon appears next episode.

Bakatora~

Well, I actually felt sorry for spoiler[Suzuka this episode after what happened. There was a glimpse of her past too and she looked cute.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow...that twist sucked. Does this mean I won't get to see my favorite character of the show again? There's not many characters to choose from, so I don't find it too ridiculous that she's my favorite
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I'd say it's terrible yet, but it's not good.

That fight felt like watching little kids play fighting and coming up with everything as they go along.

spoiler[Kid 1: My guys have a FLYING HORSE and we're gonna attack you!
Kid 2: Well, my magic crab thing makes a FORCE FIELD!
Kid 1: My magic horse can beat your magic crab!
Kid 2: Well, I've also got a flying thing with fire and a Flaming Skull! he's gonna attack you too!
Kid 1: Well, I got a SELF DEFENSE SWORD! He can't get me!
.... Dragon.... fire talismans.... Defense sword turns into ATTACK SWORD]
... and so on...

I'll probably drop it when the inevitable psycho bad guy shows up and starts laughing maniacally at the heroes pathetic attempts to---"WHAT?! BUT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!"

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
i don;t think the fight is bad, but the CG is kind annoying me.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
Actually, after thinking more about it, I don't really understand the ending. Can someone explain to me what exactly happened? Not what happened between the blondes, but what happened with the protagonists
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

That fight felt like watching little kids play fighting and coming up with everything as they go along.

Kid 2: Well, I've also got a flying thing with fire and a Flaming Skull! he's gonna attack you too!
... and so on...

I'll probably drop it when the inevitable psycho bad guy shows up and starts laughing maniacally at the heroes pathetic attempts to---"WHAT?! BUT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!"

That's because they are kids, not so hardened badasses who have gone though 387234 battles. If anything the did pretty well for their first time.

I loved the teamwork and chaotic nature of the fight personally.

@Treeborn: What are you confused about? Touji found about Natsume's secret thanks to his spirit sight and keeping it as such for now.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
But what is the secret? Because I took the ending to mean that Natsume spoiler[created Hokuto as a way of keeping tabs on Harutora]. So, this has me worried that we won't be seeing spoiler[Hokuto anymore because she was never actually a person. She was just a sort of illusion created by Natsume].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
@Treeborn - that is the secret. It's just that Natsume is too stunned to understand despite the giant arrow clues that point to it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

So the twist is that spoiler[Hokuto actually was Natsume the entire time, she was created so that Natsume could watch him]. I think that if some of you think that it means you spoiler[won't see her again], you are being a bit shallow. There seems to be more of an implication of that spoiler[Natsume's personality was what she would act like if she was not forced to meet certain expectations, who she is on the inside].

Also I thought the dragon looked phenomenal, there is some very nice looking CG in this show.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Things took an interesting turn.
spoiler[Resurrection,] successful or not, always comes with a price.
spoiler[Harutora was pretty LOL and kinda useless too.]
Guess he didn't think through this "being a familiar" thing.
spoiler[Suzuka...] don't know if I should feel sorry for her or just hate her.
Would be nice if spoiler[Hokuto] would come back in some other form.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

... and so on...

"

That's because they are kids, not so hardened badasses who have gone though 387234 battles. If anything the did pretty well for their first time.

I loved the teamwork and chaotic nature of the fight personally.

It's not the characters or their inexperience I have a problem with, they're they reason I haven't dropped it actually, I quite like them so far. It's the writing of the fight I found immature. Everything is just pulled out of thin air, literally and figuratively. The fight comes off a bit like Calvinball, the participants seem to make it up as they go along.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Well a problem I had was wondering how he managed to hand the bow over so easily when it was slung over an arm which he was carrying a sword which would have made it difficult.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Actually, after thinking more about it, I don't really understand the ending. Can someone explain to me what exactly happened? Not what happened between the blondes, but what happened with the protagonists

spoiler[Natsume created a shikigami, Hokuto(same name as that Dragon), to spy on Harutora.
Harutora thought Hokuto died saving him. Even though he knows Hokuto is just shikigami, he became Natsume shikigam in the moment.

Basically Natsume tricked Harutora. ]
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

It's not the characters or their inexperience I have a problem with, they're they reason I haven't dropped it actually, I quite like them so far. It's the writing of the fight I found immature. Everything is just pulled out of thin air, literally and figuratively. The fight comes off a bit like Calvinball, the participants seem to make it up as they go along.

Yes it obvious at that point that Tsuchimikado duo didn't have master plan or anything. They didn't have time to come up with one and "played things by ear". I think that's fair given the circumstances. I don't see how that is a issue of writing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11