• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Bride's Story GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
@ Rebecca Silverman: Congrats on getting the manga reviewer position!

Re: A Bride's Story:

I love it. Yeah, there's not much story, it's pretty slow, but I don't care because it is possibly the most beautiful manga I've read. And hardback! With a gorgeous dust jacket. I read it pretty fast when I got it, but I'm going to go back and just enjoy all the detailed art.

I also like that it's got a setting that I don't think I've read about before, and especially not in a manga.

Can't wait til vol. 2.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. At the time this book was announced there were limited reviews of what the book entailed. Eventually we get the data about the age difference but where does the story take place? We finally got a copy in for fall circ. I have to admit Kaoru Mori's work is simply gorgeous. You can tell she painstakingly loves what she does. The design work really captured my attention that it made me want to know which ethnic group of Central Asia she was covering. This was mainly because I wanted to know how far fictional the story was. The area is known as the Causcus. The Causcasian (Circassian) folk. Which comprises many ethnic groups around European and Russians borders. I managed to find some images of the traditional attired worn during either 18-19 century. Kaoru-san managed to really capture the designs. She's also admirer of the The Silk Road. If you're a fan of her work it's definitely worth picking up. It really shows how far she can go with her line work. Simply beautiful.

*Who says you can't learn anything from manga.

Does anyone know if this series is going to be long running like Emma?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
To Kyokun703 and mad_scientist:

Thank you! I'm really pleased to be reviewing. I'm sure all of my reviews won't get such positive feedback, but I hope that they'll at least be interesting reads.

kyokun703 wrote:
I also like that it's got a setting that I don't think I've read about before, and especially not in a manga.

The book actually reminded me of an anthropological study done on the Ladahk people of Northern India: Ancient Futures by Helena Norberg-Hodge. While not totally of the same place and time as Mori's series, it gives a great flavor of Central Asia. It's a bit worshipful, but if you're interested in Central Asian culture, it's a good read. (Not dry like a lot of nonfiction.)
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
If the relationship stayed as non-sexual as you describe here, it would not disturb me more if it was a 20yr old guy and a 12 year old girl, but if it was a sexual relationship, someone who is biologically female is more vulnerable because they may become pregnant, and 12 year old girls are not as well developed for pregnancy as girls in their late teens/early 20s, more fertile, yes, but less likely to survive pregnancy and have a healthy one (plus, nobody should be made or made to remain pregnant against their will, and someone who's biologically male will not have to face that scenario). I'm not denying that such a relationship has greater potential to be traumatising for those of either gender than one with less of an age gap, but what I said above still stands.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
..hmm well i think i will pick this up.. for my own reasons.. ahem good review op.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
Now that, there, is kinda unsettlin'...

I wonder how much interest a story like this can attract. Putting aside the age issues, life of nomadic tribesmen isn't exactly the most gripping unless there's a warlord or two involved and a whole lot of killing and violence.

Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration, but most good stories revolve around some kind of conflict (not always physical/violent) and it doesn't sound like there's a whole heck of a lot of that going on. So if there's isn't that going for it and the awkwardness of the relationship doesn't get played up much, then it just doesn't sound like it has a great chance at staying in publication.

As is already the consensus, contemplative can easily turn to boring. Mushishi, which I enjoyed, could be lumped into that category. And at least that series had him matching wits with bugs.

Hmmm... matching wits with bugs does sound pretty stupid...

Anyway good luck with the job!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration, but most good stories revolve around some kind of conflict (not always physical/violent) and it doesn't sound like there's a whole heck of a lot of that going on.

Yes there are conflicts, in volume 2. Be patient.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
nechronius wrote:
Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration, but most good stories revolve around some kind of conflict (not always physical/violent) and it doesn't sound like there's a whole heck of a lot of that going on.

Yes, who's turn is it to wash the dishes or take out the garbage, and who's not listening to all the nagging or not paying enough attention to her. Laughing
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Arguing about who will do the dishes? Sounds absolutely riveting. Laughing

Honestly though it does seem like a title I would enjoy reading and I'm debating buying it. It looks like an interesting slice-of-life series. Even if the conflict involves making enough warm clothing before the winter season arrives.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Yes, who's turn is it to wash the dishes or take out the garbage, and who's not listening to all the nagging or not paying enough attention to her. Laughing

Your sarcastic comment was quite insulting in my eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Just in case anyone stumbles across this years later and takes it seriously: There’s physical conflict in vol. 2, but it’s not like it becomes a full battle manga so don’t be put off by that either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2