• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Get Down With the Sickness

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albanian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
re: Yet another Evange£ion $pin-off.

Quote:
How can this be allowed to exist? It's got such a weak storyline that even doujinshi artists who sell their work at convention tables could easily do better.

It seems to me that the 'tater stew' that is the Evangelion franchise is now being stretched beyond edibility. As Woody Guthrie put it:

'Mighty thin stew, though,
You could read a magazine right through it.
Always have figured
That if it'd been just a little bit thinner,
Some of these here politicians
Coulda seen through it.'

(Dust Bowl Blues)

I eagerly (really!!!) await Shinji Ikari: My Life as an Accountant.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Absolute agreement with everything Carlo says about Shinji Ikari Detective Diary, he truly hit the nail on the head. As a casual Eva fan, I'm usually quite interested in these alternative world spin-offs and seeing brand new spins on the characters, but I never expected this title to be so remarkably dumb. Granted, it's still nowhere near as dumb as Shinji Ikari Raising Project, for this one at least seems to be trying to tell a story without the distasteful fan service. But it's still dumb enough on its own, and although it's only two volumes I don't even care to know what'll happen in its final volume.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. For anyone who's interested in reading good, or at least worthwhile, Eva alternative-world spin-off titles, check out either Campus Apocalypse from Dark Horse or Angelic Days (although that one is sadly out of print before Eva fans that trashed it could give it a second look).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Sickness unto Death is only two volumes long, and just as well as spoiler[ it is plainly shown in the first chapter that she didn't make it. ] So the rest of the story is all about how she gets there. I'm now only curious about what's in the broom closet. Harry? Harry Potter? Is that really you? Laughing

Shinji Ikari, Ghost Buster. "You can [not] call me." Laughing
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
To go along with the title of the column: Shinji Ikari: Hard Rock Star.

Oh wait, we already have that series. It's called Detroit Metal City. :D
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Are You Alice at volume 8 still leaves a bucket of questions. And it's not just the manga either. I'm working through the psp game and it's pretty much just how the story is structured. It's not really supposed to make any sense for a bit.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
review wrote:
EVIDENCE AGAINST:
Sadly, Are You Alice? is one of those series that doesn't respect the line between mysterious and incomprehensible. The characters often talk in vague terms, using incomplete sentence fragments or referring to people and things in a roundabout manner. No wonder it's so hard to figure out their motives—or even establish basic facts, like who's on Alice's side or not.

In some ways, this could aptly describe the original Alice's Adventures in Wonderland..
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Evange£ion $pin-off.

€vang€£ion $pin-oƒƒ

There, I made it better Very Happy
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Voice Over!. I definitely agree about how pretty much every male character that isn't in Hime's circle looks the same. I most likely would have hated Senri if it wasn't for the fact that spoiler[he's obsessed with cats and half the time imagines Hime as one and then wonders what in the hell he's doing.]
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I think that it is too soon after ANN used "Down with the Vic-ness" for it to again reference the song (used liberally) "Down with the Sickness" in a column title.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Asch the Bloody, as I have stated before with this sort of thing, is really only for those who played the game. It's not going to make any sense to someone who's never heard of or played Tales of the Abyss. Many fans were clamoring for more background on Asch himself, and this is kind of a nice aside to that. The guy hardly got the spotlight in the game either, so seeing things from his point of view (kind of like how they did Lion's Side in the Director's Cut Destiny R) was a nice touch in this case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1