• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isaac Asimov's The Foundation Sci-Fi Novels Get Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Sweet I really like the book and then I lost me copy ill be looking for this on those site hoping some one will pick this up for the US
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
created into anime. by far, many other authors of the sci fi world could see this happen as well. William C Dietz would work great for the anime world.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I was never a fan of the Foundation series (it turned me off of Asimov for years) but I seriously doubt that a manga could do it justice.

I would hope that it would, at least, be faster paced as so it comes to the obvious revelation sooner. If memory serves it wasn't until the end of the second book where the location of the elusive "second Foundation" is finally explicitly stated, despite being ham-fistedly implied since about the first page of the first book. Dramatic irony, intentional or not (and Asimov was a competent author so it can only be intentional, I contend) irks me when it is protracted, as it was here.

That The Mule, for all his purported brilliance and mind-turbocharging magic, couldn't figure the location of the 2nd Foundation out a)sooner & b)himself kinda reduces his supergenius to what the ANN-endorsed site TVTropes calls a "told ability".
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
I soooo want to see this, and see it made into anime! I loves me some Asimov! Smile
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I would hope that it would, at least, be faster paced as so it comes to the obvious revelation sooner. If memory serves it wasn't until the end of the second book where the location of the elusive "second Foundation" is finally explicitly stated, despite being ham-fistedly implied since about the first page of the first book. Dramatic irony, intentional or not (and Asimov was a competent author so it can only be intentional, I contend) irks me when it is protracted, as it was here.
What point would there be revealing the location before then? When something's completely irrelevant, "being ham-fistedly implied" is more than enough.
Quote:
That The Mule, for all his purported brilliance and mind-turbocharging magic, couldn't figure the location of the 2nd Foundation out a)sooner & b)himself kinda reduces his supergenius to what the ANN-endorsed site TVTropes calls a "told ability".
You're ignoring the cultural bias that surrounded him. Once an idea gets into someone's head, very few people are apt to let it go easily, no matter how otherwise intelligent. Brilliance and mental flexibility are two completely different things.
SPQRGuyMontag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is so successful it spawns an anime!
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
You're ignoring the cultural bias that surrounded him. Once an idea gets into someone's head, very few people are apt to let it go easily, no matter how otherwise intelligent. Brilliance and mental flexibility are two completely different things.

@Echo_City
Why would The Mule be able to figure out the location of the second Foundation? His powers allow him to spoiler[manipulate and read emotions, not read a person's actual thoughts. That's where his plan failed because he had no idea that Bayta (the only person whose emotions he didn't manipulate) was going to kill Ebling just as he was going to reveal its location.]

Another thing is that spoiler[Ebling was the only person able to figure out the Second Foundation's location since he was the last, if not one of the last, psycho-historians.]
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
As a huge Asimov's fan I can only be happy! I hope they will make an anime too! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2