• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Confused about Naruto

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Okay. What I am confused about is that they DO have technology yet they do not use it. For example, in the preliminary tournament fights there's a huge tv screen that comes out of the wall to display who will fight eachother. But yet they don't have cars or anything. They live very primitive. How come they have some devices (like the TV) yet they do not have cars or radios and other things we have today???
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I do know the reason as to why they don't use weapons such as guns and cannons, and that's because in an interview with Masashi Kishimoto, he said that he think it'd too cheap if you could easily kill a ninja with a gun and then that'd be the end of it. Although, I don't really understand why in the first Naruto movie spoiler[they have those cannon-like things in the side of the train which shot out kunai and sharp objects, and then they had a zeppelin flying in the air which Naruto grabbed onto with a rope attached to a kunai. Also, in the beginning of the movie, they were watching a movie, and during the movie, they were "filming" a movie.] But then again, those weren't works of Masashi Kishimoto. He didn't create the manga for the movies, they were just animated filler-like movies, which were later adapted to animanga.

Maybe some of that will explain your question.
nailz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
*lol* Don't think about it too hard. Ninja don't need cars, right. Have you seen Fullmetal Alchemist? Shouldn't they all have cell phones and what's with the old train? It's artistic license. Very Happy
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I know. I noticed that too. Wventhough there are no cars, no guns, no robots, or computers.

Encyclopedia on Naruto wrote:
Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Shounen, Supernatural

Since most animes that are fantasy and historical have no technology, Naruto seemed to have it. Those crazy designers. Razz

What's next? Cyborgs in an anime about knights, wizards, and dragons?

Off-Topic: You know, Final Fantasy games that have knights, castles, and dragons always have airships piloted by someone named Cid.

Last edited by Riyousha on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
hey why not cyborgs are awsome. Wink I also had that same question and they even have computers and pretty advanced life support systems in the medical facilities. Guess nailz is right though there is no need to think to deep it probably is just a little artistic design like in wolfs rain with the spoiler[black knights that shot out shock waves out of there sheilds and fought useing axes occasionally. They also used tanks and armoured cars.]Though I often wondered why the feudel lords don't ride around in a jeep or some sort of car, some of them are quite rich, of course I guess it would just serve to disrupt the theme and story line if the ninjas started packing high explosives and AK-47's. Wink
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
You shouldn't associate the use of technology with anime. In anime, there are always crazy absurd things occurring, so you shouldn’t worry and or get puzzled.
Riyousha wrote:
Those crazy Japanese designers.

Is that a positive or negative comment?

Riyousha wrote:
Off-Topic: You know, Final Fantasy games that have knights, castles, and dragons always have airships piloted by someone named Cid.

Without Cid in them ships, they wouldn't be Final Fantasy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, well in the pilot Naruto story there were guns, but I thought it was a good idea for Kishimoto to scrap that when he created the actual story. There is technology present in Naruto: it's an alternate reality, rather than alternate history (the anime seems to forget that sometimes, adding in all those feudal lords. Anime dazed There's no evidence of feudalism in the manga). But there's only enough technology to help flesh out the world, rather than work against it. As for the Naruto movies... Again, I think that's just Studio Pierrot taking liberties and trying to expand the Naruto world. Rather badly though. Rolling Eyes
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is that a positive or negative comment?

Acually, If something is either wierd, or confusing, it means it's only made in Japan. Take Katamari Damashi. The game looks very crazy and confusing (eventhough X-Play gave it a 5/5). But since I don't know if the comment is + or -, I'll just get rid of the word "Japanese".

Quote:
Without Cid in them ships, they wouldn't be Final Fantasy.

I know. How will Cloud and his friends get to places?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
papa john

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
well you could think of it like this. fact, they live in a self sufficent village, fact, the continent is made up of about 6 or 7 self sufficent villages so they really dont need cars anyway. fact, in some countries today, just because a few people have technology doesnt mean everyone their does. and the only technology I've seen is few and far inbetween which could have been bought from some other continent (not shown in the anime) which would explain why the village itself has the big tv not just any ole person and why in future episodes you see wireless headsets for some missions. not to mention a gun in this show wouldnt be too helpfull against some of those ninjas.. i mean if a ninja uses a jutsu and turns into you friend who do you shoot? or if they use some sort of genjutsu and they dissapear, you cant shoot what you cant see... though it might be intresting to see two ninjas go at it with guns Very Happy

anyway it really doesnt matter but thats my take on it.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
After I noticed telephone lines in the first episode or so, I just assumed "alternate world". They could be roughly at our technological level, but they haven't developed it like we did.

In other words, don't dwell on it too long Smile
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I also notice that there was a video tape and a TV in this one episode in a scene with Anko and the ANBUs. spoiler[They showed the video tape of Gaara.]
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Thus proving that they also have cameras.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
It a anime for pitty sake,it there to just entertain people
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
It a anime for pitty sake,it there to just entertain people

Well, that kind of attitude defeats the whole point of a forum for discussing anime really.

In the wikipedia article about Steampunk it cites Naruto as an example of it. While I am dubious about quite how Naruto is steampunk there are quite a few puzzling bits of technology. Pretty sure it's just part and parcel of the fantasy world it is set in.

I mean a simple example of this is in the very first mission they go on to defend a bridge (don't think spoiler tags are necessary there...) The people are building a big concrete bridge. One would assume that they would also have heavy machinery and so on for doing this, but it seems that they don't. (Or at least you never see it.)
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I also forgot to mention that Naruto had some construction vehicles in it and Gato was wearing a business suit from the 21st century.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2