• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Discussed During Baltimore Baseball Coverage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I bet Anna Benson went to Otakon and the Yankees fans were just jealous.

Ah, anime and sports, the eternal struggle goes on. It's damn hard being a fan of both.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
If I ever run into a 400-pound idiot who paints the name of a baseball team on his stomach and acts like a wild animal when so-and-so player makes a home run and he makes fun of me for cosplaying, I will get up in his face and tell him how much of a hypocrite he is and how the world of sports is overrated. These immature morons who make fun of anyone with an interest they don't understand really need to get a grip on life and realize there's more to life than watching a bunch of guy throw a ball around a field for three hours.
kushiel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, that reminds me of Animethon this year - there was a Subway just up the street from the con hotel which seemed the place to go to eat for everyone. Those poor sandwich artists, there was a constant stream of cosplayers. We got asked what was going on a few times on the street (even though we were in full costume), but most people seemed to automatically know there was some sort of convention going on. Some people were even somewhat interested in hearing about it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
If I ever run into a 400-pound idiot who paints the name of a baseball team on his stomach and acts like a wild animal when so-and-so player makes a home run and he makes fun of me for cosplaying, I will get up in his face and tell him how much of a hypocrite he is and how the world of sports is overrated. These immature morons who make fun of anyone with an interest they don't understand really need to get a grip on life and realize there's more to life than watching a bunch of guy throw a ball around a field for three hours.

Talk about being a hypocrite. Rolling Eyes

What sort of point do you expect to make by lowering yourself to their level? Oh, and based on what I've seen of sports fans and anime fans, well, you'd almost certainly get your ass handed to you on a platter. No offense, but let's be realistic here.
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also, there were way more Yankees fans there than Orioles fans, and some of the heckling was pretty vicious.

Yep, just as I said. And us Yankee fans can be complete dicks sometimes. You know what, I am sick and tired of defending Yankee fans. We suck. That said, things are looking up for us now. Go Yanks!
mjgeo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
No need to defend them.

Anyway, since I wasn't there I'll have to take other people's word on what happened. So some fans were abusive, some fans went into the con and had a good look around, and I'm guessing the majority simply went home (they're the worst kind of all Rolling Eyes ).

So everyone, lets keep that in mind. Having a con the same weekend as a sporting event wasn't all bad. There was a tiny bit of extra media coverage, and some of those fans who went to the con might just get into anime.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Kholdstare wrote:
Yep, just as I said. And us Yankee fans can be complete dicks sometimes. You know what, I am sick and tired of defending Yankee fans. We suck. That said, things are looking up for us now. Go Yanks!

Yeah, Yankees fans are asses. I go to games sometimes even though I hate baseball (lacrosse and football, baby!) and I see the fans yelling at the opposing team sometimes, and it's pretty harsh. But no one is worse than Giants' fans (even though the Jets are totally better). Giants' fans will throw beer cans and cups at cosplayers if they're even slightly buzzed. I honestly feel bad for cosplayers, since it's unfair how they get treated. Except for "furries". They deserve all the "fursecution" they can get. Who cosplays Hamtaro? Honestly.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Except for "furries". They deserve all the "fursecution" they can get. Who cosplays Hamtaro? Honestly.
SharinganEyes92 have you seen pics from otakon.Among some pics there was a pic of the dog from The Family guy(forgot the dogs name).
Let me say this while you might dislike them that is fine.But please try not to put them down.Remember cosplayers were and still put down by the mainstream.Just because the people who do that are different doesn't mean they are "weirdos".
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
stagedive_25 wrote:
This stuff NEVER happens in California. That's why I don't want to ever step foot in the East Coast nor the MidWest.

Of course it never happens in California for the state is the epicenter of weird. From Hollywood to San Francisco gay pride parades, cosplaying just feels like it belongs.

Anywhere else and it's like imagining Barry Manilow gangsta rapping or Johnny Cash doing a Nine Inch Nails cover.
Strike that last one.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:

That wins. Not as much as dormcat's comment, but it wins. Speaking of dormcat, whatever happened to Princess Nine? I would've sworn someone would've mention it by now.

New York fans are annoying because of their $#%^% sense of entitlement. I hate people who think they're hot to trot just because.

Oh, and 10,000 points and an internet for the guy in the booth who referenced Lupin III.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Except for "furries". They deserve all the "fursecution" they can get. Who cosplays Hamtaro? Honestly.
SharinganEyes92 have you seen pics from otakon.Among some pics there was a pic of the dog from The Family guy(forgot the dogs name).
Let me say this while you might dislike them that is fine.But please try not to put them down.Remember cosplayers were and still put down by the mainstream.Just because the people who do that are different doesn't mean they are "weirdos".

Dude, that was a joke. I even said I feel bad for cosplayers because of all the shit they have to put up with. Furries are cosplayers, just cosplaying an animal from an anime that they watch. There's nothing wrong with that. I thought Hamtaro was hilarious... when I was 10 (I haven't watched it since). But, I was kidding around. It's just hard to tell because it was type-written.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:

Maybe she told Kris (her husband) that if she caught him cheating she was going to sleep with every cosplayer. Attendance would triple next year huh Laughing?

stagedive_25 wrote:
This stuff NEVER happens in California. That's why I don't want to ever step foot in the East Coast nor the MidWest.

Right except California is stage that is in hot water over money, a huge debate over immigration, and not to mention a very nasty (In terms of Smear campaign) Governor election coming up.

I personally wouldn't mind moving to the east coast. The atmosphere and lifestyles is so fitting to my life, I think that I would enjoy my life much more had I lived on the other coast.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:

Ah, anime and sports, the eternal struggle goes on. It's damn hard being a fan of both.

Amen.

That being said, I have to agree with the vast majority of posts here: Yankees fans are just dicks anyway, and if you are going to dress up in some odd costume, expect some shit flung your way.

btw, I'm a Detroit Tigers Fan. That makes me a fan of a team that is better than everyone else's team. Nyah.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
I have channeled my anger. (Sorry it's so low quality; I did it in Paint. Possibly NSFW.)

I wish I knew how to make it an animation, so I can watch Dokuro happily dig her spiked club into Baseballman's innards.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
You need a special editor if you want to make an anigif.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7