• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Discussed During Baltimore Baseball Coverage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The best exchange I heard was between someone dressed as one of the Shinigami from Bleach and a guy in a Yankees jersey. Yankee guy yelled something how it's gay to dress up in costumes in public, and Bleach guy retorted, "oh yeah? And what position on do you play on the Yankees?"

Best response ever!!

And Wolverine Princess, you're definitely one of my new favorite people on this forum. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:17 am Reply with quote
Well from the sound of this, this was either a double or triple header with a lot of Yankee's fans in attendence and they didn't win at least one of the games. Personally, I would think that equals a LOT of beer (and probably harder drinks) as the day went on. So I personally wouldn't let a lot of drunk Yankee's fans ruin my weekend, if I was a cos-player who went to Otakon Twisted Evil.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:50 am Reply with quote
Go Dokuro-chan, if you want to make a gif of it there's Photoshop CS and Image ready, the latter makes them gifs and the former is for editing the layers.

I will totally have to agree that some people need to grow up. Bashing people just because they're doing what they like is completely immature and unwarranted. These are just people that were probably born with a silver spoon in their mouth or weren't beat enough as a kid (the latter of which needs to happen more, I'm 17 and I'm not even half as bad as these kids are when I was their age, reason being if I got into any trouble I'd be whipped with a 1.5 in. thick paddle) and need to learn the meaning of the word maturity. Guess they don't realze that going through puberty doesn't make you mature, just an ~18+ child who thinks they can have everything their own way and will abuse others to make themselves feel better.

That being said, I'm personally not a fan of sports, especially baseball since I quit playing, the team choosing was rigged, as well as the pitching machine (their coach would always set it too fast/low/high and ours was an idiot that always put it dead center). It's these kind of incidents that make me loathe sports even more...eh, mostly football and baseball though, I'm fine with watching rugby clips or some ice skating and gymnastics....get your minds out of the gutter Razz
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:14 am Reply with quote
Most of the incidents involved Yankees fans, which I think we covered. That said, many of the incidents that I witnessed were brought on by the otaku themselves.

Not all, not most, but many...

On two occasions I witnessed Yankee fans get booted from establishments based on behavior. That said, most fans were more curious about the spectacle than anything else. At least a dozen times I was asked what it was about while I was walking to the con (people spotted the industry badge I was wearing as a volunteer). After a quick explaination, they were more amused and intrigued than anything else. To that end, we had a nice little visit from John Sterling (announcer for the Yankees). Ran into him in the hotel elevator, and got into a conversation over the Neumann flight case I was carrying to the con for an ADR demo. Talked about anime and the next thing I know, he was down in the dealer's room checking things out before the game. Apparently I mentioned where I would be if he stopped by and he took me up on the offer.

Signed my mic box too, which was a real treat Smile

So yeah... not all of it was bad.

I also got to witness two of our plucky cosplayers drop the F-bomb in an elevator in front of two children (we're talking ages 2-3). When the mother politely asked them to watch the language in front of the children, our respectable otaku waited until they got off the hotel elevator before screaming it at the kids.

Nice...

Needless to say that when the mother bolted through the doors and had both of these little punks against the wall, I was quite amused, though I would have expected it from the husband instead.

Some days it's not wise to mess with momma bear...

Anyway, the point is that the issues were on both sides.

My funny Otaku/Baseball fan moment came on Saturday, while in the lobby. One Yankee fan loudly stated "look at all the freaks..." to which my response was "yeah. Those damn Yankee fans are everywhere, aren't they?" She didn't say anything else, but the rest of the crowd had a good chuckle.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
My funny Otaku/Baseball fan moment came on Saturday, while in the lobby. One Yankee fan loudly stated "look at all the freaks..." to which my response was "yeah. Those damn Yankee fans are everywhere, aren't they?" She didn't say anything else, but the rest of the crowd had a good chuckle.

NICE.

Twenty bucks says that the girl you dissed was covered in face paint and flashed the baseball players when they made a home run. Because, you know, it's okay for people to do that, but not cosplay. Rolling Eyes

I love how she didn't say anything else after you dissed her. She must've felt like a real idiot (well, she was already an idiot, but I digress).
Falcon5768

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:04 am Reply with quote
yeah neither side has any right to blame the other, I saw yankees fans act like asses (which being from NJ is expected, most Yankees fans ARE cocky asses and a textbook example of whats wrong with NYC) but at the same time I saw plenty of Otaku who brought it on themselves by harrasing Yankees fans.

That being said, the guys we ran into at the Radisson where cool, and we talked to them for a while. Once they knew what was going on it was like "oh that explains it." To quote one guy "it's just like being back home in downtown Manhattan."

The truth is, he's right lol.
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
p.s. im also a metal fan, so theres conflicting interests there. BIG ONES.

Hey, there is another! Hell I get shit from my friends just for liking anime! (but then I showed them Berserk)
Falcon5768

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
The Seventh Son wrote:
p.s. im also a metal fan, so theres conflicting interests there. BIG ONES.

Hey, there is another! Hell I get shit from my friends just for liking anime! (but then I showed them Berserk)

you know a older Metal fan woul have no problem with anime. We grew up in the age of Heavy Metal after all.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:

As a muslim fan

It's past midnight and my brain is closing down; when I read that I wondered - "Which city are the Muslims based in?" Laughing
kenshin77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
I feel Really sorry for those Cosplayers that had to deal with the rude fans around the convention center, but maybe those people just suffer a little culture clash. Hopefully some people might have been learned something about the other side.

deltakiral wrote:
stagedive_25 wrote:
This stuff NEVER happens in California. That's why I don't want to ever step foot in the East Coast nor the MidWest.

Right except California is stage that is in hot water over money, a huge debate over immigration, and not to mention a very nasty (In terms of Smear campaign) Governor election coming up.

I personally wouldn't mind moving to the east coast. The atmosphere and lifestyles is so fitting to my life, I think that I would enjoy my life much more had I lived on the other coast.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Yeah, but we have the best weather in the Nation (except during the summer). We have many Anime shops, and places to go, and we don't have sit next to rude people on subways. I think living in California is much better than living on the East Coast. Oh and GO ANGELS!
Falcon5768

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
kenshin77 wrote:

Yeah, but we have the best weather in the Nation (except during the summer). We have many Anime shops, and places to go, and we don't have sit next to rude people on subways. I think living in California is much better than living on the East Coast. Oh and GO ANGELS!

Trust me, being a East Coaster who has been to your great state, I would take the East Coast any day of the week. The only thing you guys have going for you is its a slower pace of life. There are just as many (if not more) rude people in Cali as there are in NY, and I can find just as many Anime shops here for pretty much the same prices. Not to mention Otakon is the biggest Anime con in the US and has been for well over 5 years.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Falcon5768 wrote:
Not to mention Otakon is the biggest Anime con in the US and has been for well over 5 years.

25K for Otakon vs 40K for AE

Maybe it's this new math that they're teaching, but Otakon has been known as the largest on the East Coast, and the second largest in North America (trailing behind AE) for several years.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, my sister and I were waiting outside just as the game on Saturday let out, and we were dressed in full lolita gear. At one point, a group of drunk Yankee fans tried to get in the convention, but being sent away, they came over to us, grabbed us around the waist, and took a picture. I officially hate the Yankees.

Well, some of them weren't too bad, actually... I had a rather long conversation with an old man who started by asking me if there was some kind of freak show going on, but after that, he turned out to be quite nice.
FuuH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
of all the years I've been to Otakon, I never saw what I saw this year, with all these baseball fans - they WERE rude, and I know that there bitterness coming from both sides... but the baseball fans seemed to ask for it. they would hang outside the con, just waiting for the chance to let their insignificant view known, as if they were being treated to a freak show in front of a glass case.

I didn't see any cosplayers waiting outside Camden yards, ready to freak out on them - the baseball players had some huge sticks up their butts... and when they werent in the stadium, they were crowding up everything else in the city.

I guess I'm just mad because I always felt Otakon was like, a place where no matter where I turned I'd see someone just like me and we had an immediate connection/reason, but this year it was a mix of that and people from my home (I live outside of NYC), as if I couldnt escape it, LOL. well, maybe next year...! :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
FuuH,

you obviously missed last year's party with the Eagles/Ravens game. Made this thing look like a tea party.

And I'm going to disagree with you. I was in the hotel where the team was staying, and mostly there were Yankee fans, with a smaller number of Otakon-goers. Yes, some of the baseball fans were rude. SO were the otaku.

I didn't see a Yankee fan scream an obsenity at a young child in front of her mother. I did see an otaku do that. I also did not see people in Yankee garb come up and intentionally scare the throngs of people waiting to get into the Aquarium on Saturday, but I did see cosplayers do that.

My point is this... there was plenty of rudeness around for anyone who wanted it. Just because someone "asked for it" doesn't mean that you have a carte' blanche to respond in kind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7