• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Discussed During Baltimore Baseball Coverage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
God Gundam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
IvoryBirch wrote:
At one point, a group of drunk Yankee fans tried to get in the convention, but being sent away, they came over to us, grabbed us around the waist, and took a picture. I officially hate the Yankees.

You know, you probably could've reported those guys to the cops for touching you. If a complete stranger were to grab my waist (unlikely, since I'm a guy), I'd kick his ass.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Falcon5768 wrote:
kenshin77 wrote:

Yeah, but we have the best weather in the Nation (except during the summer). We have many Anime shops, and places to go, and we don't have sit next to rude people on subways. I think living in California is much better than living on the East Coast. Oh and GO ANGELS!

Trust me, being a East Coaster who has been to your great state, I would take the East Coast any day of the week. The only thing you guys have going for you is its a slower pace of life. There are just as many (if not more) rude people in Cali as there are in NY, and I can find just as many Anime shops here for pretty much the same prices. Not to mention Otakon is the biggest Anime con in the US and has been for well over 5 years.

Did you forget about the weather! I have also been to the East coast, and the weather there is up to the extremes. Its either too hot and humid, or it is too cold and snowing or raining. I am sure its not like this all the time, but that was what I experienced.

Rude people are everywhere, but when I was in the east coast there were rude people at Amusement parks and subways. I don't know Sad

As for Anime shops....when I was in New York, There was Kuinokuniya (sp?) and Anime Castle. That was it, unless you go to Chinatown for pirate cds.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
IvoryBirch wrote:
At one point, a group of drunk Yankee fans tried to get in the convention, but being sent away, they came over to us, grabbed us around the waist, and took a picture. I officially hate the Yankees.

You know, you probably could've reported those guys to the cops for touching you.

I'm with God Gundam here if anyone (other then my GF) grab me around my waist I would reported them. Hell a night in jail would sober them up real fast, and hopefully they would learn not to be drunk a-hole. I too hate the Yankees.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Last edited by Deltakiral on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
j_wong00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
When sports fans show up to a game in their favourite teams uniform, wouldn't that be techncially cosplaying? Wink

Just to throw that out there...

Oh, for the record, I am a sports fan as well as an anime fan.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
j_wong00 wrote:
When sports fans show up to a game in their favourite teams uniform, wouldn't that be techncially cosplaying? Wink
Tell that to them and they'll throw their overpriced beer, hot dogs, and Cracker Jacks at you.

j_wong00 wrote:
Oh, for the record, I am a sports fan as well as an anime fan.
I'm a on and off sports fan. Only when the local team is doing good. Go Cards!

None the less, KC is a great place to have Otakon. Center of the country, great people, and nobody goes to watch KC Royals play. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
nobody goes to watch KC Royals play.

There were actually a lot of Royals fans at the Boston/KC game last night. I wass genuinely surprised at the turnout.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
Ataru wrote:
nobody goes to watch KC Royals play.

There were actually a lot of Royals fans at the Boston/KC game last night. I wass genuinely surprised at the turnout.
Really? Sometimes I wonder if they converted over to STL side. *L*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
FullMetalStefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Kholdstare wrote:
biliano wrote:
I don't think it was a wise idea for Orioles fans to be heckling the cosplayers. Last I checked, the O's haven't done much of anything since 1997. Rolling Eyes

When the Orioles are playing the Yankees, there are more Yankee fans in Camden Yards then Orioles fans. Just throwing that fact out there.

This is so true.
I was outside of the convention center while fans were filing into Camden Yards, and the majority of them were definitely wearing Yankees clothes.
FuuH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see any of that :3 I'm sorry... I didn't really see more than what went on outside the con only... Plus my own expierience with one guy at one point (no use going into detail)

I could imagine tho that there was immaturity on both sides, definitely!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
hikura wrote:
Except for "furries". They deserve all the "fursecution" they can get. Who cosplays Hamtaro? Honestly.
SharinganEyes92 have you seen pics from otakon.Among some pics there was a pic of the dog from The Family guy(forgot the dogs name).
Let me say this while you might dislike them that is fine.But please try not to put them down.Remember cosplayers were and still put down by the mainstream.Just because the people who do that are different doesn't mean they are "weirdos".

Dude, that was a joke. I even said I feel bad for cosplayers because of all the shit they have to put up with. Furries are cosplayers, just cosplaying an animal from an anime that they watch. There's nothing wrong with that. I thought Hamtaro was hilarious... when I was 10 (I haven't watched it since). But, I was kidding around. It's just hard to tell because it was type-written.

My bad.I apologize.I read it that you were serious.
kinggalaxia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
I was the semi-infamous E Honda cosplayer. When I went outside to grab a smoke, the Yankees fans literally mobbed me for pictures. Now I wasn't about to totally say 'hell with you guys', so I did soak up the praise and shit around them.

Eventually, I had to leave outta fear of my life. No need to smoke with that in the way, haha.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
You guys ought to be thankful not to be in England with the West Ham fans, obviously!

[/jk]
Dejiko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote
I think there's a lesson to be learned here. By sheer coincidence, I just read the Connichi (see the recent news entry) cosplay rules:

Quote:
General cosplay rules

Important advice for cosplayers at the Connichi:

* The costumes may not be cut too generously, i.e., bosom, groin area and rear side must be sufficiently covered with clothing. Obscene gestures and actions are interdicted. Violators might be expelled from the convention.

* Please read the Connichi weapons rules carefully. Show fights are generally forbidden.

* The Connichi management cannot take any responsibility for visitors in full cosplay dress outside the area of the Stadthalle Kassel. On some occasions, cosplayers or Visual Kei players have been molested outside the marked area of manga and anime conventions, particularly after sunset.
For safety reasons, we recommend that you come to the convention in casual clothing, change on site, and leave the convention in casual clothing again.

* We will provide a changing room that will be available for three hours after the convention opens and another three hours before the event is closed.

Note that this rule is prevalent at Comiket as well. It would be sensible for US cons and cosplayers to accept the fact that there WILL BE people who'll harass anyone who fits their definition of 'freak'. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but unfortunately, it's undeniable reality.
Falcon5768

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:08 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Falcon5768 wrote:
Not to mention Otakon is the biggest Anime con in the US and has been for well over 5 years.

25K for Otakon vs 40K for AE

Maybe it's this new math that they're teaching, but Otakon has been known as the largest on the East Coast, and the second largest in North America (trailing behind AE) for several years.

Sept only AE actually beleive those numbers and there has been debate and evidence for years that AE counts single atendees multiple times (despite their saying they dont) and total atendees amoung all of their cons together.

Its pretty much proven the Cali AE has never had atendee numbers rivaling Otakon, infact they haven't come close with a total closer to 19,000 being much closer to accurate to Otakons 26000 this year.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
Falcon5768 wrote:

Its pretty much proven the Cali AE has never had atendee numbers rivaling Otakon, infact they haven't come close with a total closer to 19,000 being much closer to accurate to Otakons 26000 this year.

"Pretty much proven?" Where's your proof?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7