• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Discussed During Baltimore Baseball Coverage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Falcon5768 wrote:

Its pretty much proven the Cali AE has never had atendee numbers rivaling Otakon, infact they haven't come close with a total closer to 19,000 being much closer to accurate to Otakons 26000 this year.

"Pretty much proven?" Where's your proof?

Actually it's been pretty much proven that AE is the largest in the USA, with Otakon as second seat for the past six years. A simple google or check on Wikipedia would have told the original poster this.

Again, I blame that new math that they're teaching kids these days...

BTW: awesome game on Friday, eh? You need to keep that promise of a game for Anime Boston Wink

Last edited by Yoda117 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
You guys ought to be thankful not to be in England with the West Ham fans, obviously!
[/jk]

Well, football hooligans seem to be a whole 'nother breed of subhuman...
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Someone needs to post that image of that guy in Japan who lived cosplaying as Sesshomaru for perspective. Seems a bit skewed here.

Man-Faye at a game? I've heard of crossdressers at Yankees/Mets' game before, never seen it myself. Outside of a lot of questioning, a friend of mine who was at a Yankee game said he didn't get really hassled. spoiler[probably was a Yankee fan] Wink

*sees the Double Call manga*

Man . . .
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:

BTW: awesome game on Friday, eh? You need to keep that promise of a game for Anime Boston Wink

Sad I just checked the schedule. Anime Boston's happening a lot later than I anticipated-- well into playoffs, and I don't anticipate the Bruins going into playoffs. Too late to catch Frozen Four too. Sad Maybe we can find another con.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
*sees the Double Call manga*

Man . . .

I'll ask her (in 8.5 hours, to be exact) why she chose real MLB teams instead of fictional ones (either American or Japanese).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
thebaron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Metal bands that are worth their salt would understand somewhat, if you look at the history of metal and it's showmanship! Alice Cooper, KISS, Iron Maiden, etc!
chakurakid15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:21 am Reply with quote
I went to Otakon and other then the street vendors and the people who passed right in front of the Baltimore Convention Center, we dind't really get any response from the masses.

Now I was personally asked a few questions about what all this (meaning Otakon) was about, but other then that, there wasn't any derogatory statements made or anything. So I don't personally know what people are complaining about when they weren't even there!

Sorry, it was just kinda bothering me...
Yoda117

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Yoda117 wrote:

Sad I just checked the schedule. Anime Boston's happening a lot later than I anticipated-- well into playoffs, and I don't anticipate the Bruins going into playoffs. Too late to catch Frozen Four too. Sad Maybe we can find another con.

Sounds like a plan, although we can still find an excuse to get everyone together for some "con decompression" Smile

Sports bars work for me... though if a good show or concert is in town, that works too.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Actually it's been pretty much proven that AE is the largest in the USA, with Otakon as second seat for the past six years. A simple google or check on Wikipedia would have told the original poster this.

Right you are... for 2006 (throughout north america I believe)

1. Anime Expo - 40,647 total
2. Otakon - 25,000 paid
3. Anime North - 12,500 total
4. A-Kon - 12,000 paid
5. Anime Central - 11,500 total
6. Anime Boston - 9,354 total
7. FanimeCon - 8,100 paid
8. Katsucon - 6,400 total
9. AnimeNEXT - 6,000 total

of particular note is Anime Boston (woot, hometown con) which is rapidly climbing the ranks.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
of particular note is Anime Boston (woot, hometown con) which is rapidly climbing the ranks.

I won't be surprised if Anime Boston tops 10,000 in attendance next year. It's definitely growing in popularity.
hikura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
OneHotAlchemist wrote:

I won't be surprised if Anime Boston tops 10,000 in attendance next year. It's definitely growing in popularity.

I will have to agree.AB will exceed 10,000 but not by much(starting next year).In my opnion if they want to get bigger then 11,000 they need to start getting some really good guests.I am not saying they have had bad guests by any means.I am die hard upper east coast con goer and i have always enjoyed animeboston.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
biliano wrote:
OneHotAlchemist wrote:

I will have to agree.AB will exceed 10,000 but not by much(starting next year).In my opnion if they want to get bigger then 11,000 they need to start getting some really good guests.I am not saying they have had bad guests by any means.I am die hard upper east coast con goer and i have always enjoyed animeboston.

Last year's lineup was pretty stellar (Vic Mignogna and Steve Blum first and foremost, wow). If you're talking about japanese guests tho, they don't tend to come unless you have a HUGE number of people already.

The other thing, is I believe there are a few big east-coast cons almost one ontop of eachother, so a lot of my friends are thinking about going to AB instead of their usual cons. *shrug*
Jim3001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I was down there and there were Yankee fans everywhere. This one guy infront of me yelled out "YANKEES SUCK!" just to get a rise. I thought he'd have to run for his life.
LadyLethia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
A couple of thoughts that have been touched on.

1.) People are quick to point out that there are different factions of anime fans from the ones that enjoy it and don't cosplay and the ones so far out of touch of reality they legally change their name and add tattoos that some animator concocted one day.

Why has no one stuck up for the 90+% of sport fans that didn't bother cosplayers? No matter what subculture there are not-so-nice-people that hide themselves in the cracks of a hobbie that is for wholesome lighthearted fun.

2.) Why are you all surprised that anime looks weird on the outside? It is one of the reason it visually attracts so many people to it. If people want to be respected, don't act like the spoiled child with teen angst thinking that everyone is against them and only them. Bullies are everywhere and pick on anything they think is weak; ignore it.

3.) If I paint my ass red and let it hang out like a monkey then I should know that I will not be well received. Like it or not the way you present yourself to the world is how people can make their first impression of you. Yes people are wrong sometimes but if you feel you have been wronged prooved that you are mature and civilized.

4.) Everyone has dreamed of Cosplay. A fantasy about a French maid or cabana boy lingerie night is normal for everyone and yes they are ignorant if they don't see a connection to this or to wearing a sports jersey. Callling out the Raider fans or Hogettes isn't helping your case because they aren't the ones against you so don't use them in your argument. The teasers don't accept them either. (I should know, a friend of the family is a Hoggette.)
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7