• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
http://www.japanfiles.com/ are pretty good. $1/track, $10/album, totally legit.

I was thinking the same thing. Even though I've only used them to download Nitroplus soundtracks. Seriously, if you look at the Anime/Game section it's...nearly all Nitroplus (I think they love the idea of expanding to the global market, what with their big to-do with JAST USA).
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
But the final 7 light novels have certainly not been adapted in their entirety. And to add insult to this, only the first 8 (in other words, the ones that have been adapted to anime) were ever released in English by Tokyopop.

What's being insulted?

*other stuff that I've snipped out for space*

I was using a variation of the old expression "add insult to injury," referencing the irony that not only did the anime not fully adapt the the light novels, but the only light novels officially available in English are those anime fans are least likely to be interested in: the ones we've already seen (in some form) adapted.

Regarding your point about anime adaptions of light novels taking liberties with the original stories to the point where "finishing" the adaption becomes irrelevent: that's a fair point, I suppose. But it's not the point you originally made when you listed Slayers/Banner of the Stars.

But I can only partially agree with your point anyways. You mentioned movie adaptions of American comic books, which is a good analogy for some adaptions. For some. But from what I've read online, some other light novel adaptions are more in line with say, the movie adaptions of the Harry Potter books. A lot of details are cut out or changed, but the basic overall story remains the same.

Obviously, if the Harry Potter movies were to suddenly stop at movie 5, a lot of people would be unhappy. Even moreso if (to take the analogy further) the original novels were actually japanese books not available in English.

Now, fortunately, not all all light novel adaptions, even those that are incomplete, end at such a horrible point. I agree with you that The Slayers doesn't really feel incomplete, and even though I am curious about some of the details I've heard about from the unadapted light novels, I'm still mostly satisfied with the anime as it is.

But how about another series, such as Legend of the Legendary Heroes? That does NOT end at a good point, it is every bit as bad as if the Harry Potter movies just stopped at the 5th one.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
If there was one OVA that needed to be longer and more satisfying (along with an actual conclusion), then my vote goes to Ryuu Seiki/Dragon Century. With Ryukihei mysteriously vanished from the manga world, I doubt that'll be possible. Incidentally the anime is from the late 80s so I highly doubt it'll ever be considered. But the ending had me in tears. It was too ambiguous, too open-ended. Did the dragons beat the demons? Did Carmine die or did he come back? The problem with these older post-apocalyptic anime is that they ended on a melancholic or dreary note, accompanied by a painfully sad song that offers no closure.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
I agree with Doug, they need to finish or do-over the DEVILMAN OAV, I would like to watch the rest! If they won't do it, then I will!.......just wait for about 10 years lol
Seca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
The amount of ignorance about the Japanese music market here makes me want to scream.

It is not backwards it's just gone in a different direction than the U.S. market. They have a digital music market which is flourishing but its for cellphones not PCs. Unfortunately it does make things harder for those outside of Japan to enjoy the Japanese digital market because the cellphone companies don't operate overseas. But they're hardly stuck at CDs as CD sales have been dropping for years as this digital market grows.

And for those who complain about trouble with music rights need to wake up and realize that's an issue for all music markets. If you're familiar with issues bringing over shows from the U.K. to the U.S. music rights can be problematic for those too, and that's for music that may have already been released in the U.S. already. So don't think Japan is the only one to blame when it's something that's universal.

Also about the song dubbing issue, do you think Japanese series that use music from English speaking artists dub the songs into Japanese? I mean forgive me if I'm wrong but I've seen Mariah Carey, P!nk and other artists have their songs used and not a single one was dubbed into Japanese. And there have been a few English speaking artists that have had their songs used as anime themes without those being dubbed into Japanese either. So I don't get why you think Japanese artists should be treated differently. Sure some are seiyuu or are relatively unknown but some of the artists having their music used are those that regularly top the sales charts and are the biggest selling artists in Japan. So having their music dubbed for another market would be a slap in the face for them.

Honestly, before you start complaining about the Japanese music market learn about it first so you don't come off as backward.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Before you go on a tirade you should know what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about CD singles or any other form of music release by bands, I'm talking about how the band in Angel Beats will speak in English for the entirety of the show, except for the parts where they're singing, which will be in Japanese, because, yes, it's time consuming to dub songs, but also because of rights issues. So even if they wanted to dub the songs (and I have to imagine they would since it's a large part of the first half of the show), who knows if they'd even be allowed to.

The mere fact that Japanese music companies won't allow a company to dub a song into English when it's within the show and in character is absolutely absurd and I, as a dub fan, have every right to direct ire towards the Japanese music industry when they pull that crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm talking about how the band in Angel Beats will speak in English for the entirety of the show, except for the parts where they're singing ... The mere fact that Japanese music companies won't allow a company to dub a song into English when it's within the show and in character

But I assume the characters are Japanese even in the dub. So why should the dub pretend they're singing in English? Yes, they're talking in English because it's a dub but I'd think most people understand that they're not, in fact, supposed to be talking in English. I would understand this need to dub the songs if the show was targeted toward young children, but as far as I'm aware Angel Beats is not.

Btw it's not particularly time consuming to dub songs, it's just a lot of money and effort. You have to hire pro singers, get someone to write the lyrics, get a music director, etc. It's the same with all cartoons and movies. It's entirely possible that the Japanese companies are not very interested in getting the songs dubbed in English, but it's also very possible that dubbing studios ask for more money than the Japanese are willing to pay. Also consider that these shows are not exactly blockbusters in the US so the American license holders need to consider how much money they're willing to spend on them. And so since neither side is very keen on dubbing the songs... they don't get dubbed.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Regarding CDs and DVDs: I, too, much prefer a physical copy to a downloadable file. It is much easier to ensure the physical copy doesn't get destroyed than it is for a download. Plus, with some of the download systems employing Digital Restrictions Management, you depend on the company that lifted your restrictions (granting you the ability to play the item). If they go down, or decide to drop the service, you are pretty much screwed.

I just checked, and Amazon Japan also has an MP3 section. I didn't go searching to see what is available within it, however.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

Unfinished works: Can someone tell my why the blue hell CLAMP never finished Legal Drug? Either finish what you start or don't start it at all!

because the magazine it was running in ceased to exist, IIRC. Not that that's really an excuse when it's CLAMP we're talking about, and any magazine in Japan would trip over itself to publish a comic about toenail clippings if they drew it, but that's the official reason.

Why not just find another magazine to run it in?
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
And we are definitely not the only ones who like 'old school' (especially when it comes to manga).
I hear you there. I'm about 100x more likely to read a new title in "real book" form as opposed to any sort of digital format (be it scanlations or licensed downloads) nowadays. In absence of an actual, physical book I pretty much can't be bothered. This may change in the future of course (never say never) but that's how it stands at the moment.

ss-hikuaru wrote:
poonk wrote:
(like ss-hikaru, I almost never listen to the B-sides or instumentals). This is where access to something like Japanese iTunes (preferably not iTunes itself though, as I dislike it) would be handy.
To clarify, I only ignore b-sides and instrumentals of j-pop artists. I love my j-rock singles (I always buy the version with the extra song). And I too, am not a fan of iTunes =D.
Oh yes, agreed. Don't get me wrong, I love my J-pop idols but their music is practically incidental to my personal fandom (i.e. it's more about the acting roles/real-life charisma). Actual, "legitimate" groups though-- the B-side is probably well-worth checking out (in the case of BoC, their B-tracks are often g*damn excellent).

Quote:
On YesaAsia, I find I'm more partial to CDJapan because they have a super cool rewards program which basically covers my shipping cost and give you the external bonuses too! (They have lots of merchandise for ongoing anime series too yay!)
I've gotten stuff via CDJ before but I usually default to YA due to A.) the gashapon promo I mentioned before, or B.) I'm just as likely to want Korean or Chinese pop/rock titles, which of course CDJ doesn't carry. (Though one plus CDJ has over YA is the opportunity to sample songs).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3