• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Reaches Top 30 on Booklist

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:

You're a boy? WTF.

Female avatar =/= female user. I assume you are not a sword either.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
hagakure|returns wrote:

You're a boy? WTF.

Female avatar =/= female user. I assume you are not a sword either.

Explains why a lot of people mistake Nagisa for a girl.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
People, it was a joke aimed at that cabal of girls who will claw your eyes out if you say something bad about Kyo or Yuki or whichever character they have their yaoi fantasies with. I'm aware that there are males who read the series; I'm one of them (though admittingly on and off).

As I was buying volume 14 (22-year-old male), the lady at the register turned to the person she was working with and said, "Good. We got this in. Now that girl will stop having to call every day to ask about it."
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Don't make yourself the only one Laughing The entire Japanese series and the fanbook. Though you probably have those too.

I'm not really getting what your trying to say, but I don't have a fanbook, or even the TP releases; I read it when I get up the energy to borrow it from a friend. Yeah, my opinions of the manga aren't too high since it turned into a melodramatic soap-opera. Still solid in small doses, but I don't think I could be called a fan.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I would get it if I had the money, meh, I'll just wait till my friend buys it since he's also a fan (yes, I'm a guy too, 17 at that, even some younger guys prefer a good story to action all the time.)
mako

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'm probably older than most of you and I still read manga although not as much as I used to when I was young. Whenever I hear about manga books being in the top seller list, I feel happy. Anime smile

By the way, I have a brother who is 3 years younger than I am. When I was in college and he was in high school (in Japan), we used to buy manga books (usually weekly and monthly ones) and exchange them. Yes, he read a lot of shojo manga, too, and I have a feeling that he was more familiar with shojo manga than I was.

I hope more shojo manga comes to the US and gets more popular not just among girls/women but also among boys/men.
bluepita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I was actually introduced to Fruits Basket by a man. Granted he told me it was so girly that the fact he enjoyed it made him doubt his masculinity (a joke).

Good news it has made it so high. Very Happy
cerise_angel2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Again, Furuba is so overrated. It's not like I haven't read them but there are better shoujo mangas which deserve to be the top! Evil or Very Mad Exclamation
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
cerise_angel2 wrote:
Again, Furuba is so overrated. It's not like I haven't read them but there are better shoujo mangas which deserve to be the top! Evil or Very Mad Exclamation

Dude, at this point, just go with the flow. I like it, other people like it, and the people's ratings and money have proven why this series is popular. It's a funny series, and if you don't like it, then why are you reading it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2