• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians' Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

On topic: FUNimation must've really taken the backlash from fans to heart after the re-casts that happened in Trigun, Sengoku Basara, & Shana. If they're willing enough to get most of the original cast back for Ikki Tousen - a dub which, for the most part, isn't particularly good - then this gives me hope for the eventual dubs of BlazBlue and Hyperdimension Neptunia. Smile

You can thank Jonathan Klein for that one. It appears that Funi gave him pretty free reign with this one and he used it to get VAs from NYC, LA, and TX involved.

I'd like to see more collaboration like this in future projects and can't wait to see this series again.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
"Willow Lane" is actually a pseudonym for the actress Sara Lahti (Maggie from R.O.D The TV) is it not?
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

On topic: FUNimation must've really taken the backlash from fans to heart after the re-casts that happened in Trigun, Sengoku Basara, & Shana. If they're willing enough to get most of the original cast back for Ikki Tousen - a dub which, for the most part, isn't particularly good - then this gives me hope for the eventual dubs of BlazBlue and Hyperdimension Neptunia. Smile

You can thank Jonathan Klein for that one. It appears that Funi gave him pretty free reign with this one and he used it to get VAs from NYC, LA, and TX involved.

I'd like to see more collaboration like this in future projects and can't wait to see this series again.

I hope and pray that every studio from Bang Zoom and others continues to make more inter-cast dubbing that have potential anime series down the road. It's a risk factor but it's worth to make good anime dubs in the near future.

I tip my hat and my EBT card to Funi and others who are working hard to be noticed in English VA community.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Wait, so the FUNi panel already happened? And there wasn't a slew of new licenses? Darn.

Nope, just the cast lists. Kinda ticks me off since they have a bunch of simulcasts they haven't said anything about since they were picked up for streaming. If all of them flopped to the point FUNi is questioning whether or not to release them on DVD I worry about their decision making skills. Hopefully they have new things to talk about with their joint panel with Kodansha tomorrow.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Klein is one of my favorite directors so I'm glad to know that he's still in the game and doing something right. If there's a somewhat serious, dark show to be dubbed, he's the guy to direct it. I don't remember being a fan of this show or its dub, however...

I hope that they bring back Carrie Savage for more shows. There've been a staggering number of shows that would have done better with some Savagery. Also a number of shows that would have been better with a NGP dub (why anyone would pick another CA dub studio over them is a mystery to me).

Biggest news here, to me at least, is that Carrie Savage and Jonathan Klein were at NYCC. That con scene isn't for me but I might have considered it as those 2 anime guests aren't exactly at every con under the sun.
BlackJaded wrote:
I tip my hat and my EBT card to Funi and others who are working hard to be noticed in English VA community.
PLEASE tell me that you do not actually have a welfare debit card. If you do actually have a welfare card, please tell me that you aren't using it to buy anime; if my money is going to go to anime purchases I'd like to actually receive those purchases. Wink
Donpablo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
stove top stuffing wrote:
Carrie Savage is back? YES! I can't wait to own this.

My reaction too, so glad to see her back.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Yesss Carrie Savage!!! I hope she has recovered somewhat from the muscular dystrophy. Sad

Holy crap Jessica Calvello?! Where has she been?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:

Yeah, I really do enjoy these dubs that combine these VA pools.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Donpablo wrote:
stove top stuffing wrote:
Carrie Savage is back? YES! I can't wait to own this.

My reaction too, so glad to see her back.

She never really "left", to be honest. She's been in quite a few LA dubs as of late. Most recently the brand new dub for K that just wrapped up on Neon Alley.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

BlackJaded wrote:
PLEASE tell me that you do not actually have a welfare debit card. If you do actually have a welfare card, please tell me that you aren't using it to buy anime; if my money is going to go to anime purchases I'd like to actually receive those purchases. Wink

I wish but it's card with food stamps Crying or Very sad

DangerMouse wrote:

Yeah, I really do enjoy these dubs that combine these VA pools.

and we need more of this in high demand and again I do hope BZ,Seraphim Studios and others do this the near future because Funi regulars such as Marchi,Vale and Rial are going to be breaking the bank soon and looking forward to this next year.

Last edited by BlackJaded on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
so mix-batch give went bring voice from 1st series & mix some from 2nd-3rd series.

& now add 4th version with got voice list nearly from almost from all area dub roster zone?

yea only matter til full crossover projects from all rosters dubs on same anime like in japan.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
"Willow Lane" is actually a pseudonym for the actress Sara Lahti (Maggie from R.O.D The TV) is it not?

Actually, it's really Tricia Dickson, who played the voice of Nenene.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Ted Sroka is still around? I knew that name sounded familiar, he's the protagonist from Melody of Oblivion. He & Savage were "paired" in that one as well.

I might just buy this to support the dub cast, director and cross-studio cooperation. Though I'm leery as I doubt that the show is for me (even though I'm something of a fan of the genre) and that Funimation would interpret my purchase correctly. I don't want to do the anime equivalent of voting for Ron Paul, after all.
BlackJaded wrote:
I wish but it's card with food stamps
I'm sure there's a way for you to turn your EBT into anime. If you can't buy anime with the welfare card, how can you "tip" it to anyone in the anime industry?
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

BlackJaded wrote:
I wish but it's card with food stamps
I'm sure there's a way for you to turn your EBT into anime. If you can't buy anime with the welfare card, how can you "tip" it to anyone in the anime industry?

Since yesterday financial EBT upgrade crisis now everything up fine and dandy, it maybe possible plus I don't tip that much unless distributers give me sales of my favorite anime titles.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:

Actually, it's really Tricia Dickson, who played the voice of Nenene.

ohhhhhhhh WOW Shocked

so that means Tricia Dickson is back after all these years? amazing

how did you find this out?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3