• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Reaches 40 Million Homes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
Well, hopefully this will help with ADV's bottom line. They have had the public apparence of struggling a bit lately.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I just got anime network vod when i got digital cable a couple months ago. Of course, I hate starting series in the middle, so I'm not watching things perhaps as much as I normally would.

I'm helping them out by watching Angelic Layer right now though haha (which I already own, but I somehow get a tingling feeling whenever it comes over the cable line instead of the dvd player lol).
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Awesome, I think I'm developing a bit more of this press release translation skill. I'm like, some kind of science fiction plot device character!-

See the headline-

Quote:
Anime Network Notches 40 Million Subscribers

This'd give the impression that 40 million people have actually bought a subscription or whatever to TAN, which would be HUUUUUGE and big, but the truth of the matter is-

Quote:
America’s #1 anime channel is now available to 40 million homes across the United States and Canada—a 233% increase and more than three times its reach in less than two years.

yeah, see. It's AVAILABLE to 40 million people, 40 million people CAN watch it, but it's not raking in 40 million viewers.

Quote:
Available to its ravenous viewership on a variety of platforms—24/7 “linear” channel, video-on-demand (VOD), subscription-based video-on-demand (SVOD), pay-per-view (PPV) and transactional for both cable and satellite subscribers—Anime Network has seen a swarm of carriage deals attribute to its success.

Just because it's there doesn't mean it's really a success Wink
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
Hate to be a downer, Steven, but...

Steventheeunuch wrote:
Quote:
America’s #1 anime channel is now available to 40 million homes across the United States and Canada—a 233% increase and more than three times its reach in less than two years.

yeah, see. It's AVAILABLE to 40 million people, 40 million people CAN watch it, but it's not raking in 40 million viewers.

No, it's in 40 million homes, which implies that it's accessible to significantly more than 40 million people, [conjecture]like maybe 60 million or 70 million[/conjecture].

That's still a pretty nice number for a pay service.
BigHurtBrad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
Honestly, what you need to know the actual people that could get it are the markets it's available in, and the amount of people getting it in the market compared to the total market.

Until we know those figures (I.e. how many people that get Comcast or TimeWarner cable subscribe to the digital service that includes AN?)
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm just glad that Anime Network is back on VOD for me. When comcast got bought out by TimeWarner in my area there was a period of several weeks when I didn't have it and thought I wouldn't get it again. But it's back now, and I'm watching it again.

I make sure to let people know about the VOD aspect of Anime Network because a lot of my friends who have cable didn't even realize they had it.
EEA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
You know, it doesn't matter how many homes it is in... Because it doesn't matter how many homes it's in when it doesn't actually finish showing entire animes anymore.

I understand TAN is for the sake of promotion... But some of us would like to see TAN actually finish the series they start.

Back about a year and a half ago, they actually FINISHED an entire anime series, but now they either get halfway through and stop... OR they start showing episodes from a new series... And only show the first 5 episodes.

Maybe I nitpick by complaining about this, but I feel that it's really annoying how they keep doing this. I mean they did it with Kaleidostar: New Wings by only showing the first 5 episodes and the BAM! No more new episodes. I might understand why, like if they hadn't finished more than the first 5 episodes but come on... It's annoying to tease us with the first five episodes.
rondo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Since I lost the linear 24/7 feed, I can't see myself all that interested in TAN anymore. In fact, I thought they got rid of the linear feed. Eh.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Does it come as a default network with any DigiCable/Satilite subscribers? If so, this isn't all that amazing, if not, it means, indeed, 40 million households watch this network. That must be at least 1/3 of american housholds*. I geuss there'll always be those closet fans.

*I know it's available here in Canada too, but canada only has less than 10 million house holds, about 1 or 2 million own a television provider that lets them access TAN. Even less of them subscibe.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
That's great and all for them, but VOD TAN absolutely sucks. They constantly start new shows from the middle, skip over episodes, misslabel episodes, end series out of no where, and have a rather poor selection considering their library, some sections only have one or two episodes of one series and that's it. It's not even a good advertising method for TAN since nobody wants to preview a show from the middle. I'm not saying they should always have first episodes available, but it wouldn't hurt to start from the first episode. I rarely watch it now since it's horribly inconsistent and unorganized, which is unfortunate because I really wanted to like it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
That's great and all for them, but VOD TAN absolutely sucks. They constantly start new shows from the middle, skip over episodes, misslabel episodes, end series out of no where, and have a rather poor selection considering their library, some sections only have one or two episodes of one series and that's it. It's not even a good advertising method for TAN since nobody wants to preview a show from the middle. I'm not saying they should always have first episodes available, but it wouldn't hurt to start from the first episode. I rarely watch it now since it's horribly inconsistent and unorganized, which is unfortunate because I really wanted to like it.

Emerje

I agree with you Emerje, when I first switch from DIRECTV to Adelphia (now Time Warner) I was excitied to see that I had VOD. This was great news for me since I didn't have netflix, nor was I buying a lot of dvds. However the limited library instantly turned me off from that, I think the only show I care to watch was FMP, and even then the episodes were the ones that I didn't care to see. VOD is something that could of been really great but I hardly bother to even look at it anymore.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I have VOD TheAnimeNetwork on TimeWarner Cable. It is available as Free on Demand out here (and probably everywhere else on TimeWarner Cable). Its free because a commercial shows at the end of the show (for example: Mezzo ep 1 was sponsered by Cingular)

Oh, and I also have the IFC, so I can watch Samurai 7 on Thursdays at 10:30PM.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
luhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I have Comcast and they added AN about two and a half years ago. At first, it was great; there was a wide variety of titles and it was updated every week. I was in anime heaven. But then all the problems that the previous posters mentioned started. Now , the service is pretty much worthless.

Comcast doesn't offer AN for a monthly subscription fee like some cable operators; instead, they have a free VOD channel and a separate pay-per-view service. Newer titles are, of course, pay-per-view, but I refuse to pay to "rent" them for 24 hours with the only option being to watch them dubbed. I'd rather just rent DVDs and get to see the shows subbed.

If you don't have Anime Network in your area, don't feel bad. You're not missing much.
Cuprin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought I was going to be the only one complaining about TAN's joke of an update schedule. If they were to pick up the 24/7 that'd be one thing... at least there'd be more of a variety.

But the way it is, it's getting very hard to care.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Network gets into 40 million homes and yet Boomerang struggles with 20 million. Dammit. Mad

I agree with everyone on how TAN on Demand has gone down. I liked in the old days when they split the shows into categories.

I wonder if Sony and Comcast will ever make a Animax channel here...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2