• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: China Bans Anime from Prime Time TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mskala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Akemi_Idaku wrote:
Something like this will never happen in America no matter how Right, Left, Up, Down or whatever else the president may be. (Yeah, I know those last two aren't real political words.) We have freedom of speech here.

Janet Jackson doesn't have freedom of speech in America. Neither do most high school students.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Off topic, though not by much, it's always fascinating to me how everyone thinks Republicans (and by extension President Bush) are so bad and yet no one seems the least bit bothered by Democrats like Hillary Clinton trying pass bills that would actually place government controls on the internet. Rolling Eyes

You didn't hear about that one? Or the one about banning violent video games? Or that draft bill that Charlie Rangel (he's a Democrat!) tried to pass? Hey, just keep ignoring those quirky little statements from Ted Kennedy about individualism being what's wrong with the country.

Remember! Higher taxes are good. Government schools that can't teach kids to read are wonderful. And murderers, rapists, and child molesters are just people with mental illnesses that we can treat and release back into society!

Back on topic, China's government seems to be heading in the direction of outright banning things given the progression shown in the article. Given their problematic attempts to control the internet information flow there, I don't think they're going to get very far on this. They probably won't crush anyone with tanks over this, but who knows. It's not like they tell us everything that happens there.
trlman99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
China isn't communist anymore and they are getting better.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
There's still communism in China. Even commies don't like anime. Weird.
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
AlphaBlitz wrote:
If you think about it, this might happen to the US if there's a President who's far enough to the Right or something of the sort. It like this, the Chinese government is doing things concerned mothers and Republicans wished they could do.

I'm sorry, but you have this wrong. Communists are the far left, Fascists are the far right. Look here This is the only picture I could quickly find that shows the relationship with each party. It was a nice try at attempting to make republicans look like communists though; too bad you messed up your facts. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tatoka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Just for info : Rolling Stones Mag is still published here, the name had to be changed to go along with local publishing politics though. Now it's called 音像世界. Concerning japanese and american animation, everything is available in DVD Shops (illegally of course but hey "this is China") so whether it's on tv between 5 and 8 pm or not is not very important. People still can found it around the corner.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
trlman99 wrote:
China isn't communist anymore and they are getting better.

China is techinically still a communist country, but most mildly-informed people see modern China as strict nationalists. I agree that they're getting better. [Now just lift that damned child ban...] There are reasons to dislike the Chinese government, but this silly ban definently isn't one of them. Seesh, you're all getting your panties in a knot for nothing. How many of you have actually been to China? Laughing

So China has a somewhat too nationalistic leader right now. Big deal, so do we. Let them be wackos together and just clean up after their mess after they get out of office. Everyone knows that, as long as some weird right-wing bozo isn't elected president, as soon as Bush steps out of the white house the new head of state will throw all of his paranoid policies out the window. I'm sure the same will happen with China. In modern politics, there are good leaders and there are bad leaders, and neither of them accomplish much of anything. Such is life!

Quote:
"Chinese is the way to go." Direct quote.

Off topic, but here's why. People are telling you to speach Chinese because economists predict that China will become a powerful world economic leader in the mid 21st century.

4 economies that shine -- for 2050
This article predicts what could be four 'economic giants' in 2050. Only one, Brazil, isn't located in Asia major.

Last edited by Haru to Ashura on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
AlphaBlitz wrote:
If you think about it, this might happen to the US if there's a President who's far enough to the Right or something of the sort. It like this, the Chinese government is doing things concerned mothers and Republicans wished they could do.

I'm sorry, but you have this wrong. Communists are the far left, Fascists are the far right. Look here This is the only picture I could quickly find that shows the relationship with each party. It was a nice try at attempting to make republicans look like communists though; too bad you messed up your facts. Laughing

I think his point was more that at any extreme there are problems and trying to point out that there wasn't that much difference between China and the US in some sense. I assume that everyone is aware that republicans aren't communists.

Instead of viewing the political spectrum as a line (like in the example you posted,) one could perhaps view it as a circle. Here is a link to a rather complicated diagram, but I think it might get the point across.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/904/politicsrd0.jpg
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
rather complicated diagram

Politics Dragon has my vote. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm scared for those shows in China. Since I like those shows, I'm worried that China will get rid of everything that's related.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't really blame China for banning anime, considering Koizumi isn't helping trade relations by visiting the war [criminal] shrine... Rolling Eyes
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:

I think his point was more that at any extreme there are problems and trying to point out that there wasn't that much difference between China and the US in some sense. I assume that everyone is aware that republicans aren't communists.

I don't think he (AlphaBlitz) was trying to say that, for most of that is not in his comment. It appears he was trying to take a pot shot at republicans and I just wanted to set him straight. For he did say that, “this might happen to the US if there's a President who's far enough to the Right or something of the sort,” specifically referring to far right people being like communists. Not to mention he said, “the Chinese government is doing things concerned mothers and Republicans wished they could do.” Saying that republicans wished they could be like communists in their practices and have the same ideals as per his earlier comment. This does make it appear that he doesn’t realize that far right republicans aren’t communists.

Last edited by Jabberwock on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
So, does this affect all Chinese broadcasts?

XingKong (a Mainland China free-to-air satellite channel) has been showing anime during prime time, and they repeat it again at midnight and again in the morning around 6am. That's where I first watched Naruto, but now they're showing repeats of Inuyasha.

Although I do understand that the government wants to help out their own industry by wiping out a bit of competition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:
So, does this affect all Chinese broadcasts?

As far as I can tell (by a couple of AP articles), yes.
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Live in a Communist country, and this is the kind of behaviour you get from the leaders. First they start with little things, then they start to take away a little more. Next thing you know, nothing will be aired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8