• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam AGE Promotional Video Streamed Outside Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Son, I am disspoint.
Seriouslt... is a MANLY Gundam pilot too much to ask?
They don't all have to Char, but come one.... just ONE!

It's up to Harlock now to give us a dose of manliness. Laughing

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-13/space-pirate-captain-harlock-3d-pilot-clips-posted
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
This new Gundam series reminds me a lot of the mecha shows, such as Vifam, from the early to mid-80s that had children as members of the main cast.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Not really digging how "cute" everything is. The character designs remind me of a lot of those kid shows based off card merchandise.

The character designs don't look nearly as cheap as a lot of other kid shows to me. It looks like I'm probably the only person who likes them though.

I was speaking in regards to aesthetic more than production quality. I'm sure a Gundam series will generally have high production values.

I guess I could have probably chosen a better word then cheap. I was also referring to the original design concepts and not how well they were executed in the actual show. I guess its just a difference of perception.

Beltane70 wrote:
This new Gundam series reminds me a lot of the mecha shows, such as Vifam, from the early to mid-80s that had children as members of the main cast.

Its giving me more of a classic vibe to.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

In terms of manly main character? Only G Gundam has ever really had one.

Char, Kou, Gato and Amada were pretty manly. I'm not talking about huge muscle-men, I just mean that they looked relatively like men. And they were at least over 18. Gundam AGE? More like Gundam UNDERAGE.

I would never use the word manly to describe Kou or Shiro. Those two are not even ace pilots. If you don't mean main protagonist than Mu La Flaga is certainly manly, Graham and Ali are fairly manly in the first season of Gundam 00, and Sergei is manly throughout the series. Most of the characters in G Gundam are manly.

In terms of age most main Gundam pilots are underage. Kamille is one of the older pilots at 17.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The promo seems to reveal an aesthetic more close to V Gundam than anything.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

I don't understand the need for a "manly" main character. I'll settle for a well-written one, regardless of how much hair's on his chest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The AGE combat robot system that can evolve the robot through battles sounds like MegaMan Gundam. Laughing

"Some of the products will be equipped with computer chips so customers can play fighting games against computers, it said."
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Danboru Senki meets Gundam. I wonder if the evil guys will surrender after a speech about love and football... oh, wait, wrong anime.

U.G's sales might be worse than I thought if Bandai need to turn to kids now...

But, hey, it's their business. Good luck with Gundam Age.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The new enemy unit designs look pretty good, and it is a sure sign of relief after having Zaku derivatives being used for almost 30 freaking years, I'm down with freaky inhumanoid mecha.

But watching the actual Gundam show up, I can't help but think its another fad cash in like Ganbaride and the past two seasons of Super Sentai, where the lead characters amass a huge amount of parts (which equal more sales, but then again, this IS Gundam) rather than doing a more straight up kind of show. The retroesque designs do make an older fan feel kind of like a kid again.

I hope it makes an appearance in the US though, it does seem to be worthwhile.
OtakuboyT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw - after watching it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U - my review

Robot parts, looks very current gritty modern. THEN you have the parts with people (other than the "Federation" captain) which make Vifam looks mature.

It's like this was a double billing and no one mentioned that tit was it seemed like I was watching two different shows. I swear it looked like a bad kiddy show.

I love the Gundam series, I really liked ZZ, the only Gundam things I didn't care for was SEED Destiny (aka Reused Clips the Series) and Superior Defender (I'd had to see Inferior Defender). I don't even count G-Savior.

Granted I have yet to finish Turn A, or see the 00 movie. But, really it's like they've never seen Gundam before. I don't even think Tomino could save this.

If this goes on, we DEMAND something in exchange, maybe a F91 series would make up for this.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Um…OK?

It's kind of interesting seeing Gundam presented in the light of a children's show (a la trading card game shows). A "Real Robot" like a Gundam amidst soft, kiddy character designs, seems awkward-fitting, but it is kind of an intriguing mix (the alien-like enemy MS designs, oddly enough, seem to fit better (they look pretty hot too, and are a breath of fresh air after the number of derivative/common types of recent)). More importantly, perhaps, is that AGE looks to stand as a possible, true gateway title for younger viewers to get into the Gundam franchise (SEED was in a family timeslot, but wasn't exactly "family-friendly" all of the time--though AGE may or may not be, either). What looks like a horrible idea to most hardcore or veteran Gundam fans may be a genius one for Sunrise/Bandai in the long run, provided the execution is there (SD Gundam Force, anyone?).

All that said, I think that the mix could potentially be too eclectic a one to work, especially if they are planning on working in the more moribund aspects of Gundam and cannot reconcile that and the kiddy elements at work, creating something too dark to work as a children's show but too bright and kiddy to be palatable for Gundam fans or older audiences (the more "real" mecha designs may not gel with the character designs or show nature, either). Additionally, the SEED and 00 touches feel tiresome, as both shows (the two most recent TV franchises, spanning across the last decade) borrowed elements from previous series. With yet another TV series taking visual cues from previous ones (and from said most recent ones, at that), it really gives Gundam something of a tired, shopworn feel, which doesn't have to be the case.

In spite of my apprehensions, I am still willing to give Sunrise & Level 5 the benefit of a doubt and see how their show will turn out. It's strange to see Gundam in such a fashion, but maybe it could work out…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bunnyhopper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
since this is gundam, I will watch, albeit with a grain of salt...
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Whether or not they manage to pull it off, there's always a chance Gundam AGE will be better in practice than in theory. Good execution may well make up for what may not necessarily be the best combination of ideas in the world.

The promotional video was fine, I guess, but not exactly too compelling. I'm at least slightly interested in checking this out, given its potentially entertaining use of the whole generational premise, despite not particularly caring for the character or mecha designs at this point in time.

These are pretty much my thoughts exactly. It could have potential despite the childish design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about this one. I love the quality of animation, with no 3DCG. The 3DCG looks too much like video game for my tastes.

Anyways, the is just me but animation style reminds me of Astro Boy or updated version of Cyborg 009.

I agree with alot folks, i'm getting tired of little kids piloting Gundams as the leads these shows. The story sounds interesting, i just wish the lead wasn't a kid. Amuro Ray was young, but least he was a teenager. I rather see Gundam: Crossbones get treatment animation treatment, then this attempt.

Is possible this suppose to reach out for young crowd while Gundam Unicorn takes care of veteran fans? [/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2