• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman FAQ: "How do I get my idea made into an anime?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
If you want someone to take interest in your idea you should be able to prove to them how much you care about it too.

I see lots of people with general ideas, but if they haven't already storyboarded or drafted up a script for the entire thing then I would not believe that they are as dedicated as they say they are.

Also, plenty of people have ideas. Yours are unlikely to be special.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
It must be depressing to think you have creative talent and to know that ability is very likely never going to amount to anything. Good thing I have no creative abilities. My ability is following instructions and getting the job done at work. My extent of creativity is working out my own way of getting from A to B as long as B is close enough to what is requested. All is good with the world.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Even as a Starry-eyed kid with dreams of being a completely unknown television writer, and maybe one day helming my own show, I knew then I'd have to be on Stan Lee's level to get an anime made in Japan, as an American who speaks no Japanese.

So, I feel like I'm ahead of the curb, there.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:
Was it profitable? From what I understand, no...

That's a shame to hear. Oban is really good.

Agreed. I remember staying up until 2 in the morning when it was airing on Disney Anime hyper. (I was around 11 at the time, so staying up until 2 was a big deal. At least it was summer) That series shifted my interest towards anime, and started me into becoming the big anime fan that I am today.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
Also what is wrong with making a cartoon? Why do you want to go to japan to have them make it and release it to a Japanese audience and then hope it gets put out in America as a secondary audience?

If you have no problem with working on the ridiculously short leash that is western animation, then by all means go ahead. I hope the show you want to make is appropriate enough for 7 year old kids who watch Nickelodeon, because otherwise you're idea isn't getting made.

ChibiGoku wrote:
Seeing this whole thing makes me think back to the whole hassle that went into getting Oban Star Racers made. It took the guy many, many years to get the project off the ground, and once he started working on it in Japan, from my understanding the project was anything but straight forward, going as far as Savin choosing to right the scripts himself as opposed to letting someone else do so. I heard something about disagreements with the production committee with the scripts.

Was it profitable? From what I understand, no, but it did help get people like Savin Yeatman-Eiffel and Thomas Romain more known in the market, particularly Thomas in Japan where he still works today.

Oban's is probably an example of how hard it is to work in the animation industry, period, not necessarily in Japan. I wonder if the write up of the whole production process is still available...

I believe there is a difference between an actual anime and a western cartoon that just so happens to be animated in Japan and co-production shows, which Oban falls into the later category. There are a lot of western works that have their animated done in Japan, often because the creator is a huge anime fan and he feels this makes his work more authentic or actually an anime. It is a bit of a deluded mentality, unfortunately.

-Stuart Smith
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If I could, by way of my column, put that in a large flashing marquee, don a top hat and do a soft shoe musical number around that sentence, I would.

Imagining this is hilarious. I can totally see the words in bright, flashing neon lights with a top hat and holding a cane tap dancing his way around it.

In my case, any "grand ideas" I ever had was stuff I wanted to pull off myself, not give to someone else, by way of a novel or video game (not that any of that ever happened). I don't think I ever even considered being "the one with the ideas" because it would feel like the laziest, do-nothing "job" ever, and I wouldn't trust others to pull off my idea the way I want it done, anyway.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
thenix wrote:
Also what is wrong with making a cartoon? Why do you want to go to japan to have them make it and release it to a Japanese audience and then hope it gets put out in America as a secondary audience?

If you have no problem with working on the ridiculously short leash that is western animation, then by all means go ahead. I hope the show you want to make is appropriate enough for 7 year old kids who watch Nickelodeon, because otherwise you're idea isn't getting made.

Rolling Eyes You're really just showing your own ignorance with a comment like this. Of course, you're not wrong that chances are you'll probably never get to work on a deadly serious, R rated western animated show. That really doesn't happen. But western cartoons haven't really been limited to what's appropriate for "7 year olds" for a decade. If you actually watch them you'll see that shows these days get away with a ton in terms of mature, intelligent and often somewhat risque content. So yeah. I'd rather be stuck trying to push the envelope as far as I can in the west than chasing some absurd dream that I'm gonna go to a foreign country (and a notoriously homogeneous one at that) where I don't even speak the language and not only break into the animation industry but actually get to a point where you can get your own original project off the ground. And hey, ya never know. It seems like "kids" cartoons are getting less and less kid friendly. And adult comedies are edging slowly toward being more serious. Maybe in the future we actually will see some company take a risk and finally combine the two and do a largely serious cartoon aimed at a teen or young adult audience.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Rolling Eyes You're really just showing your own ignorance with a comment like this. Of course, you're not wrong that chances are you'll probably never get to work on a deadly serious, R rated western animated show. That really doesn't happen. But western cartoons haven't really been limited to what's appropriate for "7 year olds" for a decade. If you actually watch them you'll see that shows these days get away with a ton in terms of mature, intelligent and often somewhat risque content. So yeah. I'd rather be stuck trying to push the envelope as far as I can in the west than chasing some absurd dream that I'm gonna go to a foreign country (and a notoriously homogeneous one at that) where I don't even speak the language and not only break into the animation industry but actually get to a point where you can get your own original project off the ground. And hey, ya never know. It seems like "kids" cartoons are getting less and less kid friendly. And adult comedies are edging slowly toward being more serious. Maybe in the future we actually will see some company take a risk and finally combine the two and do a largely serious cartoon aimed at a teen or young adult audience.

The real problem with a western cartoon is that commercial, non-indie western animation is either CG or looks like Family Guy or Adventure time.

Now, I'm not saying it would be impossible to create a western animation that looked good (or at least the animation existed as serious art in itself), but It would probably be much easier to outsource the animation to Japan.

I also disagree with the article's main point that it's impossible for a non-Japanese person to make an anime. There are in fact several foreigners that have found their way into the industry, and that number continues to grow. Sure it's 'small', and maybe 'an exception', but it seems decently well proportionally scaled when you consider how many foreigners would want to work in that industry compared to Japanese people.

Anyone's best bet is to go in through the art department rather than the writing department, seeing as that's how it's happening now.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Answerman laying down the truth... this is the best Answerman ever. Its always so awkward and cringe worthy hearing random westerners talk about how they want their random story adapted to anime.

Altorrin wrote:
I was thinking this. Why not instead of telling people "Give on up on your worthless dreams", tell them a less-direct method of doing it...? I mean, this question was answered like anime are never adapted from other mediums.

I think the biggest problem is that you're simply not Japanese. It doesn't matter how hard you try, you're not going to get an anime unless you're Japanese and part of that industry to begin with. There are obviously some exceptions, like Freezing is done by a Korean, but their manwha industry is pretty much intertwined with Japans manga industry as it is. Oh and theres also Stan Lee, but I doubt many people who want their stuff turned into anime have the resume he does.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:
Was it profitable? From what I understand, no...

That's a shame to hear. Oban is really good.

Agreed. I remember staying up until 2 in the morning when it was airing on Disney Anime hyper. (I was around 11 at the time, so staying up until 2 was a big deal. At least it was summer) That series shifted my interest towards anime, and started me into becoming the big anime fan that I am today.

It probably depends on what you understand as "profitable". Maybe Savin Yeatman-Eiffeldon't roll in cash, but don't starve either since he started new project (2Queens) far from anything you can expect from children's animation.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I don't get the mindset of "I want to make an anime" people. I mean, when you have a story itching you at the back of your head you just try to put it down one way or another, not specifically long to make it in foreign, close-knit industry whose language you can't understand.
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
Things like Oban/Gotham Knight aren't anime. They're French/American animations. it should be noted that any chance DC/WB will get to include Significant-Intense amount of blood/content, they'll do it on home video. Having Japanese directors doesn't changes that fact, since the chief directors are Americans(Toshi Himura is a Japanese-American) and the writing and planning are American. Superman TAS has a nice Japanese-American ratio of directors, yet I don't see that on this farce of a forum. So why are 2 non-anime on this site? Oban is considered a French cartoon even in France, hence why it won an award for best NON-Japanese animation.

The Marvel anime on the other hand are anime. Really bad ones, that contrary to popular were not controlled by those "evil Americans are Marvel." It was mostly Madhouse's fault those shows sucked.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
For everyone who keeps on bringing up random people succeeding in getting an anime/manga made. Just remember Daft Punk has an anime. So you are as likely to succeed in getting an anime made by being an insanely popular musician as actually working specifically towards that goal.

To succeed as a westerner is a very difficult road, in a road that is already full of holes and wild dogs and other things. It's effectively impossible and it takes a very lucky set of circumstances and skills to get it done.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
The real problem with a western cartoon is that commercial, non-indie western animation is either CG or looks like Family Guy or Adventure time.

I don't even know how to respond to this. Saying it looks like "Family Guy or Adventure Time" is absurd right off the bat because you've just listed two shows that look pretty different. Same goes for saying "It's CG" as if that's somehow automatically bad. I mean are you serious? That's like a westerner saying "The problem with anime is that it's all traditional animation".

In actuality, western animation is radically visually diverse. Hell, it's far more diverse than anime is which tends to be overwhelmingly dominated by one particular art style (although of course there are exceptions). And besides, if you're really so determined that "anime style" is the best style...well you can do that too in western animation.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Galap wrote:

I don't even know how to respond to this. Saying it looks like "Family Guy or Adventure Time" is absurd right off the bat because you've just listed two shows that look pretty different. Same goes for saying "It's CG" as if that's somehow automatically bad. I mean are you serious? That's like a westerner saying "The problem with anime is that it's all traditional animation".

In actuality, western animation is radically visually diverse. Hell, it's far more diverse than anime is which tends to be overwhelmingly dominated by one particular art style (although of course there are exceptions). And besides, if you're really so determined that "anime style" is the best style...well you can do that too in western animation.

I was operating under the assumption that if the person wanted to make an anime, they had an a priori desire to have it utilize that visual paradigm. CG is ruled out because it's a different medium. If the westerner wanted to make a claymation or something, then yes they would be valid to say "The problem with anime is that it's all traditional animation." and from what I've seen, basically all western TV drawn animation (with the partial exception of the French in certain situations) does have one similarity visually: it all has a very flat geometry, and symbolic rather than depicitonal imagery. If the person doesn't want it to look like that, then it's going to be a lot harder to assemble the resources to produce it.

ATLA was animated by a Korean studio. Then again, so are a lot of things, so that's kind of entering into the slightly dumb discourse of "If component X is from country A and Y is from B, well then which nationality is the project?", which I don't really want to enter into.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Anyone's best bet is to go in through the art department rather than the writing department, seeing as that's how it's happening now.

Yep. That I totally agree.
There are other venues out here and there are several foreigners already work as artists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7