• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman FAQ: "How do I get my idea made into an anime?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaitoDoku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Really your better off, making your own comic or manga if you can and sell them by chapters at conventions...or try to find a publishing deals here with Dark Horse or something
Mugley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to draw here. Can you elaborate? I think the post I linked to already provides ample evidence of the diversity in western drawn animation. Exactly what characteristic do you think it lacks?

Gatta agree with Gallop. Western animation lacks a lot of detail, look flat, have minimal shading, zero weight, and has a distinct style to it. It's just the way the culture around it grew up. Most animators grew up on old Hanna Barbara cartoons which were very simple looking and they probably emulated those shows when they drew, and kids today are going to grow up with Adventure Time and Sanjay and Craig and emulate that which is why tumblr is filled with that kind of noodle-body artstyle. It's kind of impossible to replicate a cultural upbringing where you grow up surrounded by anime and that's what you learn art from. You can have guys try to imitate it like Avatar, but they doesn't look anywhere near as good and anyone can tell the difference.

I'm afraid I was 12 once too and wanted to make my own anime. Laughing Now I look back at it and realize it was just Tenchi Universe with the names changed because I loved that show back in the day and, well, let's face it, most kids are unoriginal and stupid and just copy what they see which is probably why you got so many hedgehog and pony recolors on DeviantArt. I was there once myself... you usually grow out of it, though.
KaitoDoku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At least none of those shows are horribly off model like shitty Conan. And look at the pot calling the kettle black. Conan has atrocious art. Also, at least those shows end. Conan sucks horse manure. Shitty art and boring as fudge. Animation is supposed to be entertainment, first and foremost. Star Wars is entertaining. Conan is not.

The art style does not make an anime. Sure, its distinctive enough to know who the author of a manga, or the animation studio, but that alone doesn't make an anime. Conan is meant to appeal to its demographic and the people who grew up watching it.
Quote:

Star Wars is entertaining. Conan is not. Also, anime CG is like 100X worse, so be lucky you idiotic TitanXL sheep.

Not true, while CG does look bad in a series that doesn't need it, look at Blue Submarine No. 6, for its time, and even today the CG is phenomenal. Want another example, Gankutsuou with its minor CG in the knight battle. Want a more recent example, Gundam Unicorn, Valvrave the Liberator, Majestic Prince, Gargantia and Arpeggio of Blue Steel.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I find the idea that Daria, South Park, Mission Hill, Home Movies, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls and Venture Bros. are stylistically homogenous to be absolutely befuddling.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
At least none of those shows are horribly off model like shitty Conan. And look at the pot calling the kettle black. Conan has atrocious art. Also, at least those shows end. Conan sucks horse manure. Shitty art and boring as fudge. Animation is supposed to be entertainment, first and foremost. Star Wars is entertaining. Conan is not. Also, anime CG is like 100X worse, so be lucky you idiotic TitanXL sheep.

I can only interpret your sign of hostility, personal attacks, and non-sequitur rants as a sign you have no real point to make and are just looking to troll.

-Stuart Smith
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
I find the idea that Daria, South Park, Mission Hill, Home Movies, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls and Venture Bros. are stylistically homogenous to be absolutely befuddling.

You mean like how people like ikillchicken insist Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Kill La Kill, and Fairy Tail are all stylistically homogenous? >_> People are just going to cherry pick examples to prove "NUH UH ITS ALL UNIQUE" or "YES HUH ITS ALL THE SAME" which is what happens in every argument about this because it's just a pissing contest.

spoiler[Though I can safely say I totally prefer the art styles in anime compared to the shows you listed. I find them all ugly lookin and prefer the more beautiful anime style which has some effort put into the detailing >_>]
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

You mean like how people like ikillchicken insist Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Kill La Kill, and Fairy Tail are all stylistically homogenous? >_> People are just going to cherry pick examples to prove "NUH UH ITS ALL UNIQUE" or "YES HUH ITS ALL THE SAME" which is what happens in every argument about this because it's just a pissing contest.

spoiler[Though I can safely say I totally prefer the art styles in anime compared to the shows you listed. I find them all ugly lookin and prefer the more beautiful anime style which has some effort put into the detailing >_>]

Only anime 39 episodes or less or from 1963-2007 have detail. Anime like Big O, Outlaw Star, Bebop, Hellsing, Trigun, Macross 7, Gundam Wing during Sakuga, Gundam X during Sakuga, original Yu-Gi-Oh look better than any western cartoon and especially modern anime.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
It never hurts to be positive, but yeah, I can't imagine it's any easy to for an average Joe in the US (or even Japan) to get an anime made. You'd be better off trying to get it published as a book or comic here, which is easier than ever with self-publishing gaining in popularity. How MANY people discovering your work is a different story, but never stop chasing your dreams. However, "chasing" means putting a lot of work and effort. It can unfortunately also mean doing a lot of ass-kissing. I've learned that first hand.

I think anime and western animation are equally as stylish and equal in quality...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
Also, anime CG is like 100X worse, so be lucky you idiotic TitanXL sheep.

How would you know TitanXL if you registered well after he was banned? Hmmmmm?

HMMMMMMM?!

Are you evading some other ban perhaps? I highly doubt you were just browsing the forums without an account. Your personality wouldn't allow not butting into conversations.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to draw here. Can you elaborate? I think the post I linked to already provides ample evidence of the diversity in western drawn animation. Exactly what characteristic do you think it lacks?

The fact that western animation is widely varied doesn't mean that there aren't a great deal of things it doesn't do.

I think the easiest example to demonstrate is with background animation, and animation that depcits 3 dimensional motion and geometry. If anyone can show me commercial western traditional animation that does anything even remotely like the following, I'll be (very pleasantly) surprised: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8WcoaYMT70

From everything I've seen, in western productions, that approach simply does not exist.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

The fact that western animation is widely varied doesn't mean that there aren't a great deal of things it doesn't do.

I think the easiest example to demonstrate is with background animation, and animation that depcits 3 dimensional motion and geometry. If anyone can show me commercial western traditional animation that does anything even remotely like the following, I'll be (very pleasantly) surprised: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8WcoaYMT70

From everything I've seen, in western productions, that approach simply does not exist.

You know why that looks so good? They used it in every single episode, so they could afford to spend more time on it, because it saved them tons of time later. (and if that's from the movie, that's just cheating.)
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
You know why that looks so good? They used it in every single episode, so they could afford to spend more time on it, because it saved them tons of time later. (and if that's from the movie, that's just cheating.)

First, which cut are you talking about? There's stuff from a lot of different anime in that video.

Second, It's a red herring anyway. I didn't post the video to demonstrate how good anime can look (though it doesn't do a bad job of that Laughing). I posted it to demonstrate the specific technique of moving in three dimensions in drawn animation, which is a thing that's not done in western animation.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:

Hand-drawn "3d animation" has been used in tv anime at least since the 70s, not counting OPs. Starzinger, Macross and Urusei Yatsura come to mind. Urusei Yatsura has several "3d" scenes people are chasing Ataru across the city.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
@Galap Treasure Planet. Now shut the fudge up. Show me a TV anime with proper facial expressions and fluid movement, as well as cel count like Tiny Toons or Pinky and the Brain or even Ducktales or even Rugrats. Hell, even Spongebob. Show me one with proper lip syncing, instead of lame movements to save money, time and cut the frames. Show me one with natural movement. When was the time, where anime has a bunch of shows with fluid, natural movement, like there was in the States during the 90s? None. There wasn't shit. You think you know shit about animation. You know JACK shit.

If you're going to come at me like that, then piss off.

Treasure planet was CG (at least the parts you're talking about), and that's a different medium.

The current Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta has good facial expressions. So did Shinsekai Yori. Dokidoki Precure has very fluid movement at times. Natural movement? That can be found in any number of titles.

Who gives a toss about cel count, anyway? It's not the number of cels, it's what you do with them that counts.

This is all orthogonal to what I was talking about anyway. I never said that anime has more cels than tiny toons. I'm saying that anime treats its characters and settings as 3 dimensional forms, and western animation doesn't. Holy hell man.
Mugley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
@Mugley Says the idiot with a Shin-Chan avatar for God's sake. Shin-Chin is way uglier than Simpsons. Considering the fact that Shin-Chan is like the 2nd Japanese Simpsons, it looks way worse.

First of all, that's pretty rude. Second of all, you're taking the comparisons at face value and not looking at why the shows choose their styles. Shin-chan is drawn the way it is on purpose because it's meant to invoke child-like drawings. That's why it's called Crayon Shin-chan. The whole point of the show is about a child-like view of the world and life. Could you really give me a similar explanation for why Adventure Time and Regular Show or any similar looking show looks the way it does? You're also not giving it much credit because despite it's crude style it still has some nice animation techniques you don't really see in the west.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz2ymz_crayon-shin-chan-op12

Secondly, Shin-chan being one of the few crude-looking anime out there doesn't really change the fact most anime have a nice amount of detail and art design going on for them. Here it seems like Regular Show and Adventure Time are the rule, not the exception
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7