• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sketman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Ouch that is a bit harsh for Sket Dance. Yea the first episode was not the best way to start of the series, but what I have seen so far has made me enjoy what I am watching. If it goes well it could be my favorite of the season or how ever many episode it is supposed to have.

I've been curious about Needless now for a few weeks so I think I will have to give it a rent one of these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
"Little Boy" was the Hiroshima bomb, wasn't it?

Imagine an American production using that as an attack move.
Now who's being insensitive? Laughing
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I love One Piece, but I have a hard time with filler or weak arcs (like Skypea)--where are my banana gators?!

1-200 had some truly great arcs like Nami's (one of the best, in my opinion), but mercy, do I ever lose interest during weak arcs or filler.

While I know One Piece is more of a "kids" show in Japan, Luffy's seeming invincibility has become both boring and irksome. Where's the drama or tension when a character has no enemy to give them pause or a run for their money? It's another gum-gum whatever and the problem or person goes away.

While I have my cranky pants on...

Why does Luffy always have to save the day? I know, it's a "kids" show and Luffy's the "hero."
FrogHatVampirate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I was shocked to find out the last episode of the G-8 arc and the third season wasn't included in this set of One Piece. o: It's my favorite filler arc.

Do you plan to review One Piece Collection sets for Shelf Life Erin? =] I'd like to read them.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For example, compare Kappa Mikey with Megas XLR; one show was an anime parody done by people who didn't know much about anime (as I heard from a staff member), and one was made by people who love anime but also wanted to poke fun at it.

This might be an obvious answer, but I'm not seeing it, which one are you saying was done by people who didn't know much about anime, and which one was done by people who love it?

I gotta see more of One Piece, it sounds really good.

Nice shleves Matthew!

Quote:
I tried again with Bleach, but eventually decided the same thing.

That's because it's Bleach. Bleach hasn't been going anywhere, so I've heard.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Quote:
For example, compare Kappa Mikey with Megas XLR; one show was an anime parody done by people who didn't know much about anime (as I heard from a staff member), and one was made by people who love anime but also wanted to poke fun at it.

This might be an obvious answer, but I'm not seeing it, which one are you saying was done by people who didn't know much about anime, and which one was done by people who love it?

It is slightly ambiguous with the context of having seen both. I have, so I'm almost sure that Kappa Mikey was the one that was made without much knowledge of anime, which might explain why I could never quite grasp what that waste of Michael Sinterniklaas was trying to needle, whereas Megas XLR was made by people who were teasing something they were fond of. (I somehow doubt that their casting Wendee Lee and Steve Blum in lead parts was pure happenstance and then there was the Sailor Moon parody...)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't think the manga uses the acronym for "SKET" used in the opener anywhere. It's primarily a romanization of 助っ人 (suketto), which means "helper" or "second." You'll hear it a lot in anime referring to people who fill in for club activities or tournaments.

I thought "Support, Kindness, Encouragement, Troubleshoot" was pretty lame myself Smile but I think SKET Dance in general isn't terribly suited for an anime, since it's not particularly attractive to a wide audience. If it lasts long enough, though, it gets much better.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
I started off really enjoying One Piece, but 100 episodes later, I felt this was a show that was intended to never truly go anywhere. I felt so ripped off, that I not only dropped the series, but swore off all of these endless shounen fighting series. Evil or Very Mad I tried again with Bleach, but eventually decided the same thing. These shows don't go anywhere. In fact they seem to be designed to never get anywhere, as the conclusion of a real story could result in the end of the $$$ (I mean the franchise).

I'm sort of curious as to how One Piece of all series would give you that "endless" impression, as it's almost the only series in the long-run shounen genre that has a clearly-defined ending point from the outset. It's right there in the title...Luffy's true dream is to sail the length of the Grand Line and find One Piece, to claim the title of King of the Pirates. The series will presumably reach its conclusion when Luffy and the Straw Hats finally get there, and based on all of the story elements Oda has set up years in advance, I have no reason to believe that he doesn't know exactly how it's going to end already. (This is in direct opposition to a series like Bleach, which as much as I enjoy it, has Kubo blatantly proclaiming "Yeah, I'm making this up as I go" at almost every juncture.) I'm almost doubly surprised that you gave up at the series at the point you did, in the midst of its first truly-large-scale saga, which winds up having a spectacular climax and resolution. That's the show's bread and butter, so if it didn't draw you in, I guess it just isn't for you.

Gasero wrote:
I was able to stick with One Piece by skipping arcs that didn't seem progressive and only watching when the episodes seemed to be going somewhere. I've been on a One Piece hiatus for about 70 episodes now.

Without going into spoiler details, depending on where you stopped watching, you've missed some truly massive events that have series-changing significance. I'd highly recommend at least looking over some summaries for what you've missed, though I'd even more strongly recommend actually watching/reading the material. Smile

Regarding Erin's review, despite it being technically filler, the G8 arc is a part of One Piece that I greatly enjoy (certainly more so than the canon material that comes immediately afterwards). Hell, if I hadn't been told in advance, I don't know that I would have known that it wasn't originally from the manga. It generally has far better writing than any of the other filler arcs, and it certainly helps that its main opponent is a likeable, intelligent guy, as opposed to the blundering idiots that most filler arcs get. I just hope FUNi announces the acquisition of additional episodes soon, as I'm finally starting to charge my way through snapping up the previous sets. Smile
Mmsven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Nice shelves! Looks like you got a really nice game collection there too!

It's hard building a game and anime collection in tandem, both are expensive hobbies!

McDonald's is on the verge of minimum wage, but I've just been careful about my purchases, especially after quitting that job. I always buy anime on sale at Rightstuf, and in large quantity so I can get free shipping (over $150 for Canadians). It's a requirement for anyone in Canada since the local prices and selection are so poor.

As for games, I only buy full priced games every half a year when I know the game is going to be worth it. I mainly patiently look for cheap and highly-rated games, and I've been able to build my Xbox-PS2 very easily because my local game-focused pawn shop offers some high quality games for $5 each. As for older games, I keep an eye out on one of the local trading sites and I've gotten some beastly deals on the most popular Genesis games.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sort of curious as to how One Piece of all series would give you that "endless" impression, as it's almost the only series in the long-run shounen genre that has a clearly-defined ending point from the outset. It's right there in the title...Luffy's true dream is to sail the length of the Grand Line and find One Piece, to claim the title of King of the Pirates. The series will presumably reach its conclusion when Luffy and the Straw Hats finally get there, and based on all of the story elements Oda has set up years in advance, I have no reason to believe that he doesn't know exactly how it's going to end already.

Doesn't mean that Oda can't put about billion "islands of adventure" between till they reach the Grand Line. Sure, each one may have a little nugget of forshadowing, or a plot coupon or a new character, but in my experience (I stopped after the Thriller Bark arc), they're rarely worth the 50 episodes/chapters it takes to get them.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is a fun ride for me, so I personally don't care how long it takes at this point. After Thriller Bark, there was a succession of massive unveiling of events and characters that pushed the direction of the overall plot.

I was also wondering if the One Piece Collection Boxes will include the art covers from the Season Sets?
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
Nice shelves! Looks like you got a really nice game collection there too!

It's hard building a game and anime collection in tandem, both are expensive hobbies!

McDonald's is on the verge of minimum wage, but I've just been careful about my purchases, especially after quitting that job. I always buy anime on sale at Rightstuf, and in large quantity so I can get free shipping (over $150 for Canadians). It's a requirement for anyone in Canada since the local prices and selection are so poor.

As for games, I only buy full priced games every half a year when I know the game is going to be worth it. I mainly patiently look for cheap and highly-rated games, and I've been able to build my Xbox-PS2 very easily because my local game-focused pawn shop offers some high quality games for $5 each. As for older games, I keep an eye out on one of the local trading sites and I've gotten some beastly deals on the most popular Genesis games.

I'm so jealous of your Haibane Renmei boxset. Shocked

That's quite the collection, I love it. And yeah, as a fellow Canadian, thank god for Rightstuf. Razz
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Doesn't mean that Oda can't put about billion "islands of adventure" between till they reach the Grand Line. Sure, each one may have a little nugget of forshadowing, or a plot coupon or a new character, but in my experience (I stopped after the Thriller Bark arc), they're rarely worth the 50 episodes/chapters it takes to get them.

I believe Oda has already said that he's added more stuff beyond what he originally envisioned. OTOH, he has also stated that the manga has now passed the halfway point to being done.

Funimation (Hulu) has a LOT of subbed One Piece starting at the Sabaody Archipelago and running through the Impel Down and Marineford Arcs (up to its current Japanese release). These arcs get consecutively more awesome, and by the Marineford Arc, you will see that Luffy is *NOT* an unstoppable jaggernaut. Things GO DOWN at Marineford. Really, there are some pretty amazing stuff that happens there that would be a shame to miss.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Luffy and crew make a run for it, and disguise themselves as Navy officers, (except for Zoro, who isn't that clever).

Oh Zolo! That's why I love you! (yes, I love Zolo because he is stupid Anime hyper)

G8 is a filler arc and yet it's shelf worthy?! I wanna check it out now (is a One Piece manga follower)!!! Not sure how I can do it legally though without buying the actual set...I don't want a random One Piece set on my shelf that I will (probably) never watch again.

I love Shonen Jump. I had such high expectations for this season with SKET Dance, Toriko and Blue Exorcist. I've dropped all three though...so disappointed. At least the restarting of Gintama is full of awesome.

I find it a little sad (and annoying) that anytime a Shonen Jump title is brought up people start complaining about Bleach >.< Sure its not a masterpiece but no one (especially on the internet) is saying it is! Is it so bad that people have to vent every time something marginally related is mentioned?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
One Piece is a fun ride for me, so I personally don't care how long it takes at this point. After Thriller Bark, there was a succession of massive unveiling of events and characters that pushed the direction of the overall plot.

I was also wondering if the One Piece Collection Boxes will include the art covers from the Season Sets?

If Oda had made those massive events happen a hunder or so chapters earlier then maybe I could've been more forgiving. But nope, we had to have that giant island, Skypeia and the Davey Back fight. Plus, making every other arc about 1.5 times longer than it needed to be.

And it's only half done? So it's got what, 600+ chapters left (if Oda's mind doesn't wander anymore...). Sorry, but I can think of several dozen much shorter series that I'd rather be reading instead.

But pacing is just one of several problems I have with One Piece. Like the characters, who I do not find funny, charming or endearing, but whom I rather feel are a bunch of annoying, shrill charicatures.

...except for Robin. To me it almost feels like she just walked in from an entirely differant, smarter and more well thought out series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4