• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sketman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
First: I felt like I needed to skip every other episode, because the first third was a recap of the previous episode, the final third was going to be recapped in the next episode, and the middle third was too frequently a flashback to some event that happened 30 episodes ago. Maybe if I wasn't marathoning the show this would have been less of a problem.

Ha HAH I always fast forward through flashbacks, intros, and outros when marathoning. With Shonen Jump fighting shows I fast forward until I see the show title, since that means the recap is over.

My husband is fond of giving percentages of wasted time. "Skypia could've been 20% shorter," he said last week. Or "Alabasta could've been 30% shorter." There could definitely be a One Piece Kai...

LaFreccia wrote:
Third: As I recall, there was a huge fight (lasting god only knows how long) ... BUT then it was shown that everyone was better, so the villains could reappear at any time, meaning there was basically no difference between having seen the fight or not, because it didn't really matter.

I call this Shonen Jump Resurrection Syndrome. I wasn't really aware of it until a certain Naruto Arc when spoiler[Chouji totally looked dead, along with some other characters] and then later they all miraculously recovered in the hospital.

The characters in One Piece are often dealt near-fatal blows, especially towards the end of arcs, only to fully recover later. Consider something like DBZ, where everyone keeps getting wished back to life or healed via sensu bean... I think that may have set a precedent.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yes, she loves money, and things like the crazy interest are a running gag (you'd think the other crew members would figure out at some point that it's better to go without than borrow from her), but "evil"?

Yep. She is an insult to the feminine gender.
Top Gun wrote:
Not in the least. There are so many different moments I could point to where she shows how much she truly cares for the whole crew, that she knows what's actually important...hell, she's even been known to utter the phrase "Money doesn't matter!" when things get bad.
Yeah, Elizabeth cared AFTER she kissed Jack Sparrow so she could chain him to the Pearl. Guilt was just eating her up. My daughter points out every guy she kissed died. (or some such. Whatever happened to Jack)
Top Gun wrote:
She's an invaluable crew member in that she's pretty much the only voice of active reason on the crew:
Yeah, Reiji was ok in Kageyama was on the good guys' side in Gatekeepers 21 after being the chief bad guy in Gatekeepers. Made killing all those people ok, right?

Top Gun wrote:
her arc is easily the highlight of the first hundred episodes.

...The first 100 eps?...I liked Dorry & Broggy. Buggy's always so much fun. Captain Kuro was an excellent villain & Jango was fun. Ace is ALWAYS great.

Top Gun wrote:
(Besides all that, she's pretty damn hot. Razz)

Speaking as a chick, I do not give a rat's rear if she's "hot" or not. I read yaoi to avoid annoying chicks. The Japanese have a fascination with bossy chicks which is not to be confused with liberated chicks. Robin is cool. I accept her as a fellow intelligent gal & not a harpy. She keeps her head in situations & remains pretty unflappable.

Quote:
First: I felt like I needed to skip every other episode,

So you dislike Supernatural, Buffy, Angel & other shows that employ a "Story so far" sort of intro?
Understand One Piece is aimed at a family audience. Children love repetition. They like being able to say the transformation chants or the catch phrases. Adults, for that matter, like them (Yipee Kaiyai yay Mother******. Did I do that?) & other memorable lines (Where we're going, we don't need roads).

Quote:
Third: As I recall, there was a huge fight (lasting god only knows how long) ... BUT then it was shown that everyone was better, so the villains could reappear at any time, meaning there was basically no difference between having seen the fight or not, because it didn't really matter.

Oda is adverse to killing for killing's sake ferom what I've heard. Look at it from a real world perspective. Society prefers to lock the baddies up rather than kill them, to try them & hopefully reform them, so why should all the pirates of One Piece not be jailed? As someone who works with convicted felons for a living, trust me, they aren't all rotten monsters. Too many get addicted to drugs & wind up doing things they normally wouldn't to feed that addiction. Or they lost their job & did things they wouldn't otherwise.
And not all pirates set out to be evil, rotten plunderers. Some were victims of circumstances. There's a long romantic history about people wearing the neame of criminal to do what was perceived as good.
Face it, the Founding Fathers of the United States were domestic terrorists. Same for the French Revolution in the takedown of nobility. The victors write the history.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
The Japanese have a fascination with bossy chicks which is not to be confused with liberated chicks. Robin is cool. I accept her as a fellow intelligent gal & not a harpy. She keeps her head in situations & remains pretty unflappable.

And Nami doesn't? I'm not sure how far along in One Piece you are, but there have been several instances where Nami has shown to keep her cool in very tough situations, or even to take care of herself when others may have just been rescued.

About intelligence... she is the only one of the crew with the ability to read the weather patterns and is the only one skilled at cartography and orientation, both making her an excellent navigator. Do you hold Robin's intelligence to be higher because it deals with history?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Yes, she loves money, and things like the crazy interest are a running gag (you'd think the other crew members would figure out at some point that it's better to go without than borrow from her), but "evil"?

Yep. She is an insult to the feminine gender.

Oh lord...

Quote:
Yeah, Elizabeth cared AFTER she kissed Jack Sparrow so she could chain him to the Pearl. Guilt was just eating her up. My daughter points out every guy she kissed died. (or some such. Whatever happened to Jack)

I don't really see how this comparison holds up at all, since Nami tries to protect her friends when they're in trouble...which is kind of the exact opposite thing that Elizabeth did there. I've never even heard of Gatekeepers 21, so I have no idea what you're referencing there.

Quote:
Top Gun wrote:
her arc is easily the highlight of the first hundred episodes.

...The first 100 eps?...I liked Dorry & Broggy. Buggy's always so much fun. Captain Kuro was an excellent villain & Jango was fun. Ace is ALWAYS great.

Yes, there were plenty of other fun moments, but in terms of sheer emotional impact, nothing came close to the climax of Nami's arc. spoiler[Nami sitting there in the road, stabbing herself in the arm, desperately tossing dust at Luffy to get him to leave, and then finally breaking down and begging him for help...Luffy wordlessly placing his treasured hat on her head...and then the fantastic march on Arlong Park.] Those scenes send chills down my spine every single time I see them, and they have that impact because we've seen the tragedies of Nami's past, and how much she sacrificed to try to help the people she loved. She has an amazingly strong character, certainly far more than you give her credit for.

Quote:
Speaking as a chick, I do not give a rat's rear if she's "hot" or not. I read yaoi to avoid annoying chicks. The Japanese have a fascination with bossy chicks which is not to be confused with liberated chicks.

So you read ridiculously-idealized fujoshi-wish-fulfillment versions of homosexual relationships, the majority of which fall into the obnoxious "uke/seme" dichotomy, yet you don't like "annoying" or "bossy" chicks, even if they actually are intelligent and level-headed as Megiddo noted. I'm sensing a fairly massive double-standard here.

erinfinnegan wrote:
My husband is fond of giving percentages of wasted time. "Skypia could've been 20% shorter," he said last week. Or "Alabasta could've been 30% shorter." There could definitely be a One Piece Kai...

I'm not really sure that there could, at least nowhere near the scale of an effort like DBZ Kai. From what I understand (since I've made it a point never to watch DBZ), most of the issues that Kai resolved had to do with individual scenes being dragged out to ridiculous extents, or the excising of big chunks of filler material. One Piece doesn't really have the latter, and the former isn't normally a big issue, unless you're counting the recap material. From what I've heard, the marathon feature on FUNi's DVD sets actually skips past a lot of the recaps along with the opening and ending themes, so that almost serves as a bit of a "Kai" in and of itself.

LaFreccia wrote:
First: I felt like I needed to skip every other episode, because the first third was a recap of the previous episode, the final third was going to be recapped in the next episode, and the middle third was too frequently a flashback to some event that happened 30 episodes ago. Maybe if I wasn't marathoning the show this would have been less of a problem.

While there are certain notable parts of the series that do have some ridiculously-long recaps at the beginning of an episode, they're mostly only a couple of minutes at the worst, and usually easily skippable due to their location before the episode title screen. There aren't many parts of the series that resort to needless lengthy flashbacks in the middle of an episode, either. In any case, I consider a bit of recap material to pad an episode to be a far better alternative than having to resort to a few dozen episodes of filler between canon arcs.

Quote:
Second: I was under the impression that Luffy was trying to become the King of Pirates, but he doesn't care enough about his goal to do anything other than wander about from random island to random island, having random adventures that seemingly have no impact on the overall plot. 1, 2, 5, 10? of these episodes along the way, might be acceptable, but 100s? I lost faith that there was a real attempt to follow through.

That wandering from island to island is part of becoming King of the Pirates...one has to traverse the entire Grand Line to find One Piece, and that means surviving the myriad dangers and obstacles along the way. In a greater sense, though, the structure of the series reflects what's probably its most important philosophy: the destination isn't nearly as important as what you do along the way and the friends you do it with. To Luffy, the freedom to sail from adventure to adventure with his loyal crew is the very definition of being a pirate, and that's truly what drives him. I think most long-term fans of the series have accepted the fact that there's no huge pile of gold waiting at the end of the Grand Line; there's a running gag along the lines of, "One Piece is really friendship!" Smile The journey itself becomes its own reward. That being said, though, there's also an overarching story of literally global proportions that's elaborated on more and more as the series progresses, and it's fairly clear that it will come to a head before everything's said and done.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
Regarding Luffy, his desire to become King of the Pirates, and the One-Piece itself:

There is a scene where Luffy and friends are talking to a particular old guy. This old guy knows about the One-Piece and can tell Luffy certain things about it; he offers to tell Luffy about it. Usopp starts saying how they'd like to hear what he has to say when Luffy stops Usopp and states very clearly: He *does NOT* want to be told about the One-Piece. He doesn't want to know what it is, or where it is, or even whether or not it really exists. He wants to find all that sort of stuff out on his own, and not be given it on a silver platter.

In fact, Luffy says that if he were to be told straight out like that, the adventure would lose its meaning and value, and that he would give up being a pirate. To Luffy, it's all about the adventure -- it's about the journey. Yes, the goal is important, because it validates the journey. But he wants to do it on his own.

A similar thing happens with Robin where the same guy says that they had read all the glyphs and know the lost history. He offers to tell her, but advises her to learn it on her own instead, as she will interpret it differently and maybe come up with a better solution than he did.

This sort of thoughtfulness is one of the things I really like about One Piece, and why I'm happy to follow it along even after so many episodes. A good story is worth the journey for me.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
It would be hilarious if someone else were able to claim the One Piece/Glyphes first because Luffy Robin didn't listen when hey should've.

Knowledge is power!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4