• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Profit Falls Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pearlslam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
Like i said before, I'm not against editing if it's for the purpose of censoring some violence or sexual content. I believe that's understandable, but I don't agree that all of the edits were made solely for the censorship of violence or nudity, but done for the purpose of americanizing which is what I'm mainly against. There's a difference, I'm not really against editing for violent or mature content so that it could meet the standards of Television, that's reasonable, but I don't feel that changing the Background music, shortening scenes, mirroring roads, eliminating Japanese text or skipping episodes in an attempt to make an entirely brand new show right. But to a certain extent i feel that Westernizing is okay but I believe it's possible to make minimal edits and still preserve the integrity of the show.

As for the comment about anime being for "adults only", that I was addressing folks who are insinuating that 4kids are only focusing on children's anime so we shouldn't worry or care. But I'm just saying that there are fans out there who aren't just fixated on "Mature" themes that we can enjoy anime such as Hikaru no Go or My Neighbor Totoro which is fit for "all ages". That's the issue I'm talking about, whether 4kids like to admit it or not, they are a anime company and as long as there are future acquisitions for them to acquire and screw up then anime fans will never shut up. (unless they start making some changes.)
You have no problems out of me, however, you do have to concede the point that there is a need out there to preserve the integrity of the origional show to the point that a better attempt needs to be made by ALL studios to preserve the intent of the program, or interfere as little as possible.

Case in point, Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie. Pressure on US Manga corps to release a true uncut version of the movie has forced them to release it uncut(howbeit with the UK master for english dialogue with the KMDFM soundtrack, witch I don't mind). I'm sure that a year from now that it will be one of the top sellers of 2006.

Now if all studios were to follow this example and do the same, then some studios, like 4Kids might actually MAKE money doing kid shows like OP.
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
Street Fighter II the animated movie is actually one of the reasons why I am so vehemently against editing for the purpose of Americanizing. Though SF2 doesn't really compare with today's standards but back then it was a big deal. I've seen the original Japanese version in 1994 and was extremely disappointed when I got hold of the English version because it felt like a different movie. I don't have anything against grunge music but to completely replace the soundtrack and re-orchestrate an entirely brand new one can really alter the vibe and change the mood of certain scenes. I just didn't think the new soundtrack was as effective as the original and a lot of pivotal moments were ruined.

The reason why I believe Manga Entertainment is finally releasing an uncut version of SF2 is because they realize the anime market is bigger and much more lucrative now compared to 10 years ago where it was standard and common practice to Localize anime. In 1994 companies thought only metal heads were into anime so they mainly tried to target a certain group. But anime is much more accepted today where it shouldn't become necessary to westernize anymore just in order for it to sell because the fanbase is larger and the audience is more diverse. It's okay to leave the Japanese music intact and it's ok to license different genres such as sports, romance, drama or shojo whereas a few years ago, those type of animes were scarce. Times are changing and kids today are born into this culture they didn't have to learn about it like most of us. I can't really blame Manga though, that's just how the business was run back then.

Another reason why I think Manga is releasing the Uncut version is because they're trying to milk the SF franchise and captialize off of recent SF releases. It's pretty obvious considering the Alpha Generations movie and the Street Fighter Alpha Anthology game was released around the same time, which BTW I thought the Alpha2 anime was wack. It wasn't even released in Japan, that OVA had no direct connection to any SF installments and I believe Manga funded the production. I don't like how Manga tries to link these series together and advertise them as sequels when SF2, SF2V, SFA and SFA2 clearly takes place in separate universes but hey, gotta make that skrilla. I aint complaining, I've been asking for a Uncut release of SF2 for the longest and they finally delivered.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
US Manga Corp. and Manga Entertainment are two different companies, FYI. And I don't even think the first one is around anymore.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Kahn's mentioning that 4Kids "has $113.5 mil in the bank" is a surprising one to me, given that the qurterly report painted a not so rosy picture. I wonder what compelled him to say that?

To me, I think that Kahn is just saying that just to cover up something. Maybe because of the fact that One Piece has screwed up 4Kids plans and now he's been taken to task on the matter. Personally, from an investor standpoint, when your "investment" is saying about his cash reserves, somethings up, or their not willing to admit a mistake.

That being said, I'm gonna repeat what I said in a previous 4Kids Quarterly thread, with a few extras:

Since 4Kids made 4Sight, I think using 4Sight would be a good way for 4Kids to finally reboot their "failed" Uncut Anime DVD project that got halted last year. With the fanbase of One Piece of Crap made by 4kids..... still high, I think it would be in the best interest to reboot the uncut Anime DVD program with One Piece. Viz already has proven that you can harmoniously have both a TV edit and the Uncut DVDs on the market at the same time.

In addition, use 4Sight to target the older Adult market with extra merchendise from these shows.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Kahn's mentioning that 4Kids "has $113.5 mil in the bank" is a surprising one to me, given that the qurterly report painted a not so rosy picture. I wonder what compelled him to say that?
I can see someone saying that.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
To me, I think that Kahn is just saying that just to cover up something. Maybe because of the fact that One Piece has screwed up 4Kids plans and now he's been taken to task on the matter. Personally, from an investor standpoint, when your "investment" is saying about his cash reserves, somethings up, or their not willing to admit a mistake.
Not so, I think it is something that should be pointed out, especially since the company is taking a different direction. Please refer to my comment on page six. I am not advocating 4kids, but too many people read business terms wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Manga couldn't release the Japanese version of SF 2 until now, because Sony was holding on to the music rights.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I can see someone saying that.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Not so, I think it is something that should be pointed out, especially since the company is taking a different direction. Please refer to my comment on page six. I am not advocating 4kids, but too many people read business terms wrong.

Understand i'm looking at this from an investor standpoint.
pearlslam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Viz already has proven that you can harmoniously have both a TV edit and the Uncut DVDs on the market at the same time.

In addition, use 4Sight to target the older Adult market with extra merchendise from these shows.
Get your facts straight. Funimation proved that it was possible with DBZ. Now granted that even its uncut version has just as many edits as the TV version, but it showed that there is a market out there for uncut anime and Funimation ever since had two versions of a show released on DVD when and if networks decide to air anime(most recent achievement in my recent memory is YYH).
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Manga couldn't release the Japanese version of SF 2 until now, because Sony was holding on to the music rights.

Sony Music Entertainment of Japan was actually in charge of the Japanese soundtrack where Sony Music of USA were in charge of the American soundtrack which is why we noticed a lot of Sony artists such as Korn and Alice in chains in there. Though the Japanese version had more of a Jpop score. I still think Manga and Sony was capable of releasing the Japanese version, when I asked Manga Entertainment about the situation they never mention any conflicts with the music license but indicate more they were trying to "Spice" it up which is also the case why Manga decided to replace the original Street Fighter II Victory OP/ED themes in 1995, I believe more then anything they were more trying to appeal to an American audience when back in the days "Jpop" was considered too "soft" for manga. But the Sony situation could be the reason why they weren't capable of releasing it uncut after 12 years, but I'm still against them changing the soundtrack and shortening scenes in the first place.

Last edited by ponlork on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Which if you have some extra cash you can gamble, and don't mind taking a little risk, it is a buy in my book.

Of course no more than a hundred shares, until the next report, which I predict will be better.

Of course all my money is in Malaysia for the next six months, and I have no reason to move it([removed]k).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
pearlslam wrote:
Get your facts straight. Funimation proved that it was possible with DBZ. Now granted that even its uncut version has just as many edits as the TV version, but it showed that there is a market out there for uncut anime and Funimation ever since had two versions of a show released on DVD when and if networks decide to air anime(most recent achievement in my recent memory is YYH).

I used a recent example sunshine. Quit being so hyperractive fooly-cooly.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I love anime message boards.

4Kids = 10 page flamewars
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Which if you have some extra cash you can gamble, and don't mind taking a little risk, it is a buy in my book.

Of course no more than a hundred shares, until the next report, which I predict will be better.

Of course all my money is in Malaysia for the next six months, and I have no reason to move it([removed]k).

Past history would make me say "nyo."

However, if the opportunity arises, 4Kids would make a very good hostile takeover by someone. Just need the scratch for it thought.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
You would wait till they get even lower, I like that. Smile
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:07 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
You would wait till they get even lower, I like that. Smile

I could barely get 1% if I tried.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10