• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Pumpkin Carving Contest [2013-10-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I've contacted our web developer; he'll look into it. Strangely enough, it is working for me.
LlamaMaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I've contacted our web developer; he'll look into it. Strangely enough, it is working for me.

Is there any chance you guys could reset the results after you fix the issue? At this point I'm sure certain entries are unfairly inflated or deflated because people were forced to choose between one or the other. That may be fine when one pumpkin is clearly better than the one it's being compared to, but when it boils down to the good ones the results would start getting sketchy as hell. Not to mention all the not-so-great pumpkins that would get bumped up the list and (possibly) get mixed in with the good ones.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
If you're experience problems, can you please respond with what browser (and version) you're using, and what operating system?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
LlamaMaster wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Is there any chance you guys could reset the results after you fix the issue? At this point I'm sure certain entries are unfairly inflated or deflated because people were forced to choose between one or the other. That may be fine when one pumpkin is clearly better than the one it's being compared to, but when it boils down to the good ones the results would start getting sketchy as hell. Not to mention all the not-so-great pumpkins that would get bumped up the list and (possibly) get mixed in with the good ones.

I'm not sure I follow. If you have two really good pumpkins, one can still be "better" than the other. Similarly, it doesn't matter if you are asked to vote between two "meh" pumpkins, because when Meh #1 pumpkin goes up against Awesome Pumpkin, the Awesome Pumpkin still wins.

That's the nature of brackets. It doesn't matter if a #1 and #2 seeded sports team plays against each other, or a #1 and #8 seed play against each other. Whoever wins is still the better team.

Only in this case, statistically, it's more like #8 keeps winning against #6 and #7, perhaps, but it'll always lose to #1, so #1 is still #1, regardless of how many times #8 wins.

Meh Pumpkin can get 100 votes, but if it loses to Awesome Pumpkin every single time it's matched up against Awesome Pumpkin, it'll still lose.
LlamaMaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you are right, that makes sense. I was just getting needlessly panicky and not thinking logically there.
Pleinair

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
If you're experience problems, can you please respond with what browser (and version) you're using, and what operating system?

Firefox 25.0 I believe and Windows 7.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I can also confirm that the broken button is also present on both AOL 9.7 with Windows XP, as well as the Wii U's Internet Browser.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I found a bug with the "I can't decide" button and fixed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fastandman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
google chrome Version 30.0.1599.101 m for windows 7 sp1
fastandman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
how can we ensure there wont be any cheating? it is easy to vote against a pumpkin so that others can win?
Pleinair

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm going to try and continue/finish voting, but the button is still broken for me in Firefox, as well as when I open it in Chrome, so yeah.
Not a fan of this system...lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
thebluehammer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many emails accounts it takes to bump yourself up from 6th to 4th?...
pinkbunny1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Let's lighten up, its just a pumpkin contest. I feel like mommy & daddy are fighting at the table--awkward. o_O

Oh hey...How do you mend a broken jack-o-lantern?

...With a pumpkin patch!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Is the top 5 your own top 5 or the top 5 voted by everyone so far?
fastandman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Is the top 5 your own top 5 or the top 5 voted by everyone so far?

idk, when i was voting, the #1 pumpkin that i selected in my votes wasn't the the same one that it showed me has my top 5
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4