• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Skin Editor Help

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Since I don't have much knowledge in HTML, I'm guess working. Anyway for the Colors in Menus: The background and links only have nubmers. Do these numbers represent the colors? If I want to type in a specific color like white? How do I type it in?
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Yep! Here's a basic chart to get ya started. (Why does that remind me of picking paint colors?) If you want more variety, try here.

-Jonathan

Last edited by jmays on Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:38 pm Reply with quote
im new with HTML and not very good at it, but yeah, the numbers and letter represent the colors, like white would be represented by FFFFFF and black would be represented by 000000 but you I think you can also just use the name of the color you want too... though I'm not really sure how
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Now here's another question. How do I change the color to these specific backgrounds like for example animenewsnetwork.com/skin/16/bg_rightmenu_top.gif The side columns with all the content
Also how do you get the Anime News Network logo to match your background color?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
im new with HTML and not very good at it, but yeah, the numbers and letter represent the colors, like white would be represented by FFFFFF and black would be represented by 000000 but you I think you can also just use the name of the color you want too... though I'm not really sure how

In the link Miagi gave, you can see the names of the colors. You use those names just like you would a hexadecimal code: COLOR="red" is equivalent to COLOR="#FF0000". Those named colors are "web-safe", i.e. the colors that you could be sure would be displayed correctly back in the days of 256-color screens. But nowadays there's no reason not to use hexadecimal values. For example, the standard ANN blue is #2D50A7 (2D for red, 50 for green and A7 for blue).

If you want to use a background image instead of a color, you have to use BACKGROUND="image.ext". In the case of the skins, you upload a new image and then you use, for example, BACKGROUND="{IMG_DIRECTORY}/bg_rightmenu_top.gif".

And if you want the ANN logo to match the color of the background, you have to upload a new logo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this has been stated, but I'm not finding the contest page for it really helpful...

Do we have to use the ANN mascot, or can we use an anime character(s)?

If we have to use here, is there anywhere were I can get nice, HQ versions of the mascot?

Also, I don't seem to understand the skin editor you have posted. ... Can I download the base skins from somewhere to edit? *like it all together in a zip file*. I'm used to editing MB skins, but am confused with how to go about with these.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. I see how it works now the editor works now, but I still am intrested in knowing if there's any way I can edit the actual graphics, for example, the logo.
Keiichi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I have some questions also. In the skin editor page, what happens after you press "Add Skin"? Will we be able to preview the skin? Will we be able to re-edit the skin after clicking that?
No matter how good someone is with html, I don't think they can't work in that skin editor and with one shot and get it to look exaclty how they want it, even if they have the layout pages created on their own computer.

the main skin editor page, there are a few stuff like content, menus, approved. I'm assuming that if I submit a skin, someone from ANN would look at it before allowing people to actually use it. I'm just guessing. None of it is mentioned anywhere.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I know, there's no explanations anywhere. I really suck at documenting stuff Embarassed

Quote:
I have some questions also. In the skin editor page, what happens after you press "Add Skin"? Will we be able to preview the skin? Will we be able to re-edit the skin after clicking that?
Of course, after you press "add skin" you are allowed to edit the skin again. It would be impossible to do anything otherwise. Once you've added it, you'll be able to preview the skin in your browser to see how it looks. And when the final version is ready, you submit it for approval. I *hoped* the interface would be self-explanatory, but I guess that's impossible for somthing as complex as skins.

Quote:
Do we have to use the ANN mascot, or can we use an anime character(s)?

If we have to use here, is there anywhere were I can get nice, HQ versions of the mascot?

No, you don't really have to use the mascot but it would be appreciated. I mean... it *is* the mascot after all, where are we going to put poor Jad otherwise Anime smile Lemme see if I can dig up some pics...
- normal vs. super-deformed
- with a sword (used in new logo)
- super-deformed x 4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:10 pm Reply with quote
would I have to upload the new logo I creat to my own server?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:26 pm Reply with quote
no, in the skin editor there's an "Images" link where you can upload images.
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:53 am Reply with quote
Can we use our own pics of Jadress? I think I still have mine from the last contest.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:04 am Reply with quote
Sure, anything goes. But... wasn't that a Christmas logo?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:20 am Reply with quote
:cry: My skin got approved, but the logo isn't working properly. Can someone fix it?
Bilbo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:57 am Reply with quote
My only problem with the skin editor is that it doesn't give me the flexibility that I'd like to have.

For example, I can't (or at least I don't think I can) change the color of links to the encyclopedia on the main page. Maybe I overlooked something, but I thought I was pretty thorough.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Bilbo wrote:
My only problem with the skin editor is that it doesn't give me the flexibility that I'd like to have.

For example, I can't (or at least I don't think I can) change the color of links to the encyclopedia on the main page. Maybe I overlooked something, but I thought I was pretty thorough.

In the skin stylesheet, I've added tags for the encyc links as well as the general font. I hope this gives you all the flexibility you wanted. BTW, you've got a really nice skin there. I'm going to wait until you change the encyc link color before I accept it. (that's what you wanted right?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2