• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Green Green DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
I've heard someone gets raped by a monkey in this series.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
I looked at this thread without looking at the review (just saw it in the forums) and when I saw that comment, I thought, "What a perfect way to start off a thread"... lol.

I was thinking about getting this though, I've heard people never thought it would get licensed in the US because of its huge amount of cultural references and influence on the series... don't know if this had to do with it's unfavorable review though. I may still end up watching it though...
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Anime Works farmed the ADR production out to Arventil Media Productions, whose lack of experience on major projects (they’ve only done a handful of titles, mostly short and obscure OVAs) really shows. It also doesn’t help that most of their vocal talent consists of complete or relative newcomers.

Yeah, looking at that cast list, to me it reads more like an equivalent to a low-class minor-league baseball team: very raw on talent and skills, with many of their players having little to no chance to making it to the major league. I couldn't recognize any of these actors save for Bryce Papenbrook, and the only reason why I recognize that name is because he's the son of the late Bob Papenbrook. He's probably the only one of the group that has the potential to become a very successful VA, and that's due to his pedigree.

I might end up renting it someday, but a lot of people said that Green Green is pretty bad, and this review most likely confirmed it.
xgemina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've heard someone gets raped by a monkey in this series.

nope, not a monkey Shocked

spoiler[one of the guys has some intimate relations with a bear later on and not by choice.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I got through about 1/3 of the opening before I gave up. And that was the fansub. It looks like I didn't miss much.

If I'm desperate for a fanservice series, maybe I'll pick up a boxset someday since MediaBlaster's sets tend to be pretty cheap. At Best Buy, their Shrine of the Morning Mist set was a dollar cheaper than the individual volume next to it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While the Japanese dub does a pretty good job of enlivening its characters, the English dub is awful [....] Pronunciations of some character names (especially Yusuke and Sanae) are gratingly bad, performances are off the mark or just leaden, and voices often aren’t good matches for the characters.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets miffed at bad name pronunciations...most of the time when I mention that the English dub for Series Q has bad name pronunciations, people will say, "Aww, give them a break, the VAs aren't Japanese, they shouldn't be expected to pronounce Japanese names, and Japanese VAs mess up English words and names all the time" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes No, it's not that hard to get them right, although upon a quick check of the episode, the silver lining is that the names aren't said as badly as they could have been. It's also the fault of the ADR director for not knowing how they should sound.
Ah, I guess these kinds of series are inevitable and good to kill time with once in awhile; I imagine I could probably watch Green Green and wind up enjoying it in the way I did Girls Bravo, though I'll have to make sure to stick to the Japanese audio.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Yeah, looking at that cast list, to me it reads more like an equivalent to a low-class minor-league baseball team: very raw on talent and skills, with many of their players having little to no chance to making it to the major league. I couldn't recognize any of these actors save for Bryce Papenbrook, and the only reason why I recognize that name is because he's the son of the late Bob Papenbrook. He's probably the only one of the group that has the potential to become a very successful VA, and that's due to his pedigree.

The other potentially recognizable name is Sandy Fox, who voices Sanae. She's rarely a lead but has done a lot of prominent supporting roles involving cutesy voices, such as Sumomo from Chobits, Mireille in .hack//Legend of the Twilight, and Marie in the Please Teacher!/Twins! titles. Hers is one of the rare consistently competent performances.

And xgemina: that's heavily implied to happen in the first volume, actually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lazuline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
holy ____ ! they licensed this garbage?

other than the catchy opening, this series has no merit. Even the fanservice is weak (since it's more revolting than "hot").
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:

other than the catchy opening, this series has no merit. Even the fanservice is weak (since it's more revolting than "hot").

The girls on the cover don't even look hot. Usually girls in fanservice anime tend to be hot but not them. I've truthfully never seen Green Green either but judging from some of the posts I'm not missing much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lhernan02

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
OK, I now grudgingly have to defend this series.

It is what it is, and for what it is, its good.

Its the anime version of "Porky's" and as that, it is quite good. The female characters are realistic (no deformed boob-women in this one - notice I am only talking about the bodies here, character wise they are strictly one dimensional), the plot (what little there is) is stomachable, the humor is mostly funny (though sometimes the sexual humor is more disturbing than funny), and the fanservice is nudity-centric as opposed to panty-centric (a plus from a western point of view).

Now, would I recommend spending your hard-earned money on this gem - NO! But if you have some throw-away money lying around and want to turn off your brain and enjoy some harmless (well, not that harmless) fun - WHY NOT!

spoiler[On the rape issue, the fat guy is obviously (though luckily not graphically) raped by a bear. The other time traveling girl (not Midori) is accosted by the three monkeys and they take off her underwear, but it is uncertain if they just grope her or actually rape her. Like I said, some of the sexual "humor" is not that funny.]

PS: I am quite disgusted with myself that I remember so much about this series considering how long ago I saw the fansub.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The other potentially recognizable name is Sandy Fox, who voices Sanae. She's rarely a lead but has done a lot of prominent supporting roles involving cutesy voices, such as Sumomo from Chobits, Mireille in .hack//Legend of the Twilight, and Marie in the Please Teacher!/Twins! titles. Hers is one of the rare consistently competent performances.

Oh, that's right. She also played Risky in AN Entertainment's Risky/Safety and the Tachikomas in Ghost in the Shell, a couple of shows that I like. She was also on Heat Guy J opposite Bryce's father Bob. Don't know how I missed that one. Anime smile + sweatdrop
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Arvintel (misspelled "Arventil" in the article, which sounds enough like lentil to be delicious!) is the only dubbing studio I know of that's based in Atlanta. MB usually only gives them hentai -- and they do a LOT of MB's hentai. They've been doing anime dubs for almost a decade... just, nothing people would put their real names on.

I can only guess they must work REAL cheap.
Hajime06

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
I watched the show on fansub a while back (Mainly because I did not think it would be licensed, but that is a seperate issue), and I did not laugh but maybe once through the whole series. A lot of the sexual humor is too crude and simply horrible. Everything done in Green Green has been done before and done significantly better (Much like the reviewer stated), and I would not recommend this to anyone unless their humor is very sophomoric and perverse.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:59 am Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:

I agree I thought this series was horrible too and the comedy falls flat. If you want a good straight forward fanservice comedy go with Girls Bravo which is far better then this anime.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Arvintel (misspelled "Arventil" in the article, which sounds enough like lentil to be delicious!) is the only dubbing studio I know of that's based in Atlanta. MB usually only gives them hentai -- and they do a LOT of MB's hentai. They've been doing anime dubs for almost a decade... just, nothing people would put their real names on.

I can only guess they must work REAL cheap.

That would make sense as to why MB used them for the dub. Isn't Green Green based on a hentai dating game?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2