• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - August 19th - August 25th

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
'Doh! >< I can't believe I missed the last episode of IGPX...this is seriously the 3rd-4th episode I've missed since it's newer timeslot. Did it really not do so well in ratings to get a Toonami ORIGINAL pushed on a late night NON-TOONAMI timeslot? CN better show it again...

And Eureka 7 deserves much better...sure, it's only at midnight in my zone, but still....I want to get to sleep...*crosses fingers that it's a mistake in scheduling again*

(Wonderful first post, eh? Confused )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Eureka 7 is back! And on a... much worse timeslot. In other words; don't count on the latter 26 episodes ever airing, folks. Adult Swim seems to be done with it.

Are we sure this isn't so a) the DVDs can catch up, b) make room for the two new shows in 2 weeks and c) let it run through repeats once and then when Trinity Blood is over or Bleach is on its rest, put it back on? If [AS] wanted to murder it on the spot, they would have put it in the death slot to begin with. The recap eps are in there anyway.

Edit: Wait, why would anything adult swim does make logical sense...
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
Well, here's hoping that Eureka 7 fairs better here. While Case Closed is still being played late, it could be much worse: the really late (I'm talking 3am) Dragonball GT and One Piece timeslot.

Just curious, but why isn't DBGT included on the list of reruns?
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
I highly doubt that I'll watch Shin-Chan. I saw a preview for it, and no... Just no. I've heard some people say it's funny, but it to be honest, I think it looks horrible. I guess I won't really don't much unless I watch it, but I still don't think I will. Neutral

I found out about Eureka 7's timeslot yesterday. It doesn't really matter to me what time it comes on since I stay up pretty much all night on the weekends. But will they really not show all the episodes? That's terrible! Why start a series and not finish it? It's only 50 episodes, so it's not like Case Closed which is very long. Why can't they show all of the series? Well, I guess I shouldn't panic because we don't know that for sure just yet. I'm still worried about it though. I don't want to have to collect the DVDs. If I'm going to buy a series on DVD, I prefer to own the entire series. And I don't think I have enough money and room for every single DVD if I want to buy other things. I don't really want to wait for a box set either. I guess I'll have to buy them if Adult Swim doesn't air the entire series though. I think I'm just ranting now, I'm sorry. Sometimes I rant when I'm in a bad mood like this. Mad
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
Uh...where exactly did you get this idea that they're not showing the second half of the series?

Because it's going on hiatus after episode 26?

They do this with ALL shows they get of this length. Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, most certainly Bleach. Hell, they even cut off Samurai Champloo halfway last year. Given how new the series is, the dub isn't likely finished production anyway.

This is par for the course for Adult Swim. Eureka will be back with 27-50 in 2007, so quit the alarmist schtick.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:41 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
'Doh! >< I can't believe I missed the last episode of IGPX...this is seriously the 3rd-4th episode I've missed since it's newer timeslot. Did it really not do so well in ratings to get a Toonami ORIGINAL pushed on a late night NON-TOONAMI timeslot? CN better show it again...

And Eureka 7 deserves much better...sure, it's only at midnight in my zone, but still....I want to get to sleep...*crosses fingers that it's a mistake in scheduling again*

I think the words "bastard" and "damn" also had something to do with it's new time-slot.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Uh...where exactly did you get this idea that they're not showing the second half of the series?

They do this with ALL shows they get of this length. Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, most certainly Bleach. Hell, they even cut off Samurai Champloo halfway last year. Given how new the series is, the dub isn't likely finished production anyway.

This is par for the course for Adult Swim. Eureka will be back with 27-50 in 2007, so quit the alarmist schtick.

I wouldn't be so wary if I didn't remember what happened to Case Closed or Lupin III. No new episodes on Adult Swim for either of those. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:04 am Reply with quote
Oban Star Racers is very good, I thought it was good enough at first but it's actually very touching and interesting with great acting and music (by Taku Iwasaki!!!) for a children's show. The only complaint I have is they took away the great Yoko Kanno Japanese and French opening but that was expected, plus the english song isn't bad at all. I'm surprised they left the original ending by Yoko Kanno though.

Last edited by chrisb on Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:54 am; edited 2 times in total
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:

I think the words "bastard" and "damn" also had something to do with it's new time-slot.

Actually I read something official that it did do badly in the ratings. Besides for 10:30 on Saturday it was pretty much a transition into Adult Swim so the curse words weren't that bad for the time. It's a shame because it was a good series. The last episode was very lackluster but the next episode looks great.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
Oh, how I hate Adult Swim. (Eureka 7 + Inuyasha + Bleach -- they did something cruel and evil to all of these)

As a side note, what is Crayon Shin-chan in Japan? A kids' show?
Is this like what happened over here with Super Milk-chan? Actually, what did over here with Super Milk-chan?

I won't be able to watch Crayon Shin-chan until Monday because I'm on vacation and don't have Cartoon Network, but whatever. They should show episodes 1 - 4 all next week, Monday through Thursday, then finish up with 5 - 6 Monday and Tuesday the week after, like they originally scheduled (unless it is still scheduled like this).

What do they think we all have? Attention spans of ADD four-year olds?
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Oh, how I hate Adult Swim. (Eureka 7 + Inuyasha + Bleach -- they did something cruel and evil to all of these)
Bleach hasn't even aired yet... and what evil did they do? They haven't even done anything yet.

Quote:

As a side note, what is Crayon Shin-chan in Japan? A kids' show?

It is a kids show with lots of toilet humor, perverted jokes and other stuff. In other words, it would never fly as a kids show in this country.

Quote:

Is this like what happened over here with Super Milk-chan? Actually, what did over here with Super Milk-chan?

ADV(iirc) created two dubs, a true dub and a fixed to our culture dub. One of these was truely awesomely funny according to all reports. The other was just crap. Guess which one AdultSwim chose to air... Yep, the crap one.

Quote:
They should show episodes 1 - 4 all next week, Monday through Thursday, then finish up with 5 - 6 Monday and Tuesday the week after, like they originally scheduled (unless it is still scheduled like this).
That is what the schedule says they are still doing. 1-4 next week, then 5,6,1,2 the following week. In addition, they are showing episodes 3,4,5,and 6 on Saturdays starting tomorrow. This is why 3 has the weird premiere before episode 1 and 2.

rocklobster wrote:
I wouldn't be so wary if I didn't remember what happened to Case Closed or Lupin III. No new episodes on Adult Swim for either of those. Sad
AdultSwim ordered 51 episodes of Case Closed and they aired all 51 and the ratings weren't good enough to order more (so says Funimation). The impression I've gotten from Bandai is that the entire Eureka 7 project was ordered when it was made.
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Actually I read something official that it did do badly in the ratings.

I had heard something similar as well but it was more to the effect that anime ratings in general were faltering on CN. It's not hard to fathom when the likes of Pee Wee's Playhouse and Tom Goes to the Mayor get better slots.

Sure, I may very well stay up late enough to catch some of the anime shows that I'm actually interested in but when I tune in early and land on a rubbish show I usually channel surf and get engaged with another show for the evening. In that regard their unfortunate timeslots may actually be doubly damning. For some reason they seem to be very wary of putting new shows into decent timeslots. This is so reminescent of Trek-era self-fulfilling prophecy.

They seem to have two divergent goals: 1) To cater to "hip young crowd" with campy off-the-wall humor and zany over-the-top absurdity. 2) To be a real anime presence on TV. Unfortunately both goals will always conflict and, unless they do something really crazy like create a dedicated anime channel, neither goal will come to fruition.

They have a fantastic anime lineup but, as with Eureka 7, they seem to be squandering that potential with really crummy scheduling.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
Tsunami3k wrote:
chrisb wrote:
Actually I read something official that it did do badly in the ratings.

I had heard something similar as well but it was more to the effect that anime ratings in general were faltering on CN. It's not hard to fathom when the likes of Pee Wee's Playhouse and Tom Goes to the Mayor get better slots.

Sure, I may very well stay up late enough to catch some of the anime shows that I'm actually interested in but when I tune in early and land on a rubbish show I usually channel surf and get engaged with another show for the evening. In that regard their unfortunate timeslots may actually be doubly damning. For some reason they seem to be very wary of putting new shows into decent timeslots. This is so reminescent of Trek-era self-fulfilling prophecy.

They seem to have two divergent goals: 1) To cater to "hip young crowd" with campy off-the-wall humor and zany over-the-top absurdity. 2) To be a real anime presence on TV. Unfortunately both goals will always conflict and, unless they do something really crazy like create a dedicated anime channel, neither goal will come to fruition.

They have a fantastic anime lineup but, as with Eureka 7, they seem to be squandering that potential with really crummy scheduling.

Well said.

However, you forget the near complete lack of advertising for any of their anime shows.

How often do you see any ads on CN for anything anime? Maybe I'm not watching enough, but the only ones I ever saw were for FMA and Champloo

I've seen comercials for Tom Goes to the Mayor so many times my eyes are bleeding but if I wasn't already watching, I wouldn't even be aware of Eureka 7's existence.

On a side note, what the heck is Tom supposed to be anyway? It looks like someone's idea of a joke not a real show.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:

Because its been moved to a worse timeslot. A hiatus is speculation at this point and has nothing do with the comment that the second half probably won't air. But moving something to a worse timeslot is a bad sign as it is usually done because a show is getting poor ratings. And if a show is getting poor ratings, they probably won't be obtaining more of it.

I have an idea for Cartoon Network/Adult Swim that may help their shows:

Advertising (outside of anime magazines). Like commercials on their channel. It's a crazy idea, I know, but it just might help people actually know about their shows they are airing. The only series I've seen commercials for on AS, that I can remember, is Ghost in the Shell.

Here is another crazy idea: Stop putting crap like PeeWee's Playhouse and Saved by the Bell in better timeslots than the anime. Better yet, don't put that crap on their at all.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Darn it, I missed IGPX last night(imagine not being at home at midnight Friday Confused ). Which proably means I will never see that episode, as they never re-ran the first season, they probably won't re-run this one.

As for E7, if they stop running that show I will lose all respect for [as](the little I have left).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3