• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - August 19th - August 25th

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
MetatronM wrote:
Uh...where exactly did you get this idea that they're not showing the second half of the series?

Because it's going on hiatus after episode 26?

Because its been moved to a worse timeslot. A hiatus is speculation at this point and has nothing do with the comment that the second half probably won't air. But moving something to a worse timeslot is a bad sign as it is usually done because a show is getting poor ratings. And if a show is getting poor ratings, they probably won't be obtaining more of it.
1) Eureka's ratings have been solid. Not consistent or spectacular, but solid, with several weeks where it ranked #1 on Saturday nights and very frequent appearances in the top 3. You know they actually show their ratings on the air every week, so it's not like you have to guess how well the show is doing, right?

2) The hiatus is NOT speculation. Adult Swim's schedule is released all the way through to January 2007, and Eureka goes on break after October 21, following episode 26 (the season 2 finale and end of the first half of the series), and then it begins repeats. The details of these schedules are always subject to change (and they do, virtually weekly), but the fact that Eureka will go on break after 26 is not. This has been known for a LONG time.

3) What does the timeslot have ANYTHING to do with whether they'll air the rest of the series or not? They were going to push Eureka to 1:30 am earlier in the summer and then changed their minds. This time change is being done to accomodate a second comedy show on the Saturday block to boost the night's ratings in general (first Shin-chan for the next few weeks and then a half hour block of Robot Chicken/Metalocalypse in September) and to make room for Trinity Blood and Bleach, which are both joining in a couple weeks. Hell, Bleach is gonna be airing only a half hour earlier than Eureka. They must be giving up on that already to push it so far back. Rolling Eyes

4) (responding to another post) The cases of Lupin and Case Closed both have NOTHING to do with Eureka's case. Adult Swim only bought the rights to a limited number of each of those series in the first place, and then did not buy more because of ratings. Adult Swim has already bought the rights to ALL episodes of Eureka seveN. Even if they never stated outright that they own the whole series (which they have), their Eureka show page includes episode synopses beyond the episodes that are currently slated to run in this initial block, which is exactly what happened in Fullmetal Alchemist's case too (and Inuyasha for that matter, though Adult Swim's broadcast of Inuyasha has now past their posted episode descriptions).

Jeez. They make one scheduling move you guys don't like and you all act like the friggin' sky is falling.

To repeat and sum up:

Moving back an hour is for a variety of scheduling reasons, most of which have little to do with Eureka's own ratings but rather with the whole block's ratings.

Eureka IS confirmed to be going on break after 26.

Eureka will go into repeats the week after episode 26, taking over FLCL's spot on the Saturday block (yes, FLCL is getting another run starting in September).

Eureka will return with 27-50 at some as-of-yet undisclosed time in the first half of 2007.
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Cool Pokemon Chronicles marathon I'll be watching. I'm also looking forward to Naruto. Rock Lee vs. Gaara one of my favorite fights in the show.
Break

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Man moving Eureka 7 back just makes me angry. I was waiting 2 weeks for them to bring it back. They really do need to advertise anime more though I mean its not like showing commercials during Family Guy is going to ruin it's ratings.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Oh, how I hate Adult Swim. (Eureka 7 + Inuyasha + Bleach -- they did something cruel and evil to all of these)
Bleach hasn't even aired yet... and what evil did they do? They haven't even done anything yet.

Bleach has been moved from 11:30 PM to 12:30 AM.

Edit: Removed a [/quote] tag that was uncessary.
Edit 2: Added this edit list. ^^
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Well, here's hoping that Eureka 7 fairs better here. While Case Closed is still being played late, it could be much worse: the really late (I'm talking 3am) Dragonball GT and One Piece timeslot.

Just curious, but why isn't DBGT included on the list of reruns?
E7 has been confirmed for the 9:30 E/P timeslot here in Canada, followed by FMA, Bleach and the CanCon death hour.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Stop putting crap like PeeWee's Playhouse and Saved by the Bell in better timeslots than the anime. Better yet, don't put that crap on their at all.

Hey, don't bash Pee-Wee. That show is there purely for nostalgia value (and for drunk college students). It's much better than some crap like Tom Goes to the Mayor.

Josh7289 wrote:
Bleach has been moved from 11:30 PM to 12:30 AM.

Where did you get this info?

Also, Bleach was never set to air at 11:30, it was going to premiere at midnight.

Oh, and moving a show back a half hour is no big deal. I don't see how it's "cruel and evil." It's not like it's airing in the death slot 1-1:30am).
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Darn it, I missed IGPX last night(imagine not being at home at midnight Friday Confused ). Which proably means I will never see that episode, as they never re-ran the first season, they probably won't re-run this one.

As for E7, if they stop running that show I will lose all respect for [as](the little I have left).

Well, bandai is relesing IGPX on DVD if that's of any interest.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Also, Bleach was never set to air at 11:30, it was going to premiere at midnight.

Oh, and moving a show back a half hour is no big deal. I don't see how it's "cruel and evil." It's not like it's airing in the death slot 1-1:30am).
The previous schedule called for Bleach to air at 11:30 and the at-the-time unnamed "mystery show" (Trinity Blood) to air at 12, followed by Eureka at 12:30.

They've more recently decided to switch to an hour of comedy to start the block, though (to attempt to boost the night's overall ratings), and they're keeping Trinity Blood where they originally planned it and pushed Bleach back to 12:30, followed by Eureka at 1.

And the 1:00 hour really hasn't been a "death slot" on Saturdays. That hour has frequently been appearing in the top 3 ratings, as recently as just a couple weeks ago when the 1:00 FLCL episode took third place. Saturday's ratings are pretty volatile overall, and on any given week, you might see any of the six first run half-hour blocks appear in the top 3 of the ratings.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
And the 1:00 hour really hasn't been a "death slot" on Saturdays. That hour has frequently been appearing in the top 3 ratings, as recently as just a couple weeks ago when the 1:00 FLCL episode took third place. Saturday's ratings are pretty volatile overall, and on any given week, you might see any of the six first run half-hour blocks appear in the top 3 of the ratings.

Though AdultSwim acts like Shounen Jump in that shows that have the weaker ratings are the ones that fall toward the back. This is especially true once it enters the 1:30am slot: the death slot.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
MetatronM wrote:

Though AdultSwim acts like Shounen Jump in that shows that have the weaker ratings are the ones that fall toward the back. This is especially true once it enters the 1:30am slot: the death slot.
Is that why Inuyasha, which was coming in with high ratings quite frequently on Saturday nights (including multiple weeks at #1), got moved from 11 to 1:30 to bring Futurama back?

Or how Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GIG was pulling in the highest ratings of any of the weeknight anime shows, so they pulled it off the block altogether randomly and are set to start it over again from episode 1 at 1:30 in a few weeks?

The fact is that Adult Swim really doesn't work that way at all. Or at least they don't right now, even though it would probably be fair to say they acted that way in the past. Lately they seem to be taking an approach where higher rated stuff has been getting pushed farther to the back of the lineups, at least for anime, presumably as part of a test to get people to watch more of the block by forcing them to stay up later to watch the shows they've already been watching in decent numbers.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
RezSav wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
'Doh! >< I can't believe I missed the last episode of IGPX...this is seriously the 3rd-4th episode I've missed since it's newer timeslot. Did it really not do so well in ratings to get a Toonami ORIGINAL pushed on a late night NON-TOONAMI timeslot? CN better show it again...

And Eureka 7 deserves much better...sure, it's only at midnight in my zone, but still....I want to get to sleep...*crosses fingers that it's a mistake in scheduling again*

(Wonderful first post, eh? Confused )

I think the words "bastard" and "damn" also had something to do with it's new time-slot.

Actually I read something official that it did do badly in the ratings. Besides for 10:30 on Saturday it was pretty much a transition into Adult Swim so the curse words weren't that bad for the time. It's a shame because it was a good series. The last episode was very lackluster but the next episode looks great.

Care to link to it? I'm sorry but I think that official word is as fictional as this Shinichiro Watanabe interview

Any'ol'ways, maybe it was good that it ended, I mean with all the troubles that Haley-Joel Osment is in now, and Michelle Rodriguez on probation, it would've been a while before we got to see a new ep.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Is that why Inuyasha, which was coming in with high ratings quite frequently on Saturday nights (including multiple weeks at #1), got moved from 11 to 1:30 to bring Futurama back?

Was Inuyasha in premieres or repeats at this point? And Futurama's ratings used to trump InuYasha's almost any time. Futurama/Family Guy got better ratings than the rest of the block.

Quote:

Or how Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GIG was pulling in the highest ratings of any of the weeknight anime shows, so they pulled it off the block altogether randomly and are set to start it over again from episode 1 at 1:30 in a few weeks?

Except that is in weekday repeats and the death slot refers to 1:30am Saturday. I don't ever remember them premiering a show at 1:30am since the first year except maybe Paranoia agent which had ratings in the dump relatively.

Quote:
Lately they seem to be taking an approach where higher rated stuff has been getting pushed farther to the back of the lineups, at least for anime, presumably as part of a test to get people to watch more of the block by forcing them to stay up later to watch the shows they've already been watching in decent numbers.
That may be their strategy now, but as of the last time I watched [AS] regularly in the winter, they had still played with the 1am saturday block as if they expected nobody to watch it.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:

Care to link to it? I'm sorry but I think that official word is as fictional as this Shinichiro Watanabe interview

It was at Toon Zone somewhere. I'll have to look it up, but it was ratings.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
The fact is that Adult Swim really doesn't work that way at all. Or at least they don't right now, even though it would probably be fair to say they acted that way in the past. Lately they seem to be taking an approach where higher rated stuff has been getting pushed farther to the back of the lineups, at least for anime, presumably as part of a test to get people to watch more of the block by forcing them to stay up later to watch the shows they've already been watching in decent numbers.

Pushing stuff back just makes me do other stuff until the show that I want to watch comes on. I'm not going to waste my time watching the crap they show before and after anime.

They really have no clue how to schedule anything over there, do they?
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
i have to say i've become quite addicted to Oban Star Racers. i know a lot of people are gonna write if off cause it's on Toon Disney, but it actually is pretty good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3