• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If the Coach knew Kawakami was injured, wouldn't he have had the trainer look at him right away? It's not like he can pitch any more this game. I'm not sure he knew.

I guess it was because they framed it as a "sometimes you need the truth rather than to be comforted" scene via Kanemaru's monologue. (Which is totally true, but Kawakami's been dealing with the cold hard truth since episode 1, and this time it wasn't even his fault.)

Coach Todoroki and Miyuki understood, so I thought their coach would've figured it out. It's possible that he had no idea, though.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I personally kind of like marathoning this series over watching it episode by episode. Doing so keep you in a constant state of tension which the series delivers on perfectly. Watching it week by week would kill me =(.

As always I still thoroughly enjoy this series and wish upon a star that some string of luck would bring it over to the U.S because it's certainly something I'd like to add to my connection (though that's unlikely).

Still REALLY wish the OP didn't spoil so much though. Raichi's team vs Kosei's was probably the most intense of all the non Seido games but knowing who was going to come out on top did sort of take a bit of a toll on my enjoyment. Plus, I actually like Kosei as a character and he's quite the badass to be able to strike out someone like Raichi. While cockiness was his downfall like a certain other blonde character I feel like his situation was a bit more understandable given he finally struck out the biggest monster on the team and NOT being confident after that is near impossible. Hope he's able to bounce back in the next go around.

I quite like that the series sets up all the new characters that plan to join teams before the season is over. It gives us a great preview to their personalities and goals. That way they don't have to dump it all on us at once when they suit up.

It's also nice to see the coaches starting to show respect for each other. Ochiai is actually getting some decent character development as he can see the positives to Kataoka's coaching style and isn't afraid to admit he's wrong about how to handle some of the players. I think this might influence his coaching IF he ever takes over. If Kataoka DOES end up staying though I think he should have Ochiai stick around considering all he's done to help the team so far. At the very least he can replace Oota who is probably the ONLY character I hate on the show (doesn't help that his VA doesn't do it for me either).

Oh and yes Nori is awesome <3
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I personally kind of like marathoning this series over watching it episode by episode. Doing so keep you in a constant state of tension which the series delivers on perfectly.

Last Dec. I went back and started watching from the beginning, because I like to revisit the early episodes and see how I feel differently about it after seeing more episodes. My intention was to just watch about a dozen or so and hang it up. Ended up re-watching right up to the present. So I know exactly what you mean. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 121

Finally, the other shoe drops! Though I'm not sure when that whole conference took place - it seemed like the batters were still batting while the rest of the team and the entire coaching staff left the dugout. That wouldn't look suspicious at all! But it's nice to see Sawamura pitching well.

Speaking of batting and Sawamura, I would really, really, really like to see him get a hit. Have we ever seen him as a base runner? Can't remember if he's ever been walked by wild pitches or hbp. The only not-K's I can think of are his exceptional bunts.

I completely headdesk whenever that reporter opens her mouth anymore. "They're really trying to win here." No duh. To be fair, I've heard such idiotic comments on tv before, but she's not doing color commentary, so she's doesn't have the excuse of using such lame filler to avoid dead-air.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
That was awesome.

Eijun really made his presence on the field known this week. Not only striking out Todoroki but Sanada as well. The kid earned my respect for sure now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 122

Yes, that was beautiful. Although they give away the outcome with the music. There's no way that swelling score as he wound up was going to end with a homer, or even a base hit. Smile

But that's ok, it's worth sacrificing the lack of suspense sometimes to give us those inspiring telepathic dialogs between the battery. Very Happy
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
"He struck him out on three pitches!"

...and it only took 15 minutes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ochiai's trying to feel out what's up, but it's like he's only working off Rei's obvious agitation. Didn't he notice when she, 80% of the team and all the staff left the dugout in the middle of the game?

Btw, I only just noticed that the reporter with the newsboy cap is named Fujio Mine. Laughing

My prediction for how this will shake out is that Seido will bat around in the next two innings to bring a runner on base with Haru up to bat and he'll hit a homer with an aluminum bat. He's already broken his bat twice in this game, I think (or once in each of the last two games), so he's due for a switch. Then Sawamura will either hold out to finish the game or Furuya will get a chance to come in to close the last batter (which I hope not, actually, since he's always terrible starting up). If Haru only gets a double or triple, then I guess Miyuki will get to redeem his batting with at least a game-ending single. That would be cool too, although it could be costly.

I don't know if this is renewed after this season, but it feels like it could just go on forever like a long-running shounen. It's still crazy popular in Japan, isn't it?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If the Coach knew Kawakami was injured, wouldn't he have had the trainer look at him right away? It's not like he can pitch any more this game. I'm not sure he knew.

I guess it was because they framed it as a "sometimes you need the truth rather than to be comforted" scene via Kanemaru's monologue. (Which is totally true, but Kawakami's been dealing with the cold hard truth since episode 1, and this time it wasn't even his fault.)

Coach Todoroki and Miyuki understood, so I thought their coach would've figured it out. It's possible that he had no idea, though.

Have you ever seen Cross Game? A similar situation happened to Kitamura. It caused the error that lost them the game but it does show while it's bothersome, it isn't a major injury at all. His hand was temporarily numbed- it's a condition pitchers should be able to deal with. The only question I had about that decision was why he couldn't have kept him on the field in case they absolutely needed him to switch back. I doubt he'd be such a bad left-fielder. I guess they couldn't risk taking out a better hitter to have a line-up with both Kawakami and Sawamura in it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 123

Aw, some quality Wakana time at last. She shouldn't worry - that wasn't quite a confession and it'll go right over his head.

Also, it was hilarious that Kanemaru was fearless about being hit because of batting for Sawamura in practice. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 124

Looks like they're back to Ace of Cliffhangers mode. Nice aggressive baserunning though.

Looks like this game is really aging the Coach.

leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 122

Yes, that was beautiful. Although they give away the outcome with the music. There's no way that swelling score as he wound up was going to end with a homer, or even a base hit. Smile

But that's ok, it's worth sacrificing the lack of suspense sometimes to give us those inspiring telepathic dialogs between the battery. Very Happy

While I admit the anime does give away if someone is going to get a hit or strikeout a little too much with the music you've got to remember how they tricked us last season with that. Constantly in the final game the music would swell and you'd be like "Yeah he's going to do it!" then they would suddendly cut the music leaving you in utter shock as they failed. Considering the stakes with this game I'm not going to trust the music at all Wink
LordMaou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I personally kind of like marathoning this series over watching it episode by episode. Doing so keep you in a constant state of tension which the series delivers on perfectly. Watching it week by week would kill me =(.

I feel ya on that, I always watch the episode each week and I'm like yay...they did 2-3 batters then another cliffhanger! At times I'm like ~looks for manga~hmm...only up to current point or far into the future for the summer after this one...but...I want to see what happens just right after the cliffhanger lol. Marathoning it like I do some other shows would probably be best.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Episode 50

Like the usual episodes with few actual batters we have Zono finish his at bat and then that's the end of the episode. Season 2 is listed as having 51 episodes so next week will be the conclusion of the game and the wrap up. Hopefully Furuya makes it fast so we have some closing stuff for the season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Not too sure it makes sense to put in Furuya at this point, but maybe he sees it as giving them extra motivation to wrap things up.

I loved the part where Miyuki is walking back to the plate thinking how crazy his two pitchers are, and you can faintly hear him chuckling in the background.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 23