• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wii U Cannot Play Standard DVD, Blu-ray Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
It's like Nintendo is DARING people to stay with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
agr964

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Dang, I was really hoping the Wii U would be my 5th DVD Player.

Seriously though, anyone buying a Wii U most likely already has a Blu-Ray/DVD player that offers superior playback quality and audio features than what the Wii U could offer anyway.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
250 GB cap of bandwidth a month? And that's not enough?

I get 500 MB a day (I don't get monthly usage, only daily). I WISH I could get 250 GB a month.

either get Verizon or something else man that's not even possible to live by in this day by that. Hell streaming off of netflix or youtube alone for a couple of videos I watch on there could eat that cap like candy. To those that have caps, i do feel like an ass for saying this but I don't. I have local broadband internet with no cap but to be frank I don't see that staying the same way forever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
250 GB cap of bandwidth a month? And that's not enough?

I get 500 MB a day (I don't get monthly usage, only daily). I WISH I could get 250 GB a month.

either get Verizon or something else man that's not even possible to live by in this day by that. Hell streaming off of netflix or youtube alone for a couple of videos I watch on there could eat that cap like candy. To those that have caps, i do feel like an ass for saying this but I don't. I have local broadband internet with no cap but to be frank I don't see that staying the same way forever.

I've been capped once long ago, but nowadays, I could do 50gb in a day, and they don't care. Maybe it helps when ya know people who work there. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote
CannedJam wrote:
Well, to say the least, this isn't cool :/

It's vintage Nintendo. and unfortunately it's going to be the reason why this new console wont outsell the PS3 cause of the lack of DVD playback.

However this new controller is definitely A HELL OF A LOT BETTER than the crappy wii mote. If it's works well i can finally play Metroid Prime 3 as well as Other M without having to suffer from that AWFUL AWFUL wiimote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
It's vintage Nintendo. and unfortunately it's going to be the reason why this new console wont outsell the PS3 cause of the lack of DVD playback.

Eh? *Looks at Wii* This does not compute. The Wii U not being an all-in-one wonder is not going to be a reason for it to be outsold by the PS3.

Quote:
However this new controller is definitely A HELL OF A LOT BETTER than the crappy wii mote. If it's works well i can finally play Metroid Prime 3 as well as Other M without having to suffer from that AWFUL AWFUL wiimote.

Classic Controller Pro ftw.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
CannedJam wrote:
Well, to say the least, this isn't cool :/

you want to know something funny I have an import GameCube from japan that does play dvd's, yeah R2 dvd's is not a big market here but at the time that was a reason for the import. What gets me is why didn't Nintendo of America release one over here, below is what one looks like and it's more bad ass than the purple lunch box >_>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
A couple of reasons could be that Nintendo didn't technically make it, the price was $500(US) and the side view of it is ugly as sin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_Q
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

How does the Classic Controler Pro get into this? They dont work for wii mote only games like Prime 3 and Other M. Or did i miss something? cause i have the original classic controller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Interesting...
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

How does the Classic Controler Pro get into this? They don't work for wii mote only games like Prime 3 and Other M. Or did i miss something? cause i have the original classic controller.

Perhaps that was their plan to get people to invest in this:
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Interesting...

I agree, since when is other M counted as a game? also the wii despite all of my bitching was/is the funniest console to mod and play roms/emulators on. I really don't see a point in bumping this anymore but on the game cube dvd being 500 dollars.. don't remind me that was 4 months of saving at part-time job in 2001.. but you also have to remember things are cheaper here console and game wise so it would have cost around 300 for that dvd game cube if they did it here but that's just speculation.

Aside from all of this I might get a Wii if and only if the 3rd party support is decent, games make the system not the hardware.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4