• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
In the world of AoT, retaining humanity while beating the titans is a beautiful idealistic goal, but most likely not achievable

I disagree with this statement if ONLY on the basis of spoiler[we don't know who "created" the titans, who is currently "controlling" them or what the larger "endgame" is. It is obvious that people (even people INSIDE THE WALLS) know about the shape-changing power and Erwin has all but stated that there's STILL a "civil war" going on within humanity.] I don't think one can make a definite statement on what's needed to beat the titans until that stuff is clarified.

Also, one thing I hadn't given much thought to, but after reading this thread becomes more obvious is:
Mikasa = female Sasuke (Naruto)
Considering that Sasuke was one of the most popular characters of Naruto, (early on) I don't find it odd that Mikasa gets the votes in AoT. And regarding her falling behind the Survey Corps Capts, a fair number of people preferred that because they felt she was heading into "Mary Sue" direction prior to that point. I think Hannes does a good job of pointing out that the trio of Eren, Mikasa & Armin are: Passion, Strength & Intellect personified. By the time it's all said and done, I think they'll prove that all three are needed. They've ALREADY shown:
spoiler[Eren will not quit, and he'll also drag everyone into things through sheer force of personality, but he often lacks the STRENGTH to actually enact his ideals and NEVER really puts the THOUGHT into what needs to be done
Mikasa can stand up to anyone in any situation and have a fighting chance and often intimidate others, but she cares for (almost) nothing and they even give a clear instance of her inability to inspire others, she also doesn't think beyond a very myopic viewpoint and hasn't proven any capability to plan past her disadvantages.
Armin is incredibly intelligent and quick on the uptake, he can see the gears moving and plan appropriately to avoid pitfalls, but he lacks confidence and has no true motivation, he is also very weak physically and would clearly be at serious risk if left on his own.
]

I think part of the lack of "depth" on the main trio is plot driven. At bare minimum a big chunk of Eren's past is obviously obscured intentionally for plot reasons, and Mikasa has characteristics she does for obviously similar reasons. Other than that though, one could argue that the writer was a little over-ambitious with the ensemble size to the detriment of the primaries.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Other than that though, one could argue that the writer was a little over-ambitious with the ensemble size to the detriment of the primaries.

Definitely agree with this. It's not a total failure but definitely not a success, either.

Last edited by Key on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was a good anime. Not one of the best, but one of the better ones so far this year. The plot was engaging, the characters were interesting, and it hasn't yet overstayed its welcome like so many long running shounen series have.
I love how he handles the gender thing--if you can fight, get yourself some 3D gear and go for it. Also love the unisex uniforms. Thank you. We need more of that--I haven't seen men and women wearing the same uniform in anime since FMA (unlike shows like K, where not only is there only one female soldier, but her uniform is super-revealing and doesn't make any sense for combat.)
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also like that the character designs for female characters are as varied and interesting as the male designs rather than all being same-faced anime cute.
While they aren't moeblobs I wouldn't say that there was variety in the female character designs: if it weren't for her "driving goggle" glasses I would have had a hard time distinguishing Mikasa from the nutjob "scientist" woman. Mikasa also doesn't look too far removed from the male character designs, though as the "Levi cleans the house" bit demonstrated many a male character had an androgynous design in this.

The melodrama in this, the hammy overacting, was rather tedious IMO. I (gasp) agree with the review on that. I haven't heard such cheesiness since I watched Rainbow. I really hope that Funimation's dub can tone down the melodrama. Maybe they can cast Jerry Jewel to achieve that lol.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
I also like that the character designs for female characters are as varied and interesting as the male designs rather than all being same-faced anime cute.
While they aren't moeblobs I wouldn't say that there was variety in the female character designs: if it weren't for her "driving goggle" glasses I would have had a hard time distinguishing Mikasa from the nutjob "scientist" woman. Mikasa also doesn't look too far removed from the male character designs, though as the "Levi cleans the house" bit demonstrated many a male character had an androgynous design in this.

Really? I think they look pretty different. More than a lot of anime, anyway.
Mikasa
Hanji (scientist)

Character Chart (104th trainees only)
I think some of the characters look same-y in the manga just because of the inconsistency in Isayama's art, but I think the anime fixes a lot of that. They're especially good at varying nose and eyebrow structure, something a lot of anime don't even touch.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Personally, this show is a high 9 out of 10 for me. The plot is paced evenly and justifiably, personally and everything else just comes across pretty well. The character development was a bit lacking, but honestly said lack of it didn't really do the series any real wrong.
Eri94

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:

Really? I think they look pretty different. More than a lot of anime, anyway.
Mikasa
Hanji (scientist)

Character Chart (104th trainees only)
I think some of the characters look same-y in the manga just because of the inconsistency in Isayama's art, but I think the anime fixes a lot of that. They're especially good at varying nose and eyebrow structure, something a lot of anime don't even touch.
I could understand him mistaking Hanji for Sasha, but to mistake her for Mikasa? That's just impossible unless you have severe vision problems.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I figured he must have meant Sasha.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
Rainrix wrote:
What's there to debate about with this show? It doesn't contain any girls in sailor uniforms, no high schools, no brain dead male leads and no otaku pandering bullshit, therefore this show automatically gets raised into notably superior status. Aot, aku no Hana, and kill la kill were it for 2013.

Yeah, not really. Thanks for playing anyways, hotshot. Rolling Eyes
eragon2890

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I haven´t watched ATO yet Anime hyper I loved SAO tough, especially Asuna is just soooo awesome! Love all the Kirito+Asuna cosplayers at cons tough :3 But tough I saw someone make a comparison to SAO, I can´t imagine it being like that??

Anyway, I normally love moeblobs, cute girls, otaku humor (I LOVEEEEEE outbreak company), that sort of thing~ No storie, no character development, but totally happy and cute and just ... jaaaaay kawaiiness!! Anime hyper I almost live for moe blobs and ecchi (harem like to love ru for the win! )

So I think I shoud skip this one... especially if it has no fanservice, which is one of the major reasons I (and literally *everyone * I know Anime hyper) watches anime instead of western stuff ~ Moar sexyness~

Or is it really as cool as some people are saying? I do watch sci-fi and fantasy shows sometimes, too...
seandream91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:
I haven´t watched ATO yet Anime hyper I loved SAO tough, especially Asuna is just soooo awesome! Love all the Kirito+Asuna cosplayers at cons tough :3 But tough I saw someone make a comparison to SAO, I can´t imagine it being like that??

Anyway, I normally love moeblobs, cute girls, otaku humor (I LOVEEEEEE outbreak company), that sort of thing~ No storie, no character development, but totally happy and cute and just ... jaaaaay kawaiiness!! Anime hyper I almost live for moe blobs and ecchi (harem like to love ru for the win! )

So I think I shoud skip this one... especially if it has no fanservice, which is one of the major reasons I (and literally *everyone * I know Anime hyper) watches anime instead of western stuff ~ Moar sexyness~

Or is it really as cool as some people are saying? I do watch sci-fi and fantasy shows sometimes, too...
someone shoot me now after what I just had the displeasure to read
Chicken-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:

Wouldn't expect anything less from an eragon fan
Chicken-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll be really interested to see how this show holds up to viewings a few years from now. For me, I feel like the experience of watching the simulcasts and waiting anxiously for the next weeks episode added so much. Add to that the intense devotion and passion felt by the community towards this show, and you were left with a really fresh and exciting experience.
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:

Okay, who in the blue hell compared Attack on Titan to SAO? I mean, not to speak to the quality of the shows, as I haven't seen SAO, but jesus, talk about a completely different tone, setting(SAO is technically sci-fi, i will be as pedantic as i please), style, etc.

Seriously, am I the only one that picked up on this?
rowsdower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:

I'm inclined to call elaborate parody troll on this, but if there's one thing anime/manga fandom has taught me it's that the line between otaku parody and authenticity is sheer to the point of invisibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5