• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Freshly Baked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
ShikamaChU wrote:
This sums up everything: the world is automagically a better place now that Yakitate!! Is out in North America.

I shall bake to celebrate.~♫ ♥♥♥♥
Mmm…butter rolls ^^

I concur.

I thought that Y!J wouldn't be out until mid-September. =\

That's correct, although you'll probably find some bookstores willing to dodge the street date. Wink

(In fact the first volume had already been ready as early as SD Comic-con)
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
I clicked on the Yakitate!! Japan link out of curiosity recently. How do you make a shounen manga about baking? There are other topics out there but baking? The premise for the story sounds interesting. I watch a lot of Food TV and would like to see how accurate the author is on the details. I hope my nearby bookstore gets an early shipment.

The mangaka is assisted by a good friend of him who's the owner of a pretty famous bakery in Japan. Not all of the bread they make is very realistic, but there are some of you can buy in that bakery.

Yakitate!! Japan proves that manga can be about any subject and still compell the reader. An excellent showcase that not all of it is about Pokemon or Hentai like outsiders tend to think.
It's actually more of a parody on shounen manga than anything.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
The Yakitate! Japan manga! Sweet! Now I only need to wait for the anime licence and my life will be complete...anyone else think Yakitate would make a good addition to the food network line up?
Loren Leah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
It really surprises me to hear that people dislike the political subplots in Naruto... my friends and I love them. Seeing the politics behind being ninja adds a lot of depth to the world, I think.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
The political subplot and whatnot isn't really a bad thing, but the fight scenes are clearly what Kishimoto is best at.

I haven't seen or read Y!J before, but so far, I've only seen good reviews of it. I'll check it out when it's released.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
chrisb wrote:
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I liked Suzuka the first time I read it

....... When it was called Love Hina.

(and before that, Maison Ikkoku)

I didn't really see it like Love Hina at all, Maison Ikkoku maybe. How far have you gotten into the manga because it was lame at first for me too but I kept reading and I really enjoyed it.

He probably didn't read past the opening chapters. That are very much alike Love Hina. The story takes a dramatically different turn and tone after that.

Correct, I was going on the similarities and the fact that I have a substantial reading queue (manga and non-manga). Perhaps I should give this one another try? What sort of tone does it go on to take?
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It goes on to take more of a romance and drama tone with some breaks for comedy releif but the series does get more into the hardships of relationships rather than fanservice especially when the manga passes episode 6-11 after that it really gets good and Hanoka especially becomes a favroite of mine. Plus the art is very nice.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote

LOL I thought the same thing when I was leafing through it. Haven't read it yet, but the male lead doesn't seem anywhere near as appealing or relatable as Keitaro or Godai....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I had an on-again, off-again liking to Peach Girl. Sae's Story may be interesting.

Quote:
Maybe, if you really want to be nitpicky, you could say that [Yakitate! Japan] is hopelessly confined to the shounen mold of training to be the best.

But that's the point. Yakitate is the shounen series that makes fun of all shounen series, and does it well. The anime is equally awesome and is, in my opinion, the best thing Sunrise put their hands on since Cowboy Bebop.

Yakitate is a must-read, must-watch, must-anything.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

LOL I thought the same thing when I was leafing through it. Haven't read it yet, but the male lead doesn't seem anywhere near as appealing or relatable as Keitaro or Godai....

For anyone with any doubts about the Suzuka property, go ahead and watch several episodes of the anime. At no time did the anime feel like a "harem" style show.

I'm a huge fan of the anime, so I definitley can't wait to pick up the first volume of the manga, especially since it goes past where the anime ended (not to say the anime ending was bad, it felt very conclusive).

On another note: I have to check out a shonen property that's about baking; how can you not?
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I"m glad Yakitate!! is being praised as much as i loved it.

It does parody the shounen genre and other things later on Wink

I need to check this out next time i go to the bookstores
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Strange, I found the political aspects of the Naruto world to be very very interesting. To each his own, I guess, but I seem to be finding myself disagreeing with people much more nowadays. Rolling Eyes
elsie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how people feel about the politics in Bleach compared to the politics in Naruto. I think Bleach handles it a bit better, but I like that Naruto has politics. I like that there's an adult world that the kids going through the exams aren't really aware of, even when they're pawns in those politics.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I liked the political subplots in Naruto, not because they were terribly interesting but because they helped alot to add dimension to the world of Naruto. They provided a sort of backdrop against which the characters fight, and it helped to explain how the world worked in general. Of course, they were pretty generic, but if I recall volume 11 was the only volume that actually featured them that much...

I'll definetly be checking out Yakitate Japan. I read the first volume with scanlations, and though I enjoyed it I never read any farther. If the Viz adapation is good enough maybe I'll continue with the series. Smile
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
I'll definetly be checking out Yakitate Japan. I read the first volume with scanlations, and though I enjoyed it I never read any farther. If the Viz adapation is good enough maybe I'll continue with the series. Smile

As much as something like Yakitate is "adaptable" to another language, they did a pretty good job imo. I was sceptical to see how they would handle it, and I hardly had any awkward moments when I read it. They obviously chose for a very fluid translation without a whole heep of notes, and slightly editing some jokes without hurting the original ones too much.
Kudos to Viz for this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3