• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy to Run on TV in Japan, N. America, Asia in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
This doesn't really strike me as the kind of show they would expect to be a huge hit in Japan, so perhaps they are okay with modest Japanese disc sales and are just going to bet it all on the western market, not caring too much about reverse importation.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
If any anime has a chance to pull this off, it's "the new work from the creator of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo". I hope Mr. Watanabe makes Space Dandy as good as it now needs to be.

Side note, I hope I'm not the only one who realized that the other series to follow this kind of release, Kurokami, was on Imaginasian, which involved a Mr. Justin Sevakis.

P.S., thank you to Justin for introducing me to Couple in Trouble and Winter Sonata. It's because of those (and Full House) that I'm in on Korean dramas.
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
It'll win all the Emmys!!!!

On a serious note, this is really cool. I think it's a smart step towards making Toonami relevant in the animation world once more. (Not saying it isn't, but it's not as strong as it once was.)
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
This is great, because now I can pirate the English dub without having to wait for the BDs! I guess they must not care about my viewership, given that they're not simulcasting it in Canada.

(Note: Pardon my sarcastic exaggeration. Thing is, that's kind of how it feels when Canada keeps getting left out of "North America" licensing deals. Though to be entirely fair, I won't be surprised if I ever hear of Crunchyroll getting in on this just to cover the gap of people who don't/can't get Adult Swim.)
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad this is coming out finally.

My issue with is Funamation. Not big fan of them, i know they've changed since the bad old days when they completed kiddized their imported animes. Space Dandy sounds like its going have alot naughty humor in it. Boobies and so forth, i personally think that Funny will produce a television friendly version and a DVD/Blu Ray one.

Personally, i'll watch fansubs if there are any, so i can see what their actually saying. I find translated by professional importers like Funanimation is lacking at times.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Well, I'm glad this is coming out finally.

My issue with is Funamation. Not big fan of them, i know they've changed since the bad old days when they completed kiddized their imported animes. Space Dandy sounds like its going have alot naughty humor in it. Boobies and so forth, i personally think that Funny will produce a television friendly version and a DVD/Blu Ray one.

Personally, i'll watch fansubs if there are any, so i can see what their actually saying. I find translated by professional importers like Funanimation is lacking at times.

This sounds pretty out of touch with what Funimation has been doing for a loooooooong time.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
I do hope they have the subs up for funi video subscribers at least. Though I guess I could give the dub a whirl.
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to watch this on Toonami. I've been excited to see this show. I have high hopes that Steve Blum will join on this project.
GYRAX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
I do hope they have the subs up for funi video subscribers at least. Though I guess I could give the dub a whirl.

FUNimation confirmed themselves that they will simulcast the subbed version on their site. :3
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
Well this is pretty exciting.

I'm happy to hear it will be on Toonami and it premieres while I'm on break and back home.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
WOW!!! This is going to be interesting to see. Can't wait to check this out.

ColonelYao47 wrote:
P.S., thank you to Justin for introducing me to Couple in Trouble and Winter Sonata. It's because of those (and Full House) that I'm in on Korean dramas.

Yay, another fan of K-dramas beside me. Very Happy

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm not a little disappointed with what the headline says "North America" when in fact it's just the USA. North America refers to the continent, after all.

Anyone know if the AS/Toonami livestream on the website let people outside the US (particularly, Canada) view it? I'm assuming no.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
Sweet finely an anime that I dont have to watch first sub
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Can't say I'm not a little disappointed with what the headline says "North America" when in fact it's just the USA. North America refers to the continent, after all.

Anyone know if the AS/Toonami livestream on the website let people outside the US (particularly, Canada) view it? I'm assuming no.

It also says Asia. I'm assuming it isn't airing in every Asian country.

It's not incorrect to say it's airing in North America.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Damn, guess this means I can't cancel my satellite after all since there has been nothing on tv but there will be in January! Whoo Hoo!

I'm really freaking excited about this. From what I've seen of the previews so far it's giving me that vibe that no matter what it does I will love this show, similar to my experience with Panty & Stocking and Hellsing. It'll be really interesting to see how it's all handled. Now let's get Steven Blum to play the Space Dandy main character dude and it will be perfect. Then I can place Space Dandy with my beloved Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo with him helming a lead character for all three! It would be beautiful.....(drifts off into her imagination).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5