• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DC Comics CEO on CMX, Tenjho Tenge Editing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
urumi_chan wrote:
"We probably have a more limited range of what would be at the far edge of R-rated to X-rated content than some publishers. We don't want to do material that is beyond the range we'd publish ourselves in our own lines. That affects the range that we look at as well. The Japanese culture is comfortable with any number of things in manga that American audiences are not necessarily comfortable with. We're probably not going to be the company that is going to push the limits to the extreme there. "

Apparently, the violence in TenTen is somehow more extreme than what's found in Infinite Crisis. Going by what Donna M. described above, I would think there isn't that much of a difference between the violence portrayed in Infinite Crisis and the violence in TenTen. This also brings up another point that has always bothered me about the TenTen edits. Most of what is censored is the sexual content and nudity. So showing nudity and sex is somehow worse than showing someone getting their head chopped off? Is this one of the "cultural differences" between Japan and America that Levitz was talking about? That tearing off someone's arm is perfectly acceptable by American standards, but showing a pair of breasts is not? I would think that seeing someone being cut in half would damage a young person more than seeing a nipple, but I guess Paul Levitz does not.

Screw Infinate Crisis. That's nothing compared to Vertigo. Though at least those are labeled. The great thing about Vertigo is that it shows how comics are not just for kids and there is a market out there for comics for adults. Manga should also be able to do this, yet DC fails to understand this. They have this 'manga is for kids' attitude and says there's no market for adult manga which is insane as they publish a line like Vertigo which proves that wrong. Plus I would think Vertigo fans would be very open to many mature Japanese titles.

jbondsr wrote:
I agree 100%. I recently started really getting into comics again, and I finished reading the infinite crisis series about a month ago. All I can say is, wow. How can DC/CMX say they want to edit things when they put stuff out like this weekly with no labels, warnings, or shrink wrap? Do they think that only adults read comics now, and only kids are interested in manga? If so, they are sadly mistaken.

And about DC's Vertigo line, I just finished reading up to volume #45 of "Y The Last Man". Its got a lot more nudity, violence, and profanity than most of the manga or adult comics out there.

This is my roomate, btw. Wish he chose a better screen name. Anyway, I was just talking with him about this, which is how I discovered this thread I missed.

He points out a pet peeve of mine too. DC has s--- for a labeling system. At least most manga, I think CMX even does this, has a decent age and content warning on the back.

Most DC books don't have crap. They may even still be using the useless comics code. A few like Fallen Angel, now at IDW, had a parental advisory by the bar code. I know some Wildstorm books do too. Vertigo is a mature readers line and is labeled as such.

Yet DC's major label of DC, with all its superheros, is a mess. They dare talk about Tenjo Tenge when their main line of superheros are such a mess? Hell, they have a villian in a kids cartoon and comic raping a hero's wife in another comic with no content warning or age suggestion on the cover. Levitz is a damn hypocrite.

From the article, said by Levitz:
Quote:
What happened on Tenjho Tenge is we did a series of changes in conjunction with the artist and the publisher of the material in Japan to give it the widest possible distribution in the U.S. The unedited material would not have been able to reach as many points of distribution.

Translation: We want to get the book as many places as possible and make as much money. We don't care if we have to censor as long as we make money. Do you like my hat? It's made of money.

Clearly, DC is ignorant or not daring enough to try to establish a market of manga for adults. They'd rather dumb down and censor work and sell comics to kids. Dark Horse sure the f--- is willing to try to make a market for adults. Berserk and Hellsing are clearly adult titles. Yet DC simply does not have the balls to be this daring and they just BS their way around this fact.

Editing Tenjo Tenge was a major mistake and a betrayl of trust. Readers and retailers were never told of it until it was paid for. It was a bait and switch scam I don't think CMX has ever fully apologized for. And they still act like they are in the right on the issue. Why should any retailer trust them ever again?

They talk about brand recognition in the article? Well right now, CMX means mud. They stand as a brand not to be trusted and who will arrogantly not admit their mistakes. Until an unedited Tenjo Tenge is released, there's no reason any retailer should trust them as a brand. As it stands, if they don't change their ways, I simply hope CMX dies and a good manga republishing company gets those titles.

And you know what? I won't even get into the big mess they've made of their DC comics brand. I talk about that enough on the board of DC author Gail Simone.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dark Horse sure the f--- is willing to try to make a market for adults. Berserk and Hellsing are clearly adult titles.
Viz is willing also. Just look at Bastard, JoJo's Bizzare Adveture, and Angel Sanctuary.

Last edited by animalia555 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote
Jojo had a dog-killing scene re-drawn with a different angle, because it's ok if a mutt's being abused as long as it's in a different direction. Rolling Eyes They also don't have nudity in Ultimate Muscle, but I only read it for the fights anyway.
skaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote
These are the sorts of problems that pop up when you "label" a book. If you say a book is "for kids," (which is pretty much what "Shonen Jump" has come to mean), then you're bound by some stupid obligation to make it kid-friendly.

Kids have plenty of their own gawd-awful cartoons to watch. They own Saturday morning. I turned to anime and manga to get away from the kid stuff, so I could give a crap how "friendly" they are. Even little things, like editing out Naruto's middle finger, annoy me. What, they're willing to keep all the blood, but somehow a middle finger is traumatizing for kids? No, it's just to keep over-protective parents from suing the publisher.

Gimme my middle fingers, dammit!
shrinknerv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
You know, CMX just opened up a "As CMX" portion on their site, http://www.dccomics.com/news/?cat=6184, so now's our chance to annoy the hell out of them.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Screw Infinate Crisis. That's nothing compared to Vertigo. Though at least those are labeled. The great thing about Vertigo is that it shows how comics are not just for kids and there is a market out there for comics for adults. Manga should also be able to do this, yet DC fails to understand this. They have this 'manga is for kids' attitude and says there's no market for adult manga which is insane as they publish a line like Vertigo which proves that wrong. Plus I would think Vertigo fans would be very open to many mature Japanese titles.

A very good point. It makes one wonder why they don't start a "CMX Vertigo" or "Vertigo Japan" line for more mature manga to try to crosspollinate readers across their publishing lines.

Levitz, if you're reading this, you can use that idea. Seriously. I don't even want any royalties, I swear...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5