• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Night Raid 1931's English Cast Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pantsmca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I had no intention of buying these even though I loved the show. But I'm gunna order it now. That's just a great lineup there.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty good cast. I really liked Brittney Karbowski as Nakhl in Madlax and the the other are damned reliable too. I'm mildly apprehensive about Night Raid 1931 because I've gotten a mixed impression from the opinions that I've read, but I am interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Cool cast. Looking forward to when these ship.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Chris Ayres directed dub? This changes everything.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Just when I resolved my self to take it off my "save for later" list on TRSI, they announce this....

/puts back on "save for later" list
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Seems Sentai is finally getting the idea that people want dubs. This seems awesome!
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Why do people keep 'wanting dubs' when they keep casting Greg Ayres in everything? Casting him in anything is like casting Pauly Shore as the lead role in... well, anything. No Talent + No Charm + No redeaming qualities = WHY?
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Why do people keep 'wanting dubs' when they keep casting Greg Ayres in everything?

because that:

Quote:
Casting him in anything is like casting Pauly Shore as the lead role in... well, anything. No Talent + No Charm + No redeaming qualities = WHY?

is just an opinion. And while you view him in a negative light a lot of others like his VA work.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Just when I resolved my self to take it off my "save for later" list on TRSI, they announce this....

/puts back on "save for later" list

For me, It's just the opposite. I want it more now after seeing the cast list.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
At last, I've found a bastion of dub-love on ANN. Never thought I'd see the day Wink

It's nice to see John Grimillion jumping back into the game. It's also nice to see that not only is Chris Ayres getting to add to his rather sparse (compared to other VAs) "resume", but also that Stephen Foster is getting a break from non-stop dub direction. The man's a genius, but he'll burn out sooner or later if ADV keeps running him ragged.

Except for Blue Drop, which was directed by Matt Greenfield who then surprisingly dropped the duty onto media coordinator Janice Williams, what has ADV dubbed that Foster wasn't director of? Nothing comes to mind, and while I'm sure you all will be quick to remind me of what my memory is remiss, the titles that he didn't direct will be a rather small percentage of their total recent titles. Of that I am certain.

Greg Ayres is pretty cool, why wouldn't I want to see him get work? While he is oft-cast, he isn't always the main character. If memory serves, he's the computer hacker in Angel Beats!, and "Christ" certainly wasn't a main character.

I'm also glad to see David "Golgo 13" Wald getting to do more and more at ADV, I'm hoping he'll spring up as an ADV regular, as Greg Ayres is and how people like Chris Patton & Spike Spencer once were. Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish that they'd get him back into the role that earned him his ANN nickname, the role of Golgo 13 in the remaining 26 episodes. ADV, bring out the final volumes of Golgo 13!

I'd forgotten about John Kaiser, he's been largely gone a long time, and unlike recent resurfacing "reclusive" ADV actors Laura Chapman & Kelly Manison, the man never had any truly main roles nor a prolific "resume". I wonder how they got him back into the business, and as what seems to be a main character to boot. Note that I laud the decision to do this. Also, props to ADV for bringing those 2 classic actors back.

Lastly, it's good to see Brittney Karbowski not only continue her VA career, for she is skilled & perseverance after that accident is to be commended, but to continue it at ADV. I have great respect for Funimation, they've done great shows & had some classics, and they kept VAs employed between the Fall and the Second Coming of ADV, but ADV is what got me into dubs, & they've yet to fail me, so to them my utmost adoration goes.

I had also shrugged this series off as it seemed crappy, to be bluntly honest, and it seemed universally excoriated on ANN. However, that was before the dub was announced. A dub can make the mundane magnificent, something the sub-purists will never admit, to their loss. Now I have added this to my list of shows to buy, putting it in the ADV ranks in my collection alongside copies of Angel Beats!, Blue Drop, Canaan, Clannad, Golgo 13, Tears to Tiara, et al.

Thus endeth the ADV fanboy reading for the day. Very Happy Very Happy
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
ADV, bring out the final volumes of Golgo 13!

Just thought I'd point you to this tweet.

http://twitter.com/#!/jsyadao/status/64869490864824322
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
Please have them speak Chinese and other foreign languages.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Please have them speak Chinese and other foreign languages.

Yeah, pretty curious how they're going to handle this. Also, it'll be pretty odd hearing the foreign delegates who really are speaking English with each other in the show, as well as the main characters switching from Japanese to English (or other languages), against the backdrop of non-english characters who are regularly speaking English in the dub. (Usually in shows like Star Trek, they'd switch to Klingon with subs to contrast the different environments)
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote
I didn't really care about the show since I assumed Stephen Foster would be directing for them again, but I'm intrigued since Chris Ayres will be directing. I don't think I've seen a dub he's directed before - can't wait to see the final product.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote
I've had this title on my radar for a while now and will be interested to see how the dub turns out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2