• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-08-25]

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
That Final Fantasy anime from UV's a spin-off of FF5.
Kidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
ahh.. .hack//SIGN brings back fond memories of.... well actually it brings back no memories at all other than the fact that I don't know why I forced myself to watch the WHOLE DAMN THING...

And of course the whole fansub argument... I think to settle the argument once and for all there should be a survey. Using a large random sample of fansub downloaders, you record the number of anime episodes they have downloaded and stored (either on their HDD or burnt on a DVD) and compare it to the number of legitimately purchased episodes of anime they also have. The sample should be split by ranges of annual or monthly income as well as age. Note: it's been years since I did any proper statistics so forgive me if this idea is actually retarded.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
That guy who dislikes rabbits needs to trip over a curb and break his nose.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Hey I thought FF Spirits Within was pretty decent. Incomprehensible but then I have never fully understood any FF game I've played either. Now Unlimited was pure crap, but I didn't make it through the first disc so it could have improved.

As to the Rant good job. It seemed to articulate the main pros of fan subbers well.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
So can we look forward to twenty-four pages of people arguing the same points over and over again, flaming each other, and eventually getting the thread closed with no views changed?

Sign me up!

I don't really see the point of arguing the fansub issue. As long as they exist, some folks are going to download them, and some aren't.

I, personally, hate bunnies and kittens. I'm a muskrat man, myself.

Someone_II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
My view on fansubs. For an unlicencd series planed for X episodes, fansub half to get the viewer interested enough to buy it when it comes out. For long running series, fansub untill a licence announcement is made. For already licenced titles don't fansub or, in the even that a group does, make sure to not sub more than one volume (example: for series that have 4 eps on vol 1 sub 3, for ones with 3 sub 2 and for oneswith 5, sub 4 etc.) so you can get the viewer hooked. Only when fansuber work along those lines can they claim to help support the industry.

Sidenote: if it wern't for fansubs, I'd only have 3/20 of the series that I have collected/am currently collecting.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
*shrugs* I don't really mind fansubs for unlicenced anime (although I choose not to download them for myself), but for the 'I watch fansubs to preview!" ...why not just rent for that? Sure, that'd be difficult even a few years ago, but with online rental services like Netflix, you can find most, if not all, anime available to rent--AND you can keep it as long as you want. Now, before the series is licenced--sure, it makes perfect sense. But after it is, it's just as easy (and more legal) to rent it out.

Oh, and as for the 'Ultimate Sin' thing...that is the WEIRDEST thing I have ever heard. Anime hyper But, it does remind me of something. There was a fan game made by Chinese fans called "Bluebird's Illusion", in which, in one of several alternate endings, Ed can be killed and resurrected as Pride (the game's plot was based on the manga, and Pride hadn't be introduced yet). Maybe the 'Ultimate Sin' thing that he heard was a mistake after hearing about some sort of fanart? Or maybe even he heard some sort of twisted misunderstanding about "Pride!Ed"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
So can we look forward to twenty-four pages of people arguing the same points over and over again, flaming each other, and eventually getting the thread closed with no views changed?
One must admit it proves amusing at times. Just like rabbits, they also prove amusing at times; as when eaten fresh, grilled, hot, sweet, tender, and a thousand other objectives for a burger commercial -- and do the farmers of Australia a great favor. Razz

I'm guessing there will be posts expressing exasperation, and there will be, mostly, innocuous posts stating their positions. And then there will be posts challenging those positions; and the Merry Friends shall have another round 'n round of a 25-pages go.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
*shrugs* I don't really mind fansubs for unlicenced anime (although I choose not to download them for myself), but for the 'I watch fansubs to preview!" ...why not just rent for that? Sure, that'd be difficult even a few years ago, but with online rental services like Netflix, you can find most, if not all, anime available to rent--AND you can keep it as long as you want. Now, before the series is licenced--sure, it makes perfect sense. But after it is, it's just as easy (and more legal) to rent it out.

I refuse to rent a title over the net because so much could go wrong and in my local rental shops (Blockbuster, Rogers, Etc.) don't even have a proper anime section, it either gets lumped in with the childrens movies, fantasy films, or sci-fi flicks. And a rental shop (at least arround where I live) is lucky to have 20 different titles. I really don't have a rental outlet. That's why I like what FUNi is doing with some of their titles (online streaming)
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
It's a good thing I'm not an ANN admin, because I would have long ago inserted a site-wide filter on the words "fansub" and "fansubber" to change them to "kittens" and "groupies".
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Chris Gottschalk wrote:
The people who download it, by and large, are not simply looking to get a show for free, but to find out if the show is good. Fansubbing is about sharing an anime you saw and liked, making it more accessible to those of us who can’t understand Japanese. It is about testing the waters of an anime series, and liking the show enough that when it comes out professionally, you’re not going to mind spending money to get the DVD.
Let's hope people are going to use this "preview" to their advantage. Though I have nothing against fansubbers except those who continue to distribute Naruto, Bleach, blah, blah, blah, it is my personal belief not to watched unlicensed series. Eventually friends convinced me that fansubbing can be seen as a "preview" of some sort. I took this advice to heart and have seen two episodes at most of unlicensed series, most of the time against my will. Without fansubbing, I would not have gotten some of the series I own today. The only thing after watching my limit is to wait until a company licenses great stuff such as Ouran High School Host Club and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I count the days until Anime News Network makes an announcement. I really do not mind spending money on something I like. What I do mind is when they overcharge for it and you get little in return.

On another note, .hack. I watched it out of curiosity. I would agree with Zac since it was so boring plus the opening got annoying fast. He lasted longer than me by eight or so episodes. The games were very repetitive and simple. I wonder how the new .hack games will be like?

Edit- Grammar, spelling, fixed and added a few sentences
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:

I refuse to rent a title over the net because so much could go wrong and in my local rental shops (Blockbuster, Rogers, Etc.) don't even have a proper anime section, it either gets lumped in with the childrens movies, fantasy films, or sci-fi flicks. And a rental shop (at least arround where I live) is lucky to have 20 different titles. I really don't have a rental outlet. That's why I like what FUNi is doing with some of their titles (online streaming)

Well, if you refuse to rent, that's your problem. I've used Netflix. Shipping is free. I've never had a problem with them (except that I have a tendancy to forget to send BACK stuff, but that's obviously my fault, and not Netflix--and it's not like I'm getting a late fee, just my membership fee). Netflix has a free trial--try it out if you're that wary of it.

If you're not willing to try, then it kinda makes me think you're not willing to pay at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Someone_II wrote:

Well, if you refuse to rent, that's your problem. I've used Netflix. Shipping is free. I've never had a problem with them (except that I have a tendancy to forget to send BACK stuff, but that's obviously my fault, and not Netflix--and it's not like I'm getting a late fee, just my membership fee). Netflix has a free trial--try it out if you're that wary of it.

If you're not willing to try, then obviously, you're just simply not willing to pay.

Hey, woah, there! Don't go puting words into my mouth. I'm plenty willing to pay. Hell, in the past year I've probably spent a good $100 on rentals. The problem is the lack of local selection. As for netflix, call me paranoid, call me what you will, but I don't want to rent from there incase something goes wrong.

Edit: It's not the company itself that worries me, it's the postal service and my crappy memory that worry me. Plus if something doesn't get retuned on time my grandparents really come down on my head*.

*still a minor
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
^^;; Sorry, I knew my wording was too harsh and went back to edit it, but looks like you caught it before then.

Still, though, there's a free trial. It's basically no-risk to try, and you can cancel your membership at any time, so I would really suggest trying it. ^^;
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
^^;; Sorry, I knew my wording was too harsh and went back to edit it, but looks like you caught it before then.

Still, though, there's a free trial. It's basically no-risk to try, and you can cancel your membership at any time, so I would really suggest trying it. ^^;

Well, if I can talk my grandparents into letting me use their credit card I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt I geuss.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15