Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-08-25]


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
epixeltwin



Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 325
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Steve007101 wrote:


I had originally planned to actually refute what you said here but in reality it's Labor Day and I'd much rather relax and play video games than waste my life arguing with you.

You think whatever you want, live in whatever reality you live in, and continue thinking that I think I'm some kind of infallible monster or whatever.

It is not physically possible for me to care less about your opinion on the matter.


Steve007101 wrote:
Eh, same here, I'm goin to bed.



SHENANIGANS

Judas Priest may be Breakin' the Law, but you should not. Stealing = Wrong. You can do it? Yes. Do I want to? Mostly not. Does my neighbor want to? Almost never. Do very respectful people steal? Never.

But you can stay put as it is, and leave yourself be selfish and unreasoned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger My Anime
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:
Judas Priest may be Breakin' the Law, but you should not. Stealing = Wrong. You can do it? Yes. Do I want to? Mostly not. Does my neighbor want to? Almost never. Do very respectful people steal? Never.

But you can stay put as it is, and leave yourself be selfish and unreasoned.

Believe me, the temptation is always there, even the good people can fall. Several key people I've known at my workplace have come and gone because they were caught stealing. I've even "borrowed" a couple things from the place myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7856
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Believe me, the temptation is always there, even the good people can fall. Several key people I've known at my workplace have come and gone because they were caught stealing. I've even "borrowed" a couple things from the place myself.


Good people occasionally making a mistake and people doing things because they're desperate are one thing.

Stealing because you're lazy and cheap is another thing, and trying to justify it as being the "right" thing to do because you feel entitled... well, that's well into the realm of stupidity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Stealing because you're lazy and cheap is another thing, and trying to justify it as being the "right" thing to do because you feel entitled... well, that's well into the realm of stupidity.

I see this answer being pointed to one of two places, either me or the world in general.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7856
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

I see this answer being pointed to one of two places, either me or the world in general.


I don't have any idea what your personal habits are.

I was commenting on the fact that people doing things out of desperation or making a mistake is not the same thing as people who believe that they have a right to not ever pay for entertainment ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Kilgamayan



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 222
Location: Location, Location.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
Kitsune_Cool wrote:
This is lame. Why is everyone on here so hell bent on fighting? I thought this was a place to go where people could talk about something that they love with other fans, maybe even laugh a little, but every forum I've been in is always on the verge of exploding into an immature cat fight. (Again, don't take this personally. And yes, I do lurk sometimes, because I've been out of high school for a time now and I really don't find much fun in trading insults on an online forum.)


Oh, what an enchanted world you post in. Reminds me of me before I became disillusioned to the internet.

If the extent of your internet fight experience is secluded to this website, a wise man once said, "you ain't seen nothin' yet". You should be thankful this forum is one that very rarely goes beyond "the verge of exploding". Multitudes of other well-populated forums out there are not run nearly as strictly as this one is.

I'm not trying to demean you or anything, I'm just saying that this kind of thing shouldn't upset you because in the grand scheme of e-things it's really nothing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ryujin jakka



Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 156
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
Steve007101 wrote:
Pardon my language but that's really a laugable conjecture, and uninformed. Seriously, do you really think it'd do much, and do you honestly think it'd be beneficial to them in the long wrong? The answer is definetly no. For the last time, they're going to have to work with fansubs pure and simple, we get what we want when it's easy, no matter if it's illegal or not.


Pardon my language but that is the biggestspoiler[[expletive] pile of Goddamn shit ] I have ever read in my life. of course it would help. If people are being fined and going to prision over this crap, others would not do it as much. And then we would have better titals licenced FASTER, and with more ease.

Quote:
we get what we want when it's easy, no matter if it's illegal or not


You sir are a theif. do you deny it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve007101



Joined: 22 Mar 2005
Posts: 165
Location: IL, USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote
Why would I, we're all thieves in one way or another but that's not the point. Of course I agree it's wrong, I opened on the topic saying any form of misusing someone's property is wrong but are you guys really letting that blind you to reality? Wrong, right, big freakin deal, we're talking about the real world, the reality is hundreds of thousands of people at least if not millions and more download fansubs. If you really think fines on a few of their heads can change that, you don't know your recent history, don't you recall the napster fiasco and all that insued, the movie industry as well? It was more costly to sue them in the first place. It was a rediculous idea, there were more people to sue then they could count. So I ask you, do you really think it'd be a practical idea?

No one has yet to say anything to that argument except to keep repeating downloading fansubs is said "wrong."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 8173
Location: England, UK
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:23 am Reply with quote
Steve007101 wrote:
If you really think fines on a few of their heads can change that, you don't know your recent history, don't you recall the napster fiasco and all that insued, the movie industry as well? It was more costly to sue them in the first place. It was a rediculous idea, there were more people to sue then they could count. So I ask you, do you really think it'd be a practical idea?

No one has yet to say anything to that argument except to keep repeating downloading fansubs is said "wrong."
Napster is not "free" anymore. Does that answer your argument? They might not have stopped the bears but they at least put a tap on the honey and are now charging for a spoonful on their toast. If they can do the same to the fansubbers I'll be there with me credit card. knowing that at least the creator and original author will get his, or her share of the action.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Steve007101 wrote:
Why would I, we're all thieves in one way or another but that's not the point. Of course I agree it's wrong, I opened on the topic saying any form of misusing someone's property is wrong but are you guys really letting that blind you to reality? Wrong, right, big freakin deal, we're talking about the real world, the reality is hundreds of thousands of people at least if not millions and more download fansubs. If you really think fines on a few of their heads can change that, you don't know your recent history, don't you recall the napster fiasco and all that insued, the movie industry as well? It was more costly to sue them in the first place. It was a rediculous idea, there were more people to sue then they could count. So I ask you, do you really think it'd be a practical idea?

No one has yet to say anything to that argument except to keep repeating downloading fansubs is said "wrong."

I think your supporting fansubs is your thing, but don't you think some of the things you say overdo it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Steve007101



Joined: 22 Mar 2005
Posts: 165
Location: IL, USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Napster is not "free" anymore. Does that answer your argument? They might not have stopped the bears but they at least put a tap on the honey and are now charging for a spoonful on their toast. If they can do the same to the fansubbers I'll be there with me credit card. knowing that at least the creator and original author will get his, or her share of the action.


Thank you. Exactly my point, put 2 and 2 together, or just look at one of my previous posts. I mean I've said it enough already, that's exactly what they should be doing, promoting their own form of legal, profitable fansubs like what Napster has done as an example in the music industry. That is, if they want to care about it.

Quote:
I think your supporting fansubs is your thing, but don't you think some of the things you say overdo it?


Well obviously I'm supporting fansubs (more like acknowledging you can't stop them), but for the owners especially, as Mohawk52 here helps illustrate my point, they need to get in on the action, not condem it entirely, it's the way things are going. And yeah you bet I overdue it, that's how I am when I argue lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steventheeunuch



Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Posts: 2973
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Steve, if what you're arguing for in general is for streaming (downloadable episodes might be an issue), subtitled or bilingual or what not (possibly ad supported) Anime episodes then I have to agree with that. Obviously, there are those who are still going to rip folk off because they can get it without adverts, but actually giving people a choice to view a larger majority of their Anime online (this includes backlogs of series etc) is the way of the future. Sure, the Japanese have some streaming Internet sites, however most of these (if not all) are unsubtitled and more often than not have bans placed on foreign, outside-of-Japan IP addresses which makes the situation completely moot as far as English-speaking audiences go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
epixeltwin



Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 325
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Steve, if what you're arguing for in general is for streaming (downloadable episodes might be an issue), subtitled or bilingual or what not (possibly ad supported) Anime episodes then I have to agree with that. Obviously, there are those who are still going to rip folk off because they can get it without adverts, but actually giving people a choice to view a larger majority of their Anime online (this includes backlogs of series etc) is the way of the future. Sure, the Japanese have some streaming Internet sites, however most of these (if not all) are unsubtitled and more often than not have bans placed on foreign, outside-of-Japan IP addresses which makes the situation completely moot as far as English-speaking audiences go.


Japanese speakers with ip spoofs can be so...Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger My Anime
Steventheeunuch



Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Posts: 2973
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:
Japanese speakers with ip spoofs can be so...Twisted Evil


Weeeeeeeell maybe I didn't take those folk into account, sorry Smile

Chances are though, most of the people getting fansubs don't actually understand Japanese anyway and gain no enjoyment from watching it unsubtitled for a longer ammount of time, so once again it's still a moot point for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve007101



Joined: 22 Mar 2005
Posts: 165
Location: IL, USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the support. Yes generally I imagine we might have the distributers here one day liscense most properties before they are even made into animes or as the anime starts, or the original distributors do this or whatever, so actual official subbed versions of anime can come out very close to if not at the same time they are released in Japan... or at least if they decided to make a big effort for that, streaming on the internet most likely yes and through a service, I think that'd make everyone's day. Then yes, one step above that would be the point when dubs, if say official subs in this way could become more popular especially, could also be released practically parralel to anime in Japan... Man, I'm quite optimistic, but I guess it's still possible... someday. The Anime industry though will probably have to become a bit more aggressive and more modern for it I imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group