• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Producer Open to More After 3rd Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chidori3souske

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Adamb15 wrote:
An interesting progression...
A half-season series, then compilation films then a sequel film, and now possibly back to a series format?

Why not go the now-popular route or GiTS: Arise and CG: Akito blah blah blah and have it be direct-to-theater movies?

I'd rather not cause waiting for a Japanese movie in this side of the world is suffering...we'll have to wait for the Blu-Rays to be released Anime cry
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
I believe them when they say they never planned this to go beyond a half-season. If they had, it wouldn't have had such a terrific ending. The TV series really pulled out all the stops; not what writers do when they have sequels on the brain.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
iirc, they really did plan madoka to be two coeurs, but planning might be an overstatement, it's mroe like they wanted it, but they tought it was likely to flop so they went for one coeur instead (in the early planning phases).
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you mean, maximillianjenus. They hadn't planned how long it would be until Urobuchi gave them the manuscript before the full script. At that point, it was planned at 13 episodes, and then they cut some content out of the 10th episode and a few snippets elsewhere to make the transitions smoothly with 12 episodes.

Urobuchi hadn't written the series with a sequel in mind, but it was brought up during the broadcast of the first series, and they started planning then. It wasn't until Urobuchi saw the finished product on television and Shinbo gave him an idea that he was actually able to think of and write a good sequel story for the 3rd movie. It was only going to be that movie, but then the creators, after seeing the popularity of the show in the public, recognizing its inaccessibility to a lot of people, decided to make the films so that everyone would have a chance to see them, and so that they'd all be in theater format.

Last year, around this time, they also mentioned that the third movie wasn't going to be the last of the story. And according to my girlfriend, who saw the new movie in Japan already, it is extremely apparent that the movie is not the last of the series to come.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
chidori3souske wrote:
Adamb15 wrote:
Why not go the now-popular route or GiTS: Arise and CG: Akito blah blah blah and have it be direct-to-theater movies?

I'd rather not cause waiting for a Japanese movie in this side of the world is suffering...we'll have to wait for the Blu-Rays to be released ;_;

Why is that a problem? The Yamato 2199 movies were released in a limited set of theaters, and then (generally) on disc a month later. I think that GitS:Arise was similar, and I haven't paid any attention to Code Geass. That release concept works for me, and there's very little wait.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Why is that a problem? The Yamato 2199 movies were released in a limited set of theaters, and then (generally) on disc a month later. I think that GitS:Arise was similar, and I haven't paid any attention to Code Geass. That release concept works for me, and there's very little wait.

The Yamato 2199 movies are/were niche-market releases, even for the anime crowd, so they did that to keep them relevant and keep them going and capitalize on them. Things like Madoka, evidently, are much bigger and, thus, are best fit to waiting their time out for upgrades and such from the theater release. The market in Japan is completely different than in the West.
FLAZE35

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait till I've seen the third movie (and since I'm not seeing it in theaters, that's going to be a while) to decide whether another season would be considered milking or not. My definition of milking isn't based off number of episodes/movies, it's based off whether or not the new season adds anything to the story.
Gohan22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's technically more that they can do. There's possible stories to tell about dealing with the wraiths. They could explore some of the fallout/unintended consequences from Madoka's wish. They could develop the other girls more, etc. There are possibilities, it wasn't a completely closed ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2