• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray Kickstarter Meets Pledge Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. I love Bubblegum Crisis and would definitely triple-dip to get these Blu-Rays.

Echo_City wrote:
My fingers are still crossed for a new English dub, preferably one which uses Seraphim with as much of the original cast and staff of the Tokyo 2040 dub as possible.

The 2040 English dub cast wouldn't really fit the original BGC cast. Not that the characters are entirely different, but they're not quite the same, either. Not to mention that, at least, in my opinion, the 2040 cast was only marginally better than the original BGC English dub cast, which was pretty bad. Other than Christine Auten and Hillary Haag, there I can't think of a VA among them who delivered.

I'd actually like to see Ocean take this on, if possible. Marÿke Hendrikse would do just as well as Priss as she did as Revy in Black Lagoon. And Shannon Chan-Kent would be a great Nene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Sickvisionz: FFS, people, there is no difference between putting up money on Kickstarter vs. Anime Sols.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:
It's amazing how they were able to reach their goal with 26 days to spare while meanwhile at AnimeSols Arrow http://animesols.com/

The series helps but I really think being on Kickstarter vs a site thats like kickstarter but isn't turns a decent amount of people off. Plus, the super long donation window removes urgency and can lead to people forgetting about the series existing.

I think a major factor is also that with AS you are only pledging for a part of a show. With the BC Kickstarter you are getting the complete show. AS should really be looking at doing complete sets, not parts.

They are of course much bigger shows. But still I am not going to pledge for a part and being unsure I can get the rest. Just look at Yawara! Also just look at Creamy Mami, very doubtful Set 2 is going to get funded. http://animesols.com/videos/101, Not even halfway with 5 days to go. Silly, silly setup.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:
It's amazing how they were able to reach their goal with 26 days to spare while meanwhile at AnimeSols Arrow http://animesols.com/

The series helps but I really think being on Kickstarter vs a site thats like kickstarter but isn't turns a decent amount of people off. Plus, the super long donation window removes urgency and can lead to people forgetting about the series existing.

I am too quite surprised, it reached its goal at light speed, I thought it was not gonna make it honestly.

But as an older anime lover, I am quite happy the west has so much love for older quality anime, if only Japan was had some of this entusiam for the older anime spirit.....well, cannot complain that much, currently quite a number of older revival and with sucess, but I WANT MORE!
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Also just look at Creamy Mami, very doubtful Set 2 is going to get funded. http://animesols.com/videos/101, Not even halfway with 5 days to go. Silly, silly setup.

Shocked Awwww no, say it isn't so! Sad I pledged for Set 1 and 2 a long while back, I figured it was a shoe-in to get funded the whole way through, but I hadn't checked in on it until just now. My guess is that some of the big donors for the first set didn't go big again for the second (or maybe they expected to receive set 1 first before the 2nd set would go live, and didn't realize the funding for the 2nd set had already started?) Anyways, that's a very disappointing turn of news, I'm very sad to find that out. Crying or Very sad
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that exceeded my expectations. I'm definitely pledging for this. I don't need anything fancy, but... I loves me some classic anime.

AD Police would be my first choice for a stretch goal, because I'm such a huge fan of that little OVA, owning it on Blu-ray would be awesome. Hopefully they'll be able to include Crash too. I wonder what's going on with that.

The next would definitely be a new English dub. The existing dub, while commendable for the time and helping to bring the show to the states (although there are better dubs from that era), doesn't hold up at all anymore, quite fantastically too since AD Police's still does IMO. My main issue was with the Knight Sabers who all sounded like 40-year-old housewives, and Leon sounded too old. I would compare it to Resident Evil's voice acting, only without the narm charm and laughable dialogue. It's just bad.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
How ever did AnimEigo have trouble selling BGC to need Kickstarter? Laughing

doubleO7 wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:
I know I for one would rather the BD didn't have any English dub at all. Anime is no place for English audio.

Ha, says you. There wouldn't be much of a North American anime market in the first place if not for English dubbed anime Rolling Eyes

Plus, options are always a good thing. They would've been stupid to not include their readily available English dub in addition to subs. More viewing options = more people interested in owning the set which = more money for Animeigo. Including both is a win-win situation.

Plus particularly BGC borrows much from the English cyberpunk Blade Runner among its influences.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:

And the economics of peer pressure, similar way PBS funding works - the more people see pledging, the more they feel like pledging too.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Would have loved a combo pack, but I understand why AnimEigo went BD-only with the new set. $50 isn't a bad price for a great series on Blu, so I pledged at the basic gets-you-the-thing-you're-supporting level.

I've got the most recent BGC DVD set, and it will be nice to have another option for sharing classic anime with friends. In a way, I'm making my own combo pack.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this succeed. Now all I need is for Bee and the Puppycat's Kickstarter to succeed lol

I think a new dub would be cool for this, but I wanna see some other stretch goals first before we start stretching for a dub.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
So is this actually going to be sold by distributors, or is only the people who pledged going to get it.

Still waiting for my Time of Eve: The Movie and Black Jack Season 1 which I helped fund...and aren't sure whether or not I'll actually get.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd actually like to see Ocean take this on, if possible. Marÿke Hendrikse would do just as well as Priss as she did as Revy in Black Lagoon. And Shannon Chan-Kent would be a great Nene.
Please don't joke around like that as it caused me undue strife because it took me a second to realize that you were trolling me with that Ocean Group suggestion. With the 2 actors, or more aptly "actors", mentioned I should have known but, well, text lacks inflection and so I take it at face value too often. Though if you'd said that they should get Studiopolis to dub this, with Christine Marie Cabanos as a main character, then I believe that I would have known right off the bat that you were trollin'.

I'd prefer a dub which creates the illusion that the actors are conversing with one another, rather than the reality that they're (more often than not) more-or-less cold-reading their lines in a vacuum. Sentai has demonstrated that they have this capability, when they want to use it. While Ocean has that capability it certainly wasn't on display in what I've seen of the Black Lagoon dub (Studiopolis lacks the ability). Which reminds me, which version of the Tokyo 2040 dub did you hear?
Quote:
In a way, I'm making my own combo pack.
If only Funimation could convince other anime companies that combo packs are the way to go. Funi is, in this regard, like the enlightened philosopher in the old tale of the philosopher and the cave (only there's no way that the other companies could beat down Funi) Sad

As much of an advocate of the new dub that I am (spurred on by the blind anti-dub rage going around elsewhere), I would actually prefer the animation be cleaned up first. There were some serious shortcomings and shortcuts. A big example of this is the "animation" of Priss' band "playing"; would accurate, intricate animations of the musicianship be too much to ask?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
How ever did AnimEigo have trouble selling BGC to need Kickstarter? Laughing

This is what I was wondering about, myself. This whole thing sounds like a "Well, we could do this but, you know..." action on their part; Rereleasing a short OVA series onto a new HD format, so risky, such a daring action on their part.

"Is there an audience for this?" AnmiEigo asks by going through the embarrassment of prefunding. Dunno, depends on how big an audience you want but I think $75,000 is actually on the small side for this title; It's not obscure, it's been released not only on DVD but also VHS and it's audience has only been building outside of Japan where anime doesn't have to be the newest and fastest title.

Still, this goes back to my problems with Kickstarter, if you have no faith in the product you release, get out of the publishing business. It's bad enough when you have Indies with primary releases but this is a property they've already published.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I pledged $50-it's well worth it to me to have it on bluray-FINALLY!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Please don't joke around like that as it caused me undue strife because it took me a second to realize that you were trolling me with that Ocean Group suggestion. With the 2 actors, or more aptly "actors", mentioned I should have known but, well, text lacks inflection and so I take it at face value too often. Though if you'd said that they should get Studiopolis to dub this, with Christine Marie Cabanos as a main character, then I believe that I would have known right off the bat that you were trollin'.

I was dead serious. I'd prefer if BGC at least doesn't get dubbed in Texas by Funimation or Sentai and California anime dubs have taken a back seat, though I know Bang Zoom and the like are somewhat active in video games. Why not give Ocean, who has produced an excellent dub for Black Lagoon, and the cast returning for the latest OVA, another shot at a relatively big name project?

If not, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn might make a decent Sylia Stingray in the case of an American West Coast dub. Or in the case of NYAV, sampling from different areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
This is what I was wondering about, myself. This whole thing sounds like a "Well, we could do this but, you know..." action on their part; Rereleasing a short OVA series onto a new HD format, so risky, such a daring action on their part.

"Is there an audience for this?" AnmiEigo asks by going through the embarrassment of prefunding. Dunno, depends on how big an audience you want but I think $75,000 is actually on the small side for this title; It's not obscure, it's been released not only on DVD but also VHS and it's audience has only been building outside of Japan where anime doesn't have to be the newest and fastest title.

Still, this goes back to my problems with Kickstarter, if you have no faith in the product you release, get out of the publishing business. It's bad enough when you have Indies with primary releases but this is a property they've already published.

There's nothing embarrassing about pre-funding, only if you fail to reach the goal --- and even then, being embarrassed is a much better place to be at than to be publishing at a monetary loss (the former you can walk away from, the latter could shut your business down). I think Kickstarter is a brilliant economic model, that considerably reduces publishing risks and helps close the gap between the publisher and the consumer. It's easy, after the Kickstarter has successfully funded, to scoff at Animeigo for not judging the market correctly. But imagine if the Kickstarter had failed to reach its goal --- then everyone would have said instead, "gee, it's a good thing they didn't try to print $75k worth of Blu-Ray sets, they would have lost money". What's great about Kickstarter is that it takes away the need for any of that sort of speculation, and makes for a win/win situation where the publisher doesn't have to worry about potentially running at a loss, and where consumers have more leeway in determining the nature of the product they want to purchase.

Not to mention, I do think that the very nature of the Kickstarter model has a positive influence over the purchasing decisions of the end-consumer. I think the whole process changes how customers view their purchases --- in the Kickstarter model, funders are basically patrons actively commissioning for the creation of a good, instead of passive consumers buying it from a distance. I think it actually increases the appreciation for (and perceived value of) the product, which becomes less of a sterile commercial item and more a physical manifestation of a development process that you can be a direct part of.

Animeigo's anime publishing has been on a steady decline for some time, so it's exciting to see such an immediate success for them with the Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter. I'm glad for them and for the project, and I hope it'll help to rekindle their presence in the industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5