• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray Kickstarter Meets Pledge Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
So is this actually going to be sold by distributors, or is only the people who pledged going to get it.

Still waiting for my Time of Eve: The Movie and Black Jack Season 1 which I helped fund...and aren't sure whether or not I'll actually get.

If you check the Time of Eve Kickstarter updates it was confirmed that the set wont ship until early 2014 in order include more bonus material. It was a licensing thing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
You wanna really know why Anime Sols doesn't do well? Because a lot of you jerk-offs sit on the fence and only swoop in to get your merch after everyone else paid to see the goal reached. And if the goal isn't reached, you feign ignorance that you "didn't get told sooner", when you read ANN updates all the time. So stop lying. Not to mention that Sols gives you at least twice the amount of time to crowdfund as KS.

partially: You're not getting the complete BGC, because you're still missing out on Crash. [And if you wanna go there, AD Police.]
Also, as Animeigo pointed out, Yawara failed precisely because no one supported the first boxset.

Echo: If other companies could afford to price combo packs as cheaply as FUNi, then I'm sure they'd follow.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Still waiting for my Time of Eve: The Movie and Black Jack Season 1 which I helped fund...and aren't sure whether or not I'll actually get.

As per the Kickstarter page; Estimated delivery: Feb 2014. If you can't be bothered to read what you're signing up for, don't complain.
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Great. Now can we go back to saving Anime Sols, please?

Yes I do agree with that 100% please let's help them Anime hyper

Animeigo and Anime Sols' success will decided the fate of using crowdfunding for bringing more Animeclassics in the future.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

As per the Kickstarter page; Estimated delivery: Feb 2014. If you can't be bothered to read what you're signing up for, don't complain.

What makes you think I didn't already know that? I get the emails too. Besides, promises and estimates are one thing, delivering results is another.
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
The first episode of BGC on a VHS copy was my gateway drug to "real" anime (no dubs, no subs) so how could I not participate in this kickstarter project...

AD Police Files on BD would be excellent. Crash would be ok too. Even a BD release of BGC 2040 would be cool.

Want to go crazy? How about that awesome AD Police TV series.... errr let's forget that one.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

I am too quite surprised, it reached its goal at light speed, I thought it was not gonna make it honestly.

But as an older anime lover, I am quite happy the west has so much love for older quality anime, if only Japan was had some of this entusiam for the older anime spirit.....well, cannot complain that much, currently quite a number of older revival and with sucess, but I WANT MORE!

The Bugglegum Crisis bluray has already been in out in Japan for 5 years. They also get the bluray or remastered versions of all older anime before the US does, if they even make it over in the first place.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
^ Dragon Ball Z was released on Blu-ray here before Japan. They're about to start up again here. Still no BD in Japan.
Bamble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Animeigo's anime publishing has been on a steady decline for some time, so it's exciting to see such an immediate success for them with the Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter. I'm glad for them and for the project, and I hope it'll help to rekindle their presence in the industry.

No kidding, I thought they were done with anime for good after letting 90% of their licenses expire. It was getting to the point where I was wondering why they were still holding on to Bubblegum Crisis. Guess we know why now!

It would be nice to think the speed of the Kickstarter campaign might spur them back into active anime licensing, but I think this will still be the exception rather than the rule of their live-action samurai film releases, etc.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mr. Sickvisionz: FFS, people, there is no difference between putting up money on Kickstarter vs. Anime Sols.

FFS, don't act like the only possible difference between the two is the technical process of entering/charging your credit card.

Kickstarter is all over the news and you hear about it on the internet all the time across all manner of content, whether it be video games, anime, books, photography equipment, music, etc. Animesols is some random site nobody has ever heard of and looks low budget and kinda suspect compared to Kickstarter or other legal video streaming sites.

Technically they may operate the same for processing transactions but that isn't the only metric people use to make a decision.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
Mr. Sick:
Quote:
Animesols is some random site nobody has ever heard of and looks low budget and kinda suspect compared to Kickstarter or other legal video streaming sites.

It's supported by the Japanese licensors themselves.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
nech: If FOX can "remake" it into Almost Human, it can't be that bad. Rolling Eyes

Oh, yes, because AD Police was the title that originated that idea. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ Dragon Ball Z was released on Blu-ray here before Japan. They're about to start up again here. Still no BD in Japan.

That's because DBZ is one of FUNi's bread and butter titles, no one's going to license and release the likes of Zeorymer, Giant Robo, Devilman, Borgman, Dancouga, Layzner, Ideon, Arion, Cockpit, Urusei Yatsura, Angel's Egg, Five Star Stories, Arcadia of My Youth, and maybe even Lodoss any time soon. Though perhaps once more BD releases take off they'll start more Kickstarter campaigns to get the OVAs and movies over, I won't hold my breath for TV series that haven't been licensed before.

GATSU wrote:
It's supported by the Japanese licensors themselves.

Look, for the sake of comparison, Kickstarter is Facebook and AnimeSols is Friendster. One gets all the traffic, people didn't even know the other one existed. And just because it's officially supported doesn't mean it can't look sketchy and suspect.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Key: It pretty much is the same concept as AD Police: To Protect and Serve, except FOX decided to incorporate racial condescension for cheap laughs, since it worked out so well with Dads, I guess. I imagine we'll see Boomer knock-offs soon enough, too, if it ever gets that far.

walw:
Quote:
Look, for the sake of comparison, Kickstarter is Facebook and AnimeSols is Friendster.

Uh, Friendster preceded Facebook. They even said it in that movie. Also, it had a clunky interface. Sols, OTOH, is pretty damned easy to use, and gives people twice as much time to support a crowdfunder as Kickstarter. So I think anime fans are just looking for any kind of excuse to see AS fail, just because it doesn't have a trendy name. And anyone who's chosen to continue watching fansubs of these shows on Youtube, rather than support legit versions through AS, has no right to be calling the latter "sketchy and suspect".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
You missed the point. Go ask someone what they think of Friendster, your response will be "What the hell is Friendster?"

Kickstarts get more funding because Kickstarter is a more well known site visited by people who aren't already in the know like we are. This you can at least admit, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5