• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Serial Experiments Lain BD/DVD Box Delayed 4 Months

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Ooo, I didn't even know another set was being released. I guess I'll wait to get this one, since while I enjoy the series, I don't feel a great need to pay $90 is I don't have to.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I missed the news that it was getting a Classics rerelease at such a low(er) price.

Glad I held off on the collectors set.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
Either way it wasn't going to be out in time for Christmas...
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Yeah, I missed the news that it was getting a Classics rerelease at such a low(er) price.

If you don't mind missing out on the 300-page artbook and the translated restoration booklet, I can see why you'd want to wait, but the collector's edition was definitely worth it for the $50 I picked it up for new from amazon.com.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
This is nice and all, and a nice way for people who haven't watched it to get it cheaper. As a massive franchise fan, however, the LE boxset was well worth it, what with the commentary/production booklet and surprisingly massive design book.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

If you don't mind missing out on the 300-page artbook and the translated restoration booklet,

Extras like that aren't important to me. Especially on a Blu-ray set that's an Upscale with questionable video quality. Even if its the best looking it will ever be.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know this was getting yet another release. I've been debating whether I should try to track down the previous set with the artbook before it goes out of print.

I do like the cover art on the new release, though.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Extras like that aren't important to me. Especially on a Blu-ray set that's an Upscale with questionable video quality. Even if its the best looking it will ever be.

Lain isn't an upscale except for the opening/ending and like a couple scenes, most of the film was scanned in HD and the digital scenes were also recreated in HD. It definitely has sub par video quality though because of the brightness/gamma levels being too high and the color banding.

There is the question of if Funi are doing a new encode for this re-release to correct those issues. If they do, I'd replace my limited edition set for it.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
I didn't even know this was getting yet another release. I've been debating whether I should try to track down the previous set with the artbook before it goes out of print.

I do like the cover art on the new release, though.

I wasn't expecting another release ether. I managed to track down the edition with the art book, definitely worth it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Lain isn't an upscale except for the opening/ending and like a couple scenes, most of the film was scanned in HD and the digital scenes were also recreated in HD. It definitely has sub par video quality though because of the brightness/gamma levels being too high and the color banding.

There is the question of if Funi are doing a new encode for this re-release to correct those issues. If they do, I'd replace my limited edition set for it.

Interesting. I also hope its problems are corrected on the rerelease.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Funimation and delay in the same article, who wouldve thought. That said Ill probably try to find a cheap copy of the first release, it comes with a "nice" artbox verses the crappy slip cover.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

If you don't mind missing out on the 300-page artbook and the translated restoration booklet,

Funimation's limited edition release is not the best Lain will ever look, because their transfer is inferior. I own it, and am satisfied because it looks nice on my shelf and comes with some neat production books. The extras are the only reason to own the limited edition for me. When I watch the series, I use a fansubbed release that looks like it's supposed to. Funimation's release doesn't look bad, exactly, unless you're a videophile, but it doesn't look as good as it could or, frankly, should.

But yeah, Lain is mostly on cel and redone CG, and it looks great in high definition as it should. Just a bit less great in Funimation's release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1