• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Popular Japanese Folk Monsters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I think the Pokemon Froslass is based on yuki-onna.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Where the hell is Kyuubi aka Fox Youkai which are easily the most recongizable Japanese folk monster in no small part thanks to Naruto. I mean fox demons appear in every show you have listed as an example and a lot more. And the nine tails version is probably the most iconic form of any of the demons listed.

Some other examples are Watanuki's father and son friends who own a food cart in the spirit realm, and his devoted pal the Pipe Fox in xxxHOLiC who gets him out of several scrapes when Domeki isn't around to do it. He's pretty awesome.

My favorite Fox Youkai has unfortunately not shown up in animated form: Ten-Chan from the Petshop of Horrors manga, one of the few residents of D's shop who you could actually run into with a reasonable expectation that it won't go very, very badly. Unless I'm forgetting something he's only in two chapters, but he's a hoot and makes quite an impression when he does show up and seems interesting enough that he could carry a limited series on his own. One can only hope that a fully realized Petshop anime including Ten-Chan, T-Chan and Chris might be made someday.
Alph4Xerxes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
What, no tanuki? You put in nue, which I hadn't even heard of, but not oni, zakishi warashi, shinigami, etc? I would have thought them all more popular/well-known Confused
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The Oni didn't get mention, which were the insperation for Lum & her family in Urusei Yatsura.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Alph4Xerxes wrote:
What, no tanuki? You put in nue, which I hadn't even heard of, but not oni, zakishi warashi, shinigami, etc? I would have thought them all more popular/well-known Confused

They definitely are, but I've written about Death Gods before and Oni could probably have their own article. As for Kitsune (mentioned by a previous poster) that was just a personal choice to exclude. I think they're over done and wanted to highlight some lesser known monsters that still show up regularly.

nargun wrote:
Incidentally the tsuchigumo weren't just people who didn't adhere to the imperial court, but the indigenous [emishi] population after the conquest of touhoku in the late eighth century. See ashitaka from princess mononoke.

I think it's been suggested that the name came from their living in pit houses rather than the [unsuited for the climate, let's be honest] platform structures of the yamato-japanese. Which... yeah. Thousand-year-old racist stereotypes, yay.

Also true! I didn't have enough space to go into as much detail on that as I would have liked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
What about Chief from Arakawa under the Bridge, he's a Kappa. *trollface*
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
No mention of a kodama. I am sad.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Really interesting list this week! I for one didn't know about the tsuchigumo monsters-- the only show I know the term from is Otogi Zoshi, which used the original sense.

Hmm, this brings a whole new meaning to the spider motif of the Phantom Troupe in Hunter x Hunter, too...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Where the hell is Kyuubi aka Fox Youkai which are easily the most recongizable Japanese folk monster in no small part thanks to Naruto. I mean fox demons appear in every show you have listed as an example and a lot more. And the nine tails version is probably the most iconic form of any of the demons listed.

Some other examples are Watanuki's father and son friends who own a food cart in the spirit realm, and his devoted pal the Pipe Fox in xxxHOLiC who gets him out of several scrapes when Domeki isn't around to do it. He's pretty awesome.

My favorite Fox Youkai has unfortunately not shown up in animated form: Ten-Chan from the Petshop of Horrors manga, one of the few residents of D's shop who you could actually run into with a reasonable expectation that it won't go very, very badly. Unless I'm forgetting something he's only in two chapters, but he's a hoot and makes quite an impression when he does show up and seems interesting enough that he could carry a limited series on his own. One can only hope that a fully realized Petshop anime including Ten-Chan, T-Chan and Chris might be made someday.

list of anime manga with foxes in them
- Yu Yu Hakusho - Kurama
- Nura Rise
- Rosario Vamp
- Naruto
- otome Youkai Zakuro
- inu boko
- inukami - main female is a fox not an inukami
- Natsume's book of friends
- bleach
- problem childrend from another world
- high school dxd
- kanokon
- dog days (they are not spirts but one is a humaniod fox basically the equivalent of a fox spirit)
- our home fox deity
- Kamisama Hajimemashita

etc. basically if some kind of human form animal spirits appear in a show it will have foxes, but apparently none of these shows count, and OP conveniently skipped over my last post
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
No fox, no oni, no tanuki, this is madness.

Some lesser known ones that can be used are nuraihyon, yatagarasu, and every haunted house in every anime theme park has that lady with the really long neck coming out of a well in it.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, after reading that description of tengu, I'm wondering if that was the inspiration for the demon form of Neuro from Matantei Nogami Neuro?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
We got some Air Master love going on here. I guess that would be the list of tall women. Yeah, Maki was pretty damn big. Now there's a series I wouldn't mind seeing release. Hey Discotek!!!

I've seen quite a bit of anime where foxes, cats and frogs are often recurring. Frogs end up being somewhat less known unless you know the tale and how they relate to ninja's. Think it's the whole Miyamoto tale of ninjas. But kitsune's be it just a fox creature or a powerful ninetails seem to show up quite bit.

Pokemon - Vulpix (Rokon) Ninetales (Kykon) also, Meowth and Persian, has a double tale like a Nekomata.
Digimon Tamers - Renamon
Persona 4 -Yosuke Hanamura's persona Jiraya
My-HiME - Akira's child Gennai

The phoenix and dragon are popular folk monsters as well.

Pokemon, Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix, and of course Dragon Ball.

Ah, yes 'Hell Teacher Nubei' was full of supernatural students. Then there's Shigeru Mizuki's GeGeGe no Kitaro series. But for the most modern take on monsters, there's 'Petopeto-san.

Ushio & Tora had, all kinds of crazy monsters but the one that stood out in the OVA was the "kamaitachi' (sickle weasles) clan.

Wicked City had kumo onna, the creepy spider women. Yes, the famous scene from the 80's that left male viewers grabbing their "junk" in fear. SHE'S A MAN EATER!!

Urusei Yatsura, Shuten Doji, My-HiME and whole host of others that contain oni.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
It would be cool if you did the top 7 most emotional fights/battles. I'd love to read that list. Please!
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
and OP conveniently skipped over my last post

Actually, I "conveniently" addressed your post if you read above. No need to get antagonistic.

KENZICHI wrote:
It would be cool if you did the top 7 most emotional fights/battles. I'd love to read that list. Please!

That's a great idea, thanks for the suggestion! I'll probably have to pull out some back log otherwise it'll be full of Utena Smile
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Incidentally the tsuchigumo weren't just people who didn't adhere to the imperial court, but the indigenous [emishi] population after the conquest of touhoku in the late eighth century. See ashitaka from princess mononoke.

Actually, the term 'tsuchigumo' had been already used earlier than Sakanoue no Tamuramaro's capturing Isawa in Tōhoku.
And, area-wise, the term 'tsuchigumo' was also applied to people who were not emishi, lived in western areas in Japan and didn't tender their submission to the Imperial Court.

Bungo no Kuni Fudoki says:
Quote:
時 於此村有女人 名曰速津媛 爲其處之長 卽聞天皇行幸 親自奉迎 奏言 此山有大磐窟 名曰鼠磐窟 土蜘蛛二人住之 其名曰靑白 又 於直入郡禰疑野 有土蜘蛛三人 其名曰打猨八田國摩侶 是五人 竝爲人强暴 衆類亦多在 悉皆謠云 不從皇命 若强喚者 興兵距焉

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3