• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach - [adult swim] broadcast.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
This thread has been dead for a year, but I thought I'd revive it in light of what happened in this weekend's episode because it included a pretty big moment. So, did anyone foresee spoiler[Gin pulling a Snape?]. I have to admit I was surprised. I thought the fallout was extremely well done, with his thoughts superimposed over the visual of Rangiku's reaction when she realized exactly what he'd done - and possibly even why - too late. I thought it was one of the best scenes in the series so far.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling we'll see Gin in the manga again at some point. He died a hero.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I have been anticipating a stunt like that for a long, long time. Something about Gin's attitude and behavior concerning Aizen has always bothered me a bit; he always seemed too lackadaisical about his duties, and his comment to Rangiku way back in episode 62 - about how he was sorry he couldn't remain her prisoner longer - seemed a little too sincere to be purely playful. That Aizen didn't anticipate that betrayal, even though he anticipated nearly everything else, is either incongruous with his character or a sign of how supremely well Gin played the century-long bluff.

And boy, did that Ichigo/Aizen confrontation give me a "Goku vs. Frieza" vibe. Fortunately it doesn't look like this will drag on that long; the upcoming episode titles suggest that #309, next week's episode, will be the climax and #310 will be the clean-up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fortunately it doesn't look like this will drag on that long;.

I can't believe I read those words in a Bleach thread.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, we are talking about the culmination of a story arc that, technically speaking, has been indirectly going on since episode 1 and directly going on since the early 100s (minus regular interruptions along the way, of course) and we're now going to #309.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I know he's like the most powerful being in existence, but it's hard to see him as a threat now that he looks like a fairy
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I believe it's episode 314 when this arc finally finishes, right up to the point of spoiler[Ichigo saying goodbye to Rukia because of his loss of Soul Reaper characteristics].
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That Aizen didn't anticipate that betrayal, even though he anticipated nearly everything else, is either incongruous with his character or a sign of how supremely well Gin played the century-long bluff.

Probably a little bit of both - Gin playing the dirty rat so well and Aizen being arrogant enough that he couldn't imagine anyone else (but himself, of course) having the willpower to lay out a plan, keep up the act and wait a century for the right moment to carry it out.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
that was a somewhat disappointing ending to the fight. I had hoped that Ichigo's spoiler[new final form would be enough to finally kill Aizen, but nope. ]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Actually, I was pretty satisfied with how it happened because spoiler[no villain as strong as Aizen was should be defeatable single-handedly.] Sounds like the next four episodes or so are being used to wrap everything up, so I'm interested to see what all of the fall-out will be. Not sure how enthusiastic I am about the arc which comes after it, given what I've heard about it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Kubo made the guy way too powerful
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I have just experienced a horrible thing.

In big scale story, Bleach is one of the dumbest shonen projects, ever: spoiler[a young woman gets kidnapped and annoying ever-screaming guy and the team go to save her].

This is whole thing for all 366 episodes, and it is repeated there TWICE. I literally do not know anything dumber than that.

But I just watched standalone animated film "Bleach: Memories of Nobody", and, guess what, the story is the same AGAIN. And the excuse for the key event was so lame and artificial that I was rolling eyes and facepalming good portion of this "feature".

Still, despite all of this, I rated Bleach as Good. Unlike Naruto and Hunter X Hunter, there is nothing really clever on tactical level in Bleach, but it is not disastrous, it is good enough. Besides, some characters do have cool magic, and some pieces of music are really strong, and visual design of many characters is uniquely original and elegant, a true work or art. Thus it is totally understandable why this project can be a collectable.

EDIT: I now have watched all four standalone Bleach films. Three of them have the same plot device as described -- it is amazing. Though the last film, Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse, is better than previous ones; I rated it as "Very good".
SaiyanYasha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Bleach is OK i guess. even though there are moments that don't cater into the storyline most of the time, it has likeable characters with Renji being my personal favorite. Wink and if there's one actress on this anime i love the most it would have to be Michelle Ruff. her role as Rukia does Flatter me in the slightest bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 107 of 107