• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Real-Life' K-ON: Fans Make Map, TV Show Scouts Real Band

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akukame

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I always thought Scandal as a real life K-On. I mean, they probably pre-date K-On (Manga released in 2007, Anime 2009, scandal was formed back in 2006 or 2007).

If I recall correctly, back when they first performed at Sakuracon, 2 of them had just graduated from HS in like March, and it was now the first week of April and they were touring in the US. Their drummer not even graduating from HS till 2010. They were 4 HS girls forming a band after school, making a name for themselves by pop-y rock music. They were performing in what I believe was their actual HS uniforms.

That concert was an memorable experience btw. They were doing a half concert opposite another band. The MC originally told the crowd not to get too rowdy and stay in their seats (I don't know if they had any trouble the previous year). Thus, people were just kind of sitting there during the first performance. Then Scandal comes on stage. And they're complete nobodies. And indie group, that had released their first indie single only a week or two before going on tour in america. Nobody had even really seen their faces, since Tokyopop was promoting them through cartoon images of them. But by midway through the first song, you started to see people get up and start cheering. The build up in energy was like a scene directly out of a movie, with the entire crowd screaming "I love you scandal" and erupting into an encore chant by the end.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This is like Map of the Stars in Hollywood. Now everybody is trying to make a buck. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1