• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Chain Seeking Deal to Avoid Store Closures

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm still predicting a Chapter 7 Liquidation by August.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this works out for them, I don't want to have to buy all my manga from Amazon and Right Stuff.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Good luck. I think the very concept of a store that only sells books has proven itself to be a failed one in today's modern world. I think the only ones that will be alive are ones like the Central Park book store that's like 6 stories tall and covers like an acre of land. If there's no spectacle about it, I don't think anyone other than a tiny group of hardcore fans will be into it.

Sewingrose wrote:
I really hope this works out for them, I don't want to have to buy all my manga from Amazon and Right Stuff.

Why not? It would probably cost you way less money.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
They really need this if they dont it mite be hard to manga soon
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this affects me much at all. I buy all my manga thru amazon and I usually save 4-5 dollars a volume not to mention getting free 2 day shipping w/ prime.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

I figured late next month, but I too think they will be going to file chapter 7 liquidation as well.

With the vast amount of money Borders continues to lose monthly, I think the best move for them is chapter 7.

But since there literally is no Borders close to where I live (even some what close now) I've been buying my manga through Amazon and it's not only cheaper, it's faster and significantly much less work.

I wonder though, how is Barns and Noble doing these days? I heard recently that they aren't doing as well as they were previously, so I am not really sure about them either.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote
Really, this is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Bookstores are the rare business in which the little guys are the ones who will survive -- mainly because they sell used books.

Oh, and Barnes and Noble -- I see water creeping up your bow, too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
It seems now ya only need brick-and-mortar stores if ya want something quick, as in right now.

Otherwise, order it, like we order everything else now. Laughing
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Sewingrose wrote:

Why not? It would probably cost you way less money.

Not when I buy one or two volumes a week with my coupons that arrive along with my 10% membership.

Sometimes I want to get a feel of the book, sample the experience of looking at art and text in the printed form, before I'm sure I want to spend my money. Also I like to check the translations for some titles to see if they are better then the scanlations I read before it was licensed or published (almost always, but I've been burned once or twice so I check, especially with smaller titles).

Like with the annoyingness with the reprints of the first 20 or so volumes of One Piece have this little label for arcs they didn't have before, and I'm OCD enough to want them all to look the same.

Yeah for big buys Amazon is great, but it takes about a week for the stuff to get here, and sometimes that is far to slow. When I buy something, I want it then.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
It's a shame, I love Borders.

And, am I the only one that likes to browse?
Maybe I'm different, but a lot of the manga/novel titles I pick up are from browsing, and aren't something I'd normally pick up with out checking it out first.

I just hope they can survive all this. They've closed a few near me, but not the one in my town.

It's a Walden Books, have they closed any of those yet?
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
I praying Borders stays in business I one of thosr old foggies that likes wandering thru stores not knowing want I may find on the booksheves. I still find I hard,soft covers and paperbacks fine for my tastes and how much does a battery for a kindle or nook reader costs. And since Bud Plant drop it's it's manga section and Last Gasp manga section has dryed up and the comic book store closed at Plaza Las Americas I find it hard here to find graphic japanese novels and comics of any kind to find here in Puerto Rico in New York where I was born there wasn't and little shop that didn't have it's comic book rack. Sad
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope this all works out in Borders' favor. I love browsing their stores far more than I do Barnes & Noble.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CardcaptorKitty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Sometimes I want to get a feel of the book, sample the experience of looking at art and text in the printed form, before I'm sure I want to spend my money.

Yeah for big buys Amazon is great, but it takes about a week for the stuff to get here, and sometimes that is far to slow. When I buy something, I want it then.

Amen. I can wait for DVDs - I typically buy my DVDs online since most of the ones I want are either hard to find or always at retail price, so I expect to wait for them, but my manga is a different story. The thrill of walking into the bookstore, up to the manga aisle, to go through all the titles in person and see what's there and what's not, to debate over which ones to get and not to get, then make my way to the register and come home and snuggle up in bed to get ready to read... that's the fun of going shopping in person.

Online is like... I look at the picture of the cover and the description and the price in the cart. If I want to see the art, I have to either hope it's popular enough to warrant a few pages of preview, and if not, I have to go to a scanlations site or something to see if I like the art or if I find the story interesting enough to influence me to read past the initial few pages - or at least the first chapter or so. It kind of bugs me. I don't like blind buys. At least with DVDs, you can find legal streams online or something and then think, "Yeah, I'd like to own this." I get it's cheaper with discounts at some places but with shipping and the waiting... that adds up, between time and money. Since watching DVDs takes hours versus the half hour it takes to read a manga, I'd like to have my manga as soon as I see it. Otherwise the initial excitement kind of wears off - waited a week for a half hour of enjoyment versus waiting a week for several hours of marathoning or spreading it out and enjoying it slowly over several days.

The only time I've been buying manga online is if I want a series that's out of print and I can't get anywhere else. I'd hate if the only place I can look at my manga in person before actually buying it is a convention.

MrHatandClogs wrote:
It's a shame, I love Borders.

And, am I the only one that likes to browse?
Maybe I'm different, but a lot of the manga/novel titles I pick up are from browsing, and aren't something I'd normally pick up with out checking it out first.

I just hope they can survive all this. They've closed a few near me, but not the one in my town.

My thoughts exactly. And no, you're not the only one who likes to browse. I get a thrill out of walking through a bookstore of books I can potentially buy and keep all to myself rather than borrow and wind up with a time limit and maybe an overdue fee later.

Alas, this is all probably false hope, but I seriously hope it isn't.
ikuyias

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

I hope you are wrong, but I fear you could be right. Please bear with me everyone: Chapter 7 vs Chapter 13 & wth is Chapter 11?

Ch #7 is total bankruptcy and Ch #13 is reorganization? I have also heard mention of Ch #11. Is that related at all, and how, to the other two?

I sincerely hope Borders can crawl out of this hole they are in. It would be a shame if all their stores were to close and I hope they can reach an agreement & have both sides stick to it so that Borders can get back to selling books & such and not have to worry about bankruptcy anymore. They deserve to be in business, although they'd have to make some major changes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
ikuyias wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

I hope you are wrong, but I fear you could be right. Please bear with me everyone: Chapter 7 vs Chapter 13 & wth is Chapter 11?

Ch #7 is total bankruptcy and Ch #13 is reorganization? I have also heard mention of Ch #11. Is that related at all, and how, to the other two?

http://www.411bankruptcy.com/whatisbankruptcy.asp

Chapter 7 = liquidation, end of business

Chapter 11 = reorganization, with hope to continue the business

Chapter 13 = "individual debt consolidation" only for individuals
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2