Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto 11 Breaks Booklist Record


Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
The Naked Beast



Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 1028
Location: A Blue Planet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
As far as I know, Fruits Basket didn't air on Cartoon Network at all (I don't live in the US, so please don't strike me if I'm wrong). Sure, Naruto caters to a whole different audience than Fruits Basket, but airing on TV or just the anime being available in America could perhaps significantly increase the popularity of a license.
You are right, Fruits Basket was never aired on Cartoon Network. Thinking about it now, I do not think Cartoon Network has ever aired a shoujo series.

I wonder if Bleach will reach the list once it starts airing this fall. It is the Dragon Ball Z craze all over again except this time it is for the next generation of kids.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dargonxtc



Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 4463
Location: Nc5xd7+ スターダストの海洋
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
They were merely trying to establish cause and effect, chill out.

And yes it was on a one sided level.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116
Moderator


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 6464
Location: Kazune City
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
You are right, Fruits Basket was never aired on Cartoon Network. Thinking about it now, I do not think Cartoon Network has ever aired a shoujo series.

I wonder if Bleach will reach the list once it starts airing this fall. It is the Dragon Ball Z craze all over again except this time it is for the next generation of kids.
If CN's never aired a shoujo, what was Sailor Moon, then?

Bleach will air on Adult Swim, IIRC, so it probably won't be quite as widespread as Naruto. However, I think it's the kind of thing that will do well, and hopefully it'll spur manga and DVD sales.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast



Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 1028
Location: A Blue Planet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
If CN's never aired a shoujo, what was Sailor Moon, then?

Bleach will air on Adult Swim, IIRC, so it probably won't be quite as widespread as Naruto. However, I think it's the kind of thing that will do well, and hopefully it'll spur manga and DVD sales.
Cartoon Network aired that? I probably was too young to remember that. Cartoon Network has gone through a lot of changes since I started watching it including the logo, Toonami, Miguzi, and Adult Swim.

What does IIRC mean?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Royal Devil



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 194
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
If CN's never aired a shoujo, what was Sailor Moon, then?

Bleach will air on Adult Swim, IIRC, so it probably won't be quite as widespread as Naruto. However, I think it's the kind of thing that will do well, and hopefully it'll spur manga and DVD sales.
Cartoon Network aired that? I probably was too young to remember that. Cartoon Network has gone through a lot of changes since I started watching it including the logo, Toonami, Miguzi, and Adult Swim.

What does IIRC mean?


If I Remember Correctly.

And yes, Toonami in the Moltar days aired Sailormoon. I kinda miss those days Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
borricula



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I like Furuba better ; - ; so this news is a lil disheartening... but, all things considered, Furuba's doing pretty well. Naruto is the flavor of the moment, it was on TV, it's shonen and it appeals to a younger audience. Big points for them. Furuba has been in the U.S. for awhile now (anime: 2001) sooo the fact that it's still running strong is pretty impressive...
yah, I'm trying to think positive here... Embarassed but hey!!! All manga wins in this case!!! Wooohooo!!! Anime smile
Go bleach!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
I_AM_L



Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 138
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Bleach getting more popular would be pretty cool. My friends watched episode one, and they loved it. I WOULD have watched it, but I don't have CN. I have all the English manga volumes though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoodLuckSaturday



Joined: 30 Oct 2003
Posts: 567
Location: Indiana
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Negima! is still selling well. I was beginning to wonder if interest had faded on it, but I guess not after a solid top 100 showing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm



Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 286
Location: Georgia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
If CN's never aired a shoujo, what was Sailor Moon, then?

Bleach will air on Adult Swim, IIRC, so it probably won't be quite as widespread as Naruto. However, I think it's the kind of thing that will do well, and hopefully it'll spur manga and DVD sales.
Cartoon Network aired that? I probably was too young to remember that. Cartoon Network has gone through a lot of changes since I started watching it including the logo, Toonami, Miguzi, and Adult Swim.

What does IIRC mean?


Wow I feel really old. Yes Sailor Moon definately aired on CN way back in the day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
AstroNerdBoy



Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 407
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I'm glad Negima! is still selling well. I was beginning to wonder if interest had faded on it, but I guess not after a solid top 100 showing.


No, and I think we'll see it continue to grow. Once Peter David left the project, the title became more "fan friendly," which helped on top of the story. Of course, now that the super-long School Festival arc is running, I think there will be a higher ranking for each future volume as people eager to see what happens next rush to the store to buy. Just my prediction though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SoloButterfly



Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 238
Location: Masaki Residence
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm really surprised that Negima beat out FMA. I guess the release of the DVD and the airings of Negima on some carrier's OnDemand line up have helped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group