• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Too Many Gokus!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
No love for Forbidden Kingdom? It's like that movie just disappeared off the face of the earth!
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
On a separate subject, there are references to Journey to the West all over the place. I remember a Lupin III episode where Lupin plays the part of the monkey king.

Yes, Season 2 Episode 67. It was bizarre, even by Lupin standards. Journey to West is referenced enough in anime and wuxia that I kinda picked up the general character stereotypes, but I know little about the actual story. And I didn't realize how influential it was. Going to have to add it to my reading list.
BunnieHugger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
My favorite variation was a one-shot in an ep of "Love Hina" titled "Monkey Performance at the Seaside Teahouse Hinata: A Kiss?". Seems that a dramatization of the Saiyuki story is a tradition at the seaside tea house and, being "Love Hina," things go very wrong. Loved it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
What is one of the first animated Journey to the West story was the very first Chinese animated feature film, Princess Iron Fan (1941). Full of Disney influence (it was a response to Snow White) and rotoscoping it's a charming movie which tells one of the more popular stories in Journey faithfully. The copy I saw wasn't of great quality, which is probably typical of a seventy year old Chinese film produced during WW2. It'd be really nice if some preservationists did a big budget restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
My favorite version would be Dragon Ball. I don't know any of the others ( Embarassed ) and besides, I love Dragon Ball. Still, the author dropped the whole Journey to the West thing by arc 4.
snickersnack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
I like the title, a homonym - it's still pronounced "Saiyuki", just as the original story is in Japan, but the kanji translates to "Journey to Extremes."

Wow, thank you, Mike, for answering a ten-year-old question of mine! I showed Saiyuki to my (Taiwanese) parents when it came out here, since they used to tell me Journey to the West stories when I was a kid. When they saw the title, they murmured to each other, "They got it wrong! How embarrassing!" I told them that it must have been intentional, but neither my Chinese nor Japanese was good enough to say for sure.

Of course it's been so long that if I explained it to them now, they would just stare at me blankly. Razz
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I have a couple of good Journey to the West adaptation that are not anime, but they're worth watching. My mom watch the 1986 version in Vietnamese dub which you can find on Wikipedia. Here's the picture.

Also, other then watching Dragonball, I don't have any other anime based on Journey to the west. But I do know some western take on that famous story.

I think everybody should know The Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li.

Speaking of Jackie Chan, I remember Jackie Chan Adventure TV Show had the Monkey King as a bad guy.

Other western take included NBC and Scifi's Monkey King aka The Lost empire. Russell Wong played the Monkey King. It also has Thomas Gibson of Criminal Mind fame. Saw the movie on Syfy, my mom and I thought it was an interesting take on the story.

And recently a western game adaptation of the novel in a futuristic take, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

I tried the demo, it looks interesting. My mom has criticism of the game like Tripitaka is a women and not dressed properly and the devil dude is missing.

I like these western take on Journey to the West. I would like to see a Medieval European-style reimagine version of Journey to the West (or should I say Journey to the East). The monkey king and piggy can be knight/warrior, and tripitaka can be a priest. That would be a cool take on that.

Anyway, this is a cool article and probably one of the coolest Mike Toole article I've ever read. Is your next article going to be on anime/manga adaptation of Romance of the 3 kingdoms. Because I like those adaptation/reimagined version of those. To be honest, I always wanted to see what Romance of the 3 Kingdoms would look like in WW2-style or modern warfare-style setting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Since I've long grown up and beyond Dragon Ball, I almost feel slightly ashamed that the only thing mentioned that I've seen and enjoyed is the manga version of Gensomaden Saiyuki (get well soon, Ms. Minekura! And someone please pick up the rest of it!)

Took the words right out of my mouth, mate. Well, alright, almost. But close enough.

Mike wrote:
See, this is one of the many ways that anime is valuable - it exposes us to stories and myths we might not have otherwise sought out, and in doing so opens our eyes up to a larger world. After all, kids all over the world might not know all about the exploits of Hsuan-tsang and his companions, but they sure as hell know who Goku is.

It's Mike's closing words here that struck me as the most profound. They sum up an awful lot of how I see anime and why I've stuck with it and manga for so many years.

I was a huge fan of Shinzo when it aired on TV and I'll own it on DVD or VHS one day if it's the last thing my wallet does. Even then I knew the animation was bare-bones and yet I loved it. Saiyuki has a special place in my heart as a guilty-pleasure-with-a-plot type of thing, so I'm also hoping to own it in its entirety someday.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually like to watch the Japanese version of Mushrambo. I can tell the English version Shinzo had a lot of stuff cut to avoid "scaring" kids with mention of death and wanting to kill others (typical PG America, sigh).

Well I can't think of anything animated adaptation, but I can mention the video game Saiyuki: Journey to the West for the PS1, which was a very decent RPG for its time and didn't stray too far from the source material. It was also the first time I've seen Sanzo able to be portrayed as female (and now thanks to this article, not the only time). So Sanzo was made into a princess for Starzinger? Interesting.
Roguespider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I was always a fan of Gensomaden Saiyuki. As much as it deviated from the source, I really enjoyed ADV's dub of the original series. The dialog between the characters just seemed more believable about 4 guys that don't necessarily get along but work together. I wasn't too happy when Geneon got the additional series and dubbed it differently.

Another adaption I'm fond of (though I'm pretty sure it deviated quite a bit from Journey to the West, haven't actually read the original) was the live action Forbidden Kingdom. Seems more like Journey to the West meets Karate Kid, but it was an enjoyable movie if you consider it by itself.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
In reference to The Forbidden Kingdom, I'll third how fond of that movie I am. Very Happy

Also, heck yeah, Patalliro Saiyuki! LOVE that series. Love the original Patalliro series, too, but since we're talking Journey to the West, I'll keep my enthusiasm to the more relevant title. I will say, though, Bancoran's not the bad guy in it. He just has questionable motives...
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

I was a huge fan of Shinzo when it aired on TV and I'll own it on DVD or VHS one day if it's the last thing my wallet does. Even then I knew the animation was bare-bones and yet I loved it.
sadly I don't think it ever got a VHS or DVD release (at least in my country). I've seen bootlegs of it once or twice online, but I'd rather torrent and burn to a DVD myself than buy a bootleg if buying legit isn't an option.
Cranium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Starzinger is based on Journey to the West? Oh, the things you learn. Had one VHS tape of that show dubbed in Finnish when I was a kid. Watched it countless times.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
gandhara, gandhara, they say it was in india~~
ladybastet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I found Alakazam the Great on NetFlix Instant and watched it because Mike Toole said I should (lol). It is surprisingly good considering its age and that it is firmly aimed at children.

I, too, wondered at the lack of a mention for Forbidden Kingdom but it's not really Journey to the West. I remain a firm fan of every bit of Saiyuki and really wish the end would become a series. I've even read all that is available of the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3